Mopar's best engines. Your opinion and why.

-
The 383 has always been my power plant I enjoyed more then any other and love the long life they gave, so in my world I think the 383 had everything for my world.. JMO.
I could not have said it better Tinbasher =D>

The 413/426 Max Wedge engines, by far! Just think about what they were.....how much they had, and consider what GM and Ford offered at that time! That musta made those GM/Ford engineers drop the cigarettes right outta their mouths when it was first released!!

340? Yes, that was the 1st thing that popped into my head. I like the fact that it's a 4.040 bore, plus all the other goodies that we all know and love about 340s and Mopar SBs in general.

426 Hemi? Sure.....but it was always pricey, so it's almost "not fair". I'm also a huge fan of the 273/235 H.P., but the tiny bore always turned me off. BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of the slant 6......but there were so few hyper-packs made.....it's hard to consider it a factory option, kinda like the D-Dart.

1. Max Wedge motors
2. 340
3. 426 Hemi
4. 273 Commando

I'd have to put the 440 in the same performance capabilities with the 427 Chevy/Ford as far as bore and stroke are concerned. The larger stroke, 460 Ford, 454 Chevy and the BOP 455's would drag a heavy car with a 3ish gear along pretty darn good.

The two engines I wish Ma would have built, were a 3ish" stroke small block and a 4"ish big block. Would have givin' us a lot more combinations to swap around these days. :D

The 413/426 Max Wedge engines, by far! Just think about what they were.....how much they had, and consider what GM and Ford offered at that time! That musta made those GM/Ford engineers drop the cigarettes right outta their mouths when it was first released!!

340? Yes, that was the 1st thing that popped into my head. I like the fact that it's a 4.040 bore, plus all the other goodies that we all know and love about 340s and Mopar SBs in general.

426 Hemi? Sure.....but it was always pricey, so it's almost "not fair". I'm also a huge fan of the 273/235 H.P., but the tiny bore always turned me off. BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of the slant 6......but there were so few hyper-packs made.....it's hard to consider it a factory option, kinda like the D-Dart.

1. Max Wedge motors
2. 340
3. 426 Hemi
4. 273 Charger/ Commando

Agreed! The Max Wedge motors were before their time.

It's been said before that mopar missed the boat when they didn't make a big valve wedge head for the big bore 440.

Small blocks, both LA and Magnum style. Just a great all around engine.

I loved working on the Small Block Mopars

Block Weight...165 lbs. {Approx.}

I could lift them up by hand, and toss them onto the Jet Spray Washer table.

Mopar used high nickle cast iron for their blocks for long life.

For street duty i'd say the LA's are hard to beat, I like the earlier ones with the steel cranks,with a few mod's they can turn some rpm's,
For race i like the 440's, There's nothing like a well built high compression 440 running c16. I have both.

I fall on the side of technology, its hard to beat the new hemi if you're building a street/strip car and hellbent on keeping it mopar powered. The driveability + power is not matched by the other engines.

340 In a Duster...guy on a budget race car that outran the small block Chevy's and Ford's u...even left a few big blocks behind. I read in a "History of Muscle Cars" book the 1971 340 Duster was considered the best value $/performance of it's time...I don't claim to be an expert, but I'll go along with that!

Lets just discuss the different engines and why you think they are superior. tmm

That is a loaded question. LOL!

MY own personal favorite is very different from most of your popular responses.

I had a lifetime (and, I'm 74!!!) of 318's, 340's and 360's, all of which were really, really satisfying and exciting in their own way. I never had a big block, but I am sure I would have loved it, if I did.

My last performance engine was a 360-Magnum, with a Vortech supercharger, which the engine liked... a LOT! (Still have it...)

However, the one that really got my juices flowing, BIG TIME, was an early, 225 slant six in a Gen II A Body. A turbocharged slant 6 in a '64 Valiant...

The car is light... 2,700 pounds, and the engine is lighter than a V8, so the weight-distribution is about as good as you can get... and it drives very well.

But, the engine is the thing...

You might say, FOUL! ANY of the V8s mentioned will make TONS more power than this /6, with a turbo attached!

True... to a point. But, consider this:

Slant six motors are cheap to come-by... Ours was given to us...

They never seem to perform very well, normally-aspirated (regardless of the modifications done to them,) due, in no small part, to the poor-breathing of the OEM head, which was designed with the 170 in mind. There's just no room for big valves and ports.

It was an aluminum engine, so the block had to be designed with that in mind, and after 60,000 aluminum copies, Ma gave up the ghost, and all production was changed over to cast iron... no more aluminum.

BUT, when they changed the block's material, they didn't do anything, structurally, to weaken the block or forged crank. It was cheaper just to leave everything alone... so, they did.

That is probably where that motor got its reputation for longevity... They are legendary in that respect.

So, as it turns out, all that structural rigidity, block stiffness, (the head weighs 84 pounds!,) and the short. forged, 4-main-bearing crank (with bearings the same size as a 426 HEMI,) makes it a perfect candidate for forced induction.

In short, they can withstand boost-amounts that will blow the crank of my 360 Magnum right out onto the ground.

There are two FABO members who have built examples of what 25+ pounds of boost can do for a slant six. Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson both have slant six motors that arguably (I say "arguably," because they haven't had them on a dyno, yet,) make in excess of 500 horsepower, which was done without ANY hi-tech hardware at all, and both engines' red-line is about 5,500 rpm.

Turbos don't like camshaft--overlap, so both of these engines idle, pretty-much like a stocker, due to their mild camshaft specs.

The '66 Valiant (2,800-pounds) that Ryan has his engine in, has run 10.74-seconds, at 127mph, with a 727 transmission... might have gone 130 with a 904... dunno.

Tom Wolfe's car (3,300-pound '70 Dart,) ran 120mph, at 11-flat into a 15-mph headwind...

That's impressive performance from two cars that both use a 2.76:1 final gearing... WHY? They run better that way... Deep-gears and these engines don't mix.

THAT kind of performance is the reason I have changed my allegiance from any number of V8 cars to a slant six...

They are cheap to build... stock valve train... except for the very mild cam... and use NO hi-tech parts...

They will fit into anything from a '60 Valiant, up, and don't need an 8.75" rear (and, its high-numerical-ratios,) to run good... you can use a cheap, readily-available, 8.25"... with a 2.76... Turbo slant sixes are like a fuel motor; they like to be "held back"... makes the turbo spool, I guess.

Am I building one? YES! A clone of the two 500-HP engines I described. It's about ready to make its debut with 10-pounds of boost, for starters. More later...

Can't imagine a reason NOT to build one!!! :blob:

Attachments

• js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 208
  • js640_IMG_0829.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 208
And it took you some experience, to get there Bill! This is a compliment! Sometimes, the best basic equipment, lies unknown beneath the media hype......Experience, gives that extra information....

And it took you some experience, to get there Bill! This is a compliment! Sometimes, the best basic equipment, lies unknown beneath the media hype......Experience, gives that extra information....

That is a fact, but if ~I~ can do it, anyone can do it...

You hold your statement,with grace, no ego. That is priceless...

You hold your statement,with grace, no ego. That is priceless...

Thanks for the kind words!

What I meant was, the components inside this engine (the 500 hp one,) except for the 198 (virtually 7-inch) rods and piston-ring package (forged, Wiseco/K-1,) are very basic, simple parts... the cam is a flat-tappett, the rockers and pushrods are stock, and the valve springs are 340, with a mild inner.

It has a (blow-thru-modified,) Holley 4bbl on a slant six 4bbl manifold... no fuel injection and no computer... a stock distributor hooked to an MSD 6-AL Digital module. Eighteen degrees of advance, LOCKED...

The hardest thing about building this engine was O-Ringing it, using a rented "KIT" from Iskenderian.

Like I said...
"Anyone can do this..." I really believe that. and, 500 HP can be a lot of fun, in a A-Body!!! :cheers:

Please understand that, without Tom and Ryan showing the way, this would never have happened...

...........I have to go with the 340, it also has the fame to go along with it......only 2 engines with more flare are the 426 Hemi and the mighty Max.......kim....

I think this new v6 is the best ever. 305 HPfrom a 3.6 and its feather weight with good torque. Makes a new v6 Challenger with the 8 speed run as fast as last gen Charger with the Hemi. If a 440 made that much power per inch it would need to make 610hp, and its in your rental minivan.

Love all the different responses. That's a serious slant you have there Bill. (and Tom and Ryan)

A 'Blast-from-the-Past'

1962..... 383/343 HP {Dual-Quad}

That engine owned Stock Class from 1962 thru 1971.

Then, the NHRA 'F****D' Mopar..........

My dream engine would be a 354 Early Hemi. I never drove one but there has to be a reason they were banned from competition by the NHRA.

That being said, probably the 1971 340 with a manual transmission. Anyone who had one would tell you, it was very hard to beat and still got good gas milage.

It is a hard decision since they all will run great when set up for performance. I've hot rodded everything from a 170 cu in slant six, to a 273 Commando, to 340's 318's and 360's. I even lucked into a 68 383 Formula S. All were Daily Drivers in Florida, Maryland and South Dakota. All were very fast, efficient and could be counted on to start and run all day at 70 to 80 mph. My little brother would cruise at 100 mph across the western states in a 67 Commando Barracuda. Never a problem. Pick one, Pick any, They are all great. High nickel blocks, Shaft mounted rockers, Good flowing heads, Forged rods, where do you stop? One of my friends races a small block Chevy. He probably spent $10,000 to get it up to a stock small block Mopar. I have a "66 "4 speed OD Commando Formula S Barracuda and a "68" 383 Auto Formula S Barracuda. The decision I have to make is, do I put a 340 or a 354 Hemi in my brothers 67 Barracuda??? Life is Good.

-
Back