modern muscle

-
The 2.7 was so bad they won't even warranty them!!
I made the mistake of selling a 440 six pack 70 Challenger to buy a new 2012 SRT 392 not saying it wasn't a nice car and it was plenty fast. I just wasn't CRAZY about it. I realized "I'M AN OLD CAR GUY" traded it in on a new truck and haven't looked back. The 71 'CUDA I bought next made me CRAZY (AGAIN)

IMG_0843.JPG

One of the things I like about new muscle is the dual nature or variability of them. Most have a Sport mode now that at least changes the throttle and generally makes them louder. And the ability to have an auto that can shift smooth and nice so the significant other enjoys the ride or snaps the shifts hard. ABS that can give you a line lock. Adaptable suspension that can go from standard to drag, or stiff for cornering. Even the ability to change the tune based on how much corn is in the fuel. Lots of things that can be changed at the pick of a button.

And things like variable cam timing and dual runner intakes that make the motor act like something grandma can drive or wants to rip your face off, depending on tune and/or RPM and throttle position. And returns mileage a 500 HP old school motor can only dream of.

All the fun you want when you want it, but smooth, quiet and comfortable when applicable. Hard to do that in an old car.

I'm thinkin' i might enjoy a 300 hp V6 with 30 mpg...and they will do 0 - 60 in 5 sec. or so.
3.6 in an LX is a pretty good combo, I'm surprised at how well it moves my wife's grand cherokee, which is heavier.

would be really fun with a stick....to bad they never did that. friend has a 2014 camaro V6-5speed as a commuter car, and that it very sprightly, too. his other car is a warmed up 2012 ZL1.

for what it's worth, charger 1.0 (my toxic orange 2011 R/T that was T-boned and totaled in November 2019) would get an honest 30MPG calculated on freeway trips if the cruise was set to no more than 70. it was a base R/T with the stock 2.65 rear gear. charger 2.0 (toxic orange 2011 R/T road and track I picked up in Jan 2021), I've never gotten better than 26.5 mpg calculated on a road trip, the Road and Track gets a 3.04 rear. to be honest, the difference in acceleration due to the deeper gear is not really noticeable.

The A8 (automatic transmission 8spd) really makes modern cars truly enjoyable as you get a better driving experience (more gas mileage, better acceleration and more top end) over an old school 727, 999 (low 1st gear) , 518 and 545RFE. I listed the latter transmissions in chronological order as they were introduced and advanced.
I was originally impressed with my 2007 Hemi MegaCab’s driving experience but ultimately I’m regretting not getting a diesel version as she’s just too heavy for 345HP (or so) engine. The down low torque of a diesel engine would’ve made for a pleasant experience.
My 2022 Challenger RedEye’s 6th to 7th gear change takes place at 171MPH, with the AC on..

Nothing wrong with having both around. 120 degrees at the house yesterday, the '14 Redline R/T w/6 speed and 392s was much cooler (has AC) to ride in than the Dart.
20240526_073201.jpg

VideoCapture_20240711-155012.jpg

I think some of the modern muscle card are very cool, but I do not want to own one. The hard ride, very sensitive steering and the CANbus system along with electronically things that don't need to be controlled by a computer but are is what ruins it for me. I do love obd2 but it's how they implemented and integrated everything with most of the more modern cars from 2008 and up that ruins it. I was a mechanic or technician or whatever you want to call it, I saw this crap happening in real-time and some things that are very common now just did not sit well with me.

So there will only be certain rare circumstances where I would buy a modern muscle car, but I won't have it for anything normal or for long.

The truck I traded the SRT Challenger in on was a 2013 Longhorn with the 5.7 hemi and the 8 speed. The way that truck ran made me wish the Challenger would've been offered with the 8 speed in 2012.
I drove that truck for 10 years and loved it. Then sold it and bought a diesel even though I never thought I'd own one. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I'll NEVER own another gas powered truck. Even with full emissions I get over 18 mpg and it pulls my camper up hills without even down shifting ! A night and day difference with the Cummins. I like it so much I think about putting a Cummins in my 68 LOL!!!

The 8HP is the cat's meow, in my opinion. If I wasn't so much of a stick guy, my 5.7 swap would get one instead of the T56 Magnum. Even though I already bought the trans and kit, I still think about going with the 8HP and then have to shake my head and remind myself to keep going and not change directions.

I'm considering modern muscle...but keeping my classic mopar. Anybody else driving modern muscle and
what is your new ride?
I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona in 2014 and had wanted one since I first saw them in the dealership parking lots. A few light upgrades and it's a fun car for scooting around town. The Duster is a forever car though.

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-10 9.56.45 PM.png

Yea, modern muscle is great. I agree that the 8 speed auto is amazing, but on the flip side there really is nothing like the right older muscle car. My 4-speed Duster is comfortable and has a sound that is second to none. Even my 15 year old son say's, " Dad the Duster sounds like a NASCAR car." He loves it, and I do too. There's something about rowing gears with the Hurst Shifter while holding the Tuff steering wheel.

New vehicles are fun, I had a 2012 Challenger 5.7 6-speed it was a really fun car, I traded it in on my 2017 3500 which I still have, the truck gets way more use towing.

I later wanted another Challenger so I bought a 2021 Scat shaker car with a 6 speed, super fun car, but I started using it as a truck, hauling old mopar parts etc, so I traded it for a turbo wrangler with a 8 speed auto, super fun jeep and I don't feel guilty about hauling old car parts in it.

I think that I will keep the Jeep for a while, love the heated seats, and steering wheel, remote start etc, plus my granddaughter has already claimed it as hers when she turns 16.

I have a 2015 Scatpack and 2023 Hellcat. Love driving both of them. Get way more attention for the 1970 Challenger and 1969 Charger at car shows though.

20231007_141355.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, you can't go wrong with a modern Challenger 392, Camaro SS, or Mustang 5.0. They're each spectacular in their own way.

In my opinion:
Challenger looks the best, has the best sounding motor (6.4L/392)
Camaro drives the best- probably the quickest in the real world, handles awesome.
Mustang slowest of the three but splits the difference.

I'm on my third modern Mustang in a row and while I'm not a "Mustang Guy" or a Ford guy, I consistently find them to be the best performance car for the price. My 2020 GT 6spd has been to the drag strip, the autocross course, and a road course and it exceeds my expectations everywhere i take it. Strongly recommend.
IMG_5350.jpeg

I've got an 06 Magnum RT that I bought in 2020, with 120k on the clock. At 178k now and nothing major to report in terms of maintenance and such.
We moved my brother back from college in it, jammed 3 guys, his whole dorm worth of stuff in it and bombed across Montana at 90+ with absolutely no issues.
I wish they kept the wagon around to get the newer equipment like 8 speeds and better engines.

Have a 2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody, very comfortable and quite fast car, but I just do not love the modern muscle cars. I also have a 2016 Corvette Callaway SC757 Z06 7 speed manual, rides even better than the Challenger, as unbelievable as that sounds (magnetic ride suspension), which is a faster, handles a lot better, but is not as comfortable, but same thing here, I am not in love with the modern muscle cars. I was just driving my 1972 Olds 442 Convertible today with the top down and the wife ridding shotgun, the car does not handle or stop like a modern car and it a slow poke compared to the new muscle cars, even with the 455, but there is just something about driving a classic car that a modern car cannot get you. I don't know if it's the memories from the past, the coolness of these old cars or what, but I just really enjoy driving them. I have a 72 Duster 340 with a manual trans and a 71 Mustang Mach 1 351 4V 4 speed and I would sell the modern cars before I sell the old ones.

In a word: NO!

I have zero interest in modern muscle cars. I do drive a modern car, but it's a high mpg comfortable sedan that is NOT a hybrid or electric. My newest Mopar is older than our GTS was when we bought it...

No...modern muscle isn't for everyone. Do you guys think they should be at cruz night and car shows?

No...modern muscle isn't for everyone. Do you guys think they should be at cruz night and car shows?

why not? if they are car people they should be welcome. hell my 08 mustang (modern muscle) is now 16 years old. i know the 60's and 70's cars were in shows and cruises at that age.

I may not take the time to look at them (for that matter I don't tend to stop and look at Camaros or Mustangs from any year), but they belong.

I agree..it keeps the hobby strong and some are truly spectacular with the modern technology that is available.
I think the famed Shelby GT40 is now produced with a 660 hp V6. The 3.7 V6 mustang shifts at 7500 rpm with
the manual transmission. It produces 305 hp and is not turbocharged.

I agree..it keeps the hobby strong and some are truly spectacular with the modern technology that is available.
I think the famed Shelby GT40 is now produced with a 660 hp V6. The 3.7 V6 mustang shifts at 7500 rpm with
the manual transmission. It produces 305 hp and is not turbocharged.
The latest edition of the GT500 Shelby makes 760 hp from a supercharged 5.2 liter engine and is backed up by a 7 speed dual clutch transmission.

While I still like the modern muscle cars I would rather see the classic cars at shows, but the modern cars could be in a separate area. As for cruise nights, anything goes, I would rather see modern muscle than diesel trucks rolling coal and leaving a black cloud.
This weekend is our Street Machine Weekend here in town and there are literally thousands of people and cars lining the main streets, everything from Model Ts to Hellcats.

-
Back