Maybe an other head producer in the game.

-
what do people think it is?
Heads that outflow most anything in the Mopar small block world, factory blocks that will support 1000 horse, tons of aftermarket support, wide availability.
They aren’t for me, but you definately need to get out more.
And it’s highly unlikely you are any more old school than I am.

People want to think this new **** is superior to anything else. It’s not. And that’s my point.

Aint got **** to do with old school/new school. Just because it’s new doesn’t make it good and just because it’s old doesn’t make it bad.

I get out plenty. Probably more than you. A 23 degree chevy will ***** slap an NA LS all day long.

Im not a big power adder guy so the Hemi never made me giggle. Big, heavy and NA slow. Same with any Hemi.

Ritter isn’t stupid. He wouldn’t build a head for something that is obsolete.

What I don’t see is a bunch of people falling over to build G3 Hemi heads, and that’s not because they are scared or stupid.

People want to think this new **** is superior to anything else. It’s not. And that’s my point.

Aint got **** to do with old school/new school. Just because it’s new doesn’t make it good and just because it’s old doesn’t make it bad.

I get out plenty. Probably more than you. A 23 degree chevy will ***** slap an NA LS all day long.

Im not a big power adder guy so the Hemi never made me giggle. Big, heavy and NA slow. Same with any Hemi.

Ritter isn’t stupid. He wouldn’t build a head for something that is obsolete.

What I don’t see is a bunch of people falling over to build G3 Hemi heads, and that’s not because they are scared or stupid.

Perception is reality. The new hemi stuff is very popular, fast or not( listening to you)
Barton, Arrington, Bischoff’s, big shops are specializing in that stuff. They aren’t dumb either.
Go to any big Mopar event the promoters are falling over themselves to create more classes for this stuff. They are a dime a dozen, tons of people have them and want to go to the track with them.

Perception is reality. The new hemi stuff is very popular, fast or not( listening to you)
Barton, Arrington, Bischoff’s, big shops are specializing in that stuff. They aren’t dumb either.
Go to any big Mopar event the promoters are falling over themselves to create more classes for this stuff. They are a dime a dozen, tons of people have them and want to go to the track with them.

If you were 30 years younger would you swap a Hemi in? Even the much loved G3 Hemi?

I wouldn’t do an NA Hemi then or now no matter how popular the general public thinks they are.

If you were 30 years younger would you swap a Hemi in? Even the much loved G3 Hemi?

I wouldn’t do an NA Hemi then or now no matter how popular the general public thinks they are.

I agree. Most of the Gen 3 aren’t fast NA. Just the new kid on the block and a “me too” item.

No I wouldn’t. I got out of racing for a few years to have a family, etc, etc, etc.
When I really got back into it again, 30 years ago, my thoughts hadn’t changed. Anything newer than a 71 was taboo, as was anything not LA small block.
But guys like me aren’t getting replaced by young guys with the same interests.
I am with you, the idea of trying to cut a light in a 4400 pound car you can’t see out of doesnt appeal to me..lol

one reason I like an old school distributor, simple and no lap top to tune, not many small blocks impress me

My take on this:
Ritter is selling mopar race small blocks so it makes sense based on those sales he has an idea of the potential for head sales. As mentioned he already cast a head (it was ported by a well known guy) and then checked over to redo the core box before getting delayed. Callies (actually the sister company that makes blocks) told me the plan is to make r3 blocks once the big blocks are finished, they have the original blue prints and are "licensed by mopar". Between this and the popularity of the newer trick flow heads/intakes there is obviously market enough for companies to take notice. If you go to the track and look at ford and chevy the new engines are extremely popular as well but you don't see the aftermarket shrinking on the older speed parts since it in fact helps the overall popularity of the brand. If you look at the mopar segment (which is obviously much smaller) I think we are actually seeing it expand for once and that is in no small part to the new hemi cars, drag racing, shows like road kill garage, graveyard cars etc. All this helps in getting more people interested and "new blood" with new ideas, lets just hope that people continue to open their wallets for new mopar parts to keep the momentum going for a while.

Well, I can't wait to see what the Ritter head is. Thanks for the info Newbomb. Keep it coming.
Small block Mopar for to the front!

You go to a big Mopar race event, 75% of the guys racing muscle car era cars are 55 and up.
Nostalgia super stock guys are older than that.
Guys with modern muscle cars are way younger and less into old stuff.
As I said , the LA type stuff is a dying breed, it isn’t a growth area.
Will be less and less of us older guys racing 60’s cars as time goes on

You go to a big Mopar race event, 75% of the guys racing muscle car era cars are 55 and up.

You need to see more than the race track. I met quite a few guys in their 30's and 40's building mopars.

I guess when Ritter doesn't sell anymore blocks and trickflow discontinues their small mopar lineup you can be the first to say I told you so.

I guess when Ritter doesn't sell anymore blocks and trickflow discontinues their small mopar lineup you can be the first to say I told you so.

Believe what you want. It’s a small market.
How many RItter blocks you figure have been sold in the what, 10 or so years they have been around?

How many RItter blocks you figure have been sold in the what, 10 or so years they have been around?

The potential market is huge if you are the only supplier. Like I said, Chrysler guys are so cheap they will live with compromised ring seal, marginally sealed head gaskets, bearings getting strange wear patterns because the block is flexing like a folding chair.

Interesting is I heard last night that one of the dyno’s I know of has purchased an analog blow by meter. That little truth detector will show how well the rings are sealed under a load.

I figure some guys are going to be singing the blues when they see their rings aren’t sealing like they should even though the builder used torque plates, used a profilometer to get the surface just right and the owner spent a crazy amount on rings.

Nobody's arguing the market size but even a blind man could see there are more performance parts than ever for the small block mopar. Bottom line is there are some companies that are willing/making big investments in an engine that you keep claiming is all but dead. I would think you would be happy about that instead of arguing about the futility of it.

45 years ago when I got into it I would have swapped a hemi in instead of a big block if the dollars were similar.
Small blocks really weren't a thing in the Mopar world back then if you wanted brute power.

I am a SBM guy. I've talked about switching over to a gen 3. But I doubt that I ever will. But my brother has a Challenger 1320 which is a 6.4 N/A. It's stock except for a smaller crank pulley, bigger injectors and tuned for e85. The car weighs 4320 with him in the car. It's ran 7.00 in the eighth, 11.00 in the quarter mile at 124 mph. Thats 636 hp out of a stock 392 ci. Gen 3. That's pretty impressive.

I am a SBM guy. I've talked about switching over to a gen 3. But I doubt that I ever will. But my brother has a Challenger 1320 which is a 6.4 N/A. It's stock except for a smaller crank pulley, bigger injectors and tuned for e85. The car weighs 4320 with him in the car. It's ran 7.00 in the eighth, 11.00 in the quarter mile at 124 mph. Thats 636 hp out of a stock 392 ci. Gen 3. That's pretty impressive.

No offense to you or your brother, that’s not impressive for a blower car. Not in my book anyway.

I can take about any 500 hp 408 with TF heads and put a blower on it and do that.

Again, I’m not pooping in your cornflakes, just pointing out what I see.

No offense to you or your brother, that’s not impressive for a blower car. Not in my book anyway.

I can take about any 500 hp 408 with TF heads and put a blower on it and do that.

It’s not a blower car.

It’s not a blower car.

Yeah, my bad. Like GM, Chrysler rode the he,I for all its worth and then some. Rather than developing a proper wedge (arguably the BEST NA chamber out there) they spent their money on that. Just dumb.

And, GM loves to use the L designation on everything. It’s stupid. Same with the Hemi. I don’t like liter sizing for engines because it’s absolutely inaccurate.

Again, my bad. It’s still a Hemi and NA it’s not impressive.

Anyone should be able to use new(er) SBM technology and build an engine far better than a Hemi.

The potential market is huge if you are the only supplier. Like I said, Chrysler guys are so cheap they will live with compromised ring seal, marginally sealed head gaskets, bearings getting strange wear patterns because the block is flexing like a folding chair.

Interesting is I heard last night that one of the dyno’s I know of has purchased an analog blow by meter. That little truth detector will show how well the rings are sealed under a load.

I figure some guys are going to be singing the blues when they see their rings aren’t sealing like they should even though the builder used torque plates, used a profilometer to get the surface just right and the owner spent a crazy amount on rings.
What kind of analog blow by meter did they get?

It's naturally aspirated. Challenger 1320 dosen't have a blower. And 636 hp out of a stock 392 naturally aspirated is pretty impressive in my opinion. I think that you may have it mixed up with a Hellcat or something.

-
Back