Modify a Magnum for LA rocker gear oiling ?

-

Reaction score
Would it be possible do an magnum block like this for LA Heads ?

Looks fairly straightforward.

1722559284760.png

Don't see why not- beats trying to drill all the way down to the oil galley...
I've seen the lines run up to the rocker shaft end plugs, too.

Yes that can work if you drill the passages and use LA heads.

You can also pull the oil from the back of the block by tapping into the oil sender line.

Note this will provide full time oiling versus the LA blocks feed off the cam bearing which is ~ 6 degrees of rotation. You would want to reduce the passage size or use a carb jet to reduce the feed size to the shaft.

No reason it won't work. I think it's a better and easier idea than drillin slam through the block. Twice.

I wonder, tho, if there is "water" there in a Magnum block

I have a 94 360 magnum in the Dart and a spare 92 360 mag. Both have the oil passages drilled from the factory.
I got the 380hp crate engine don't know if any of them came drilled, I seen an article where they swap heads on the 300 hp crate and it didn't have them.

Would it be possible do an magnum block like this for LA Heads ?

Looks fairly straightforward.

View attachment 1716283863

I would look for a different place to pull oil from the rockers.

I find a place that puts oil to the rockers before it gets to the main oil gallery.

I’m just not a fan of pulling any oil out of that oil gallery.

On a Ritter I’m not sure where they would be without getting my eyes on the block but on any other block I pull the oil off the gallery that feeds the oil
pressure gauge.

I can take some pictures of what I do or maybe a video if I feel like it.

I want every drop of oil going to the bearings and not taking oil off the crank to feed the rockers.

Here's some images I found of the oiling.

Edit* Just noticed think this one top is big block.
1722618833819.png

1722618599988.png

1722618649320.png

Last edited:
Don't look like the left gallery is doing much besides the lifters, seems like might be a good spot.

D59459E7-5D90-4DFF-8F2D-BE6378BD53F1.png

E923DD42-5353-4F2D-81AC-671839CEB478.png

I have W2s on a 2001 magnum block and I oil through the back. Heads are drilled through to the rocker shaft stand, and the rear shaft bolt is double drilled. I drilled and tapped the AN fitting and use a .030 restrictor on each side. I also use pushrod oiling and it oils the pushrod tips and drips down on the rollers and springs. I have too much oil up top currently, I will be restricting it more.

Don't look like the left gallery is doing much besides the lifters, seems like might be a good spot.

Except the drivers side oil gallery is entirely fed from the number one main bearing.

In the OE configuration the drivers side head is oiled off the number 2 cam bearing and the lifters are oiled by the gallery that’s fed off the number one main bearing.

I try to eliminate all that convoluted oiling and just let the main oil gallery feed the crank.

Also remember you have to do something about the oil going to the number 2 and 4 cam bearings.

If you pull oil to feed the rockers off the oil pressure gallery you can block off the oil coming up from the cam to the heads.

I clock those two cam bearings so the oil holes on the block are covered and then I drill a new hole in the bearing once it’s in the block.

I could just drill it beforehand but I do it in the block.

Also remember that when you do any modifications to the oiling system that affects oiling to the rockers will almost always be full time oil to the rockers.

Chrysler didn’t design the system that way, so just like a big block you may need to restrict oil going to the rockers.

Full time oiling up there still requires a significant amount of oil and that oil can be better used somewhere else.

It's much easier to use stock Magnum lifters and hollow push rods with comp roller tip rockers. That's what I did with aluminum LA heads on a stock Magnum short block.

Cley

He shows how he's putting la heads on, drilled and tubed.

Seems like slot of work for no benefit other than that you could use stock rockers.

Cley
True, just came across the video and reminded of this thread, so just linked it here.

The right Aftermarket rockers are probably the best way unless you already have a good set of aftermarket rockers then something like this could work.

Agreed! But most if not all aftermarket rockers will work with the correct length push rod!

Cley

I bought a '94 5.2 hoping it had the oil holes from the factory.... but it didn't.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think with a jig a guy could drill this at home without too much complications. Haven't tried it though

-
Back