Mopar Action SB head article

-
yeah, just to make them look like stock heads.

They look like a Magnum/LA hybrid to me.

Magnum chambers and ports, LA valve gear and intake bolt pattern.
I wonder if you can bolt a stock exhaust manifold up to them.

My 85 318 has Magnum ports and chambers with LA rocker gear....very nice combo. They can be ported to flow with any standard intake/exhaust head out there!
These were the same basic heads available from 85-91 on all the 5.2's and 5.9's!

P.S. Mshred, they used a set of second hand Super Stock ported Mopar Performance Magnum R/T heads for that engine. It was a later model roller 318 block bored .030" over with 10.44 comp and a 340 crank that was hand massaged (knife edged and cleaned up, lightened some). They used a Comp solid flat tappet cam with 247 @ .050", HS 1.7 and Crane 1.6 rockers yeilding .622" intake and .597" exhaust. It made 477 hp and 427 tq on pump gas. Very stout and it was still climbing at 6500 rpm. That was the cut-off for the contest. It would have probably made about 482 or so at 7000 rpm.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0901phr_mopar_318_magnum_engine/index.html

My 85 318 has Magnum ports and chambers with LA rocker gear....very nice combo. They can be ported to flow with any standard intake/exhaust head out there!
These were the same basic heads available from 85-91 on all the 5.2's and 5.9's!

That would be the 302 casting head and the ports are smaller than magnum ports as are the valves. The same vintage 360 head was a 308 and it did have ports very close to the same as the magnum but it was an open chamber head.

The 302 head can be ported to flow very well but put the same work into a mgnum head and it will out flow it.

dgc333 you brought up a good point about the aluminum heads that i thought i had just read somewhere about the warping and compression...mopar340dave that 318 was killer i agree- very stout little motor...its amazing what the right group of parts can do for such an overlooked motor...Do those indy's come assmebled for the price, or bare? they seem pretty good too...i wonder which is better, those or the engine quest ones (i wouldnt know as im not 100% on how head flow, chamber size, seats, etc. affect performance)

Steel heads are 40+ year old technology..aluminum heads are the here,now, and future technology..i know if just about anything happens to my aluminum heads they CAN be repaired..the same CAN'T be said for steel heads...as far as steel heads supposedily making more power then aluminum..any e.t.'s to back this myth up...

I like taking 40 pounds off the front of my car, especially since my car is manual steering. That is why I went with the Edelbrocks.

If the money is available, I spend it on the aluminum heads! No argument there!!!

Very interesting article about smallblock cylinder heads in the new Mopar action. If you were even thinking about getting a new set of heads, I'd read this first. A surprise winner!

It just occurred to me. How the heck did you get a JUNE Mopar Action so early? Best I can do here in Canada is a FEB issue.

I just found the same magazine at Wally World. What a useless article.

The writers at Mopar Action think they are a lot funnier than they actually are.

It says the EQ iron heads flow = to or better than the Edelbrock Magnum aluminums, and proceeds to bash the Edelbrocks for using cheap, readily available Chevy stud mount rockers. (doesn't mention anything about the Magnums using Ford pedestal mount rockers though...). Doesn't point out the improved retainer/guide clearance in the Edelbrocks either.

The article does claim that despite Edelbrock's assurances that their heads are 58cc, that they are in fact, 62.5 cc combustion chambers, which could be the one useful piece of information in the entire article.

Steve

Steel ...as far as steel heads supposedily making more power then aluminum..any e.t.'s to back this myth up...

No myth just plane simple physics. The aluminum sucks away more heat than iron, less heat means less cylinder pressure which means less power.

Why do you think they tell you run more compression with aluminum heads? Its to make up for the lost heat do to aluminums ability to transfer heat better than iron. This is also the reason they put coatings on chambers and piston tops, to keep the heat in the engine for more power.

When you burn a gallon of gasoline it has the potential to release a fixed number of BTUs of energy. Its that energy in the form of heat that pushes the piston down the cylinder. A 4 cycle internal combustion engine is not very efficient. Some of the heat is used to push the piston some is disipated away into the metal of the engine and the rest goes out the exhaust. Anything you can do to keep the heat in the cylinder will make more power.

No myth just plane simple physics. The aluminum sucks away more heat than iron, less heat means less cylinder pressure which means less power.

Why do you think they tell you run more compression with aluminum heads? Its to make up for the lost heat do to aluminums ability to transfer heat better than iron. This is also the reason they put coatings on chambers and piston tops, to keep the heat in the engine for more power.

When you burn a gallon of gasoline it has the potential to release a fixed number of BTUs of energy. Its that energy in the form of heat that pushes the piston down the cylinder. A 4 cycle internal combustion engine is not very efficient. Some of the heat is used to push the piston some is disipated away into the metal of the engine and the rest goes out the exhaust. Anything you can do to keep the heat in the cylinder will make more power.

You sir,are 100% correct about the heat transfer properties of aluminum.

Wow! Did it just get quite in here or what?!

Not to stray off topic, but it says in your profile that you're an engineer. Which kind of engineer, if I may ask? Mechanical? If so that's really cool because it's what I want to major in in college.

Back on topic, what other engine designs are really more efficient? I know turbines are, but only in certain cases.

Not to stray off topic, but it says in your profile that you're an engineer. Which kind of engineer, if I may ask? Mechanical? If so that's really cool because it's what I want to major in in college.

Back on topic, what other engine designs are really more efficient? I know turbines are, but only in certain cases.

If you are a gearhead , you should major in Mechanical Engineering is school. I did and really love my job (most days). While in school I participated in SAE (society of automotive engineers) student design competitions, basically got to built little race cars with other folks money!! You gotta love college!!

Now 20 years later I am working OT to finance barcket racing my 73 Dart Sport, wishing I was back in school.

Bob

PS: most engine designs are inefficient , solar cells on spacecraft generally run around 25-28% efficiency while are internal combustion engine less than 20% (as I remember it from over 20 years ago).

If you are a gearhead , you should major in Mechanical Engineering is school. I did and really love my job (most days). While in school I participated in SAE (society of automotive engineers) student design competitions, basically got to built little race cars with other folks money!! You gotta love college!!

Now 20 years later I am working OT to finance barcket racing my 73 Dart Sport, wishing I was back in school.

Bob

PS: most engine designs are inefficient , solar cells on spacecraft generally run around 25-28% efficiency while are internal combustion engine less than 20% (as I remember it from over 20 years ago).

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the SAE program. It's funny, I've wanted to be a Mechanical/Automotive engineer since I was 6. I don't know what it is, sometimes I really think I was born with a screwdriver in my hand! LOL!!

Hey there MopeKid. If you're a gearhead and mopar fan, then definitely go for the mechanical engineering. I am ME also and it is great field. These days though the opportunities won't be in traditional auto field unless you want to work in China or Korea. But environmental engineering and alternative energy production should be good fields in future. I myself went into the mining industry because I fell in love with the huge mining shovels and draglines. It was a field that I loved and retired from the mining company. Now I have some time to spend on the mopars.

Getting back to the topic of heads. I have a SB 408 with RHS 360Magnum heads that got 2.02/1.62 valves and a mild porting job. The heads do a great job with 10.8 CR that turned out 520HP. We did not have them flow tested as there was no bench available, but estimate about 270 cfm.

I have degrees in Aero Space, Electronics and Computer Science. I have worked in materials research at a jet engine manufacturer, ran the engineering lab for a small company that made heat exchangers for automotive and aero space applications, was a product line engineer for a company that made process control instrumentation for nuclear power plants, worked for a telecomunications equipment manufacturer doing product safety/EMC/telecom design & approvals, worked as a reliability/safety engineer for a company that designs signalling systems for the rail roads, worked as a mission assurance engineer for a company making fiber optic gyro navigation systems for space applications and currently work as a new product introduction engineer for a company making electronic counter measure products for the Navy.

I have been very fortunate in my 30+ year career to have had the opportunity to do a lot of different things and find it more enjoyable to be involved closer to the manufacturing and systems side of things than in pure design work. I have been a manager but was not happy doing that work so I look for senior level individual contributor positions now.

I think the crux of the magazine article was to compare the flow rate of various MoPar small block heads with that of the much ballyhooed Chebby LT1 head.

I didn't realize the LT1 head was ballyhooed. The Ford GT-40P head is vastly superior and the LS1 head makes it look like a frigging joke. I guess it was a head that the stock Magnum could beat, so they picked it.

I did think their flowbench results with the EQ magnum were interesting. If that's even half accurate, thats the biggest bargain in performance heads for Mopar ever.

One of the Ford magazines actually ran a cylinder head shootout a couple of years ago where they took all the common Ford heads and gave flowbench and dyno results of each. I'm sure it was a *lot* of work for some poor bastard, but it was entertaining and informative.

I'd really like to see a dyno comparison of the EQ magnum and the Edelbrock Magnum on a 5.9 on an engine dyno.

:-D

I have degrees in Aero Space, Electronics and Computer Science. I have worked in materials research at a jet engine manufacturer, ran the engineering lab for a small company that made heat exchangers for automotive and aero space applications, was a product line engineer for a company that made process control instrumentation for nuclear power plants, worked for a telecomunications equipment manufacturer doing product safety/EMC/telecom design & approvals, worked as a reliability/safety engineer for a company that designs signalling systems for the rail roads, worked as a mission assurance engineer for a company making fiber optic gyro navigation systems for space applications and currently work as a new product introduction engineer for a company making electronic counter measure products for the Navy.

I have been very fortunate in my 30+ year career to have had the opportunity to do a lot of different things and find it more enjoyable to be involved closer to the manufacturing and systems side of things than in pure design work. I have been a manager but was not happy doing that work so I look for senior level individual contributor positions now.

I make pizza............

yes the test are all done on the same flow bench. They even bring in a chevy head,, The EQ heads flow very well out of the box,,

What is "Aero Space"?
readingsmiley.gif

-
Back