Mopars you should have purchased

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
I should of purchased the '71 Charger SE with the matching 383 magnum motor for 4500. All it needed was a new interior, dash pad, consol controls, and trim and bumpers put back on (already painted).:angry7:

Every last dang one of them! LOL

68 Formula S convertible Dark green w/ white interior. 340, 4 speed, tach, everything. Laying outside the fence barely off the road, top gone, pitiful shape in 1989. Shop owner quoted a sale price from car owner of 2500.00. I thought I'd be slick and let it lay there a couple more weeks then show up with 2100.00 cash. Meanwhile the car owner came and got it. Took it back to Virginia :(

1970 Super Bee. 4-speed, BB. Ran fair, my pal drove it home about 100 miles. I found it for him.

70 Coronet. Clean, but in peices with 440/727 for 1k. Same friend. At the time I couldn't raise $50.00 so I didn't pursue it. I probably could do something now but times have changed.

He ended up with cancer and then gave me the car. I was more worried about seeing him off properly than the car. Then time passed and it would have been awkward to ask for it so I did not. Even though our respective families still hang out together.

The strange thing is that I found him all the cars, and a few more. I was too stupid playing with Fords to figure it out. This was in the first muscle car rush of the early 90's. All around me were into Mopars, but I couldn't see the light until the day I left the area. It was too late then.

Time moves on. Now that I would like to share the Mopar thing with him and he has passed on.

And so the world turns....

ROB

1970 aar cuda.$6500.00
The car was in great shape,i was working on my dart at the time and went
to see him about a manual steering gear.This was in 1995 so i was not
long out of high school and not making much $$$$$$$$$.Lots of regret:pale:

Red 69 'cuda 340. Was looking at a white, plain jane 340-s notchback 4spd, but instead saw the fellows other car. Loved it so much, I couldn't buy the white notch.

FM3 70 Duster 340 4-spd. Had money burning a hole in my pocket and responded to an ad for a Duster. It was painted yellow and grey (primer), but when I saw the tag I spied the FM3 code and started getting excited. Another fellow was there talking to him, so I walked over and started peeling off the hundreds. The other fellows jaw dropped, but the owner told me he just took $50 to hold it for two weeks. I said, you're asking $2400, I'll give you $2700 today. He stuck to his word and honored the deposit. The fellow who bought the car ended up becoming a friend, although his decision to paint it EV2 was a little disappointing. Pink is for girls he says.. lol

Grant

70 Hemi Cuda $6,000.00

Med Blue, not sure code, black interior auto looked great but had a crack in the dash.

I thought he wanted TOO MUCH MONEY for it, what a dumb as*

He wanted my 71 Cuda Convertible and we tried to work a trade but in mid 80's I didn't have the cash to spend on a hemi Cuda. Now if I still had the Convertible Cuda it would be worth as much or more than a Hemi Cuda coupe

440 R/T Challenger for $2200 in 1991. Hemi orange. Running, straight car. Owner added a 6 pack to it. Just out of high school, no money. :sad:

my dad had a green 1970 aar cuda 340, he had it through the early 80s and was going to keep it for me when i turned 16, but the title was in his brother-in-laws name and his brother-in-law needed cash so he sold it for around $2000

Mopars I should have kept:
'69 340 Swinger - cut it to make a race car in the late '70s, then sold it in the early '90s when I re-married and new wife didn't have any interest in racing.
'70 Charger 500 - traded it to my parents in '73 for Ford pickup when my 'ex' and I bought our house. Still have the house but sure wish I still had that triple-black Charger to go with my 'new' '69 Dart that's now under construction.

I almost traded my first car, '69 Coronet 440 for a '73 360 Challenger, it was rough but a driver, I kinda regret it now, I regret selling the Coronet even more.

It seems I've come to regret either getting rid of my mopars when I did or getting rid of them at all. Sold my '70 factory Top Banana 440/4-speed Charger R/T roller project for $500 and my complete '70 Factory Top Banana 383 Charger 500 for $2000 right before the last big price boom.

Oh well, the only one I really want back is my Coronet, I still have dreams about that car, I majorly want it or another. I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed the boat on some car deals....I feel much better knowing we all screw up sometimes

I know we will all have a laugh at my expense here but I'm good with that.

In about the year 2000 I bought a 1975 Plymouth Duster. It was a /6 4-speed OD car. No rust at all. One owner. Also had a few dents and a cooked interior.

This was my first Mopar.

I had recently parted a 75 Valiant with BBP disks. I also had a 400 with a manual flywheel etc. that I traded with the car.

I had the big stuff on hand to do a mellow BB Duster to drive.

We had come into a place overnight (literally overnight) that we bought. And there was stress and the usual financial crunch with an unexpected move etc.

I got in a hurry, and traded my pal for a some parts I needed for my DD. He got the better end of it, and still has the car which leers at me everytime I go to his shop.

The neat thing is, that I ended up having to take an emergency 2 month job in town. 100 miles a day in my 350 powered LandCruiser.

I could have driven the Duster.......

Valuable lesson for me was to think long and hard before I get rid of old iron.

I may try and pry the car back from him, we'll see what he says.

ROB

Believe this or not, and I know some of you probably won't, we had a chance to buy a Superbird with what the ad said was a "426 motor" and 4 Speed, we presume original......Garage kept with some other junk...owner died and the kids were selling.....For sale for $3000.......That's $3000., in central NY around 1994 or 5 if I remember right.........

The wife and I saw the ad as soon as the sale paper hit the stands, and put the phone on speed redial............When it finally rang, the owner said "I'm sorry, we just sold the car"..........We LABORED with her on it, assuring her that we would pay her more if need be, or come right over with the payment.......No go.............

We still have nightmares..............Sick feeling...............a really sick feeling............wish it had never happened. :angry7:

a big ol 70s C-body for $1800. i can still buy it, but dont have the $ or storage for it :( and any other mopar i want that i cant afford/store

'71 Plymouth Duster 340.
Original Plum Crazy paint with White vinyl top, original power plant, four speed, 8 3/4 w/ 3.91s, bucket seats. (white interior)
The quarters and trunk were eat up with rust and the shark tooth grille was gone. The motor was froze up according to the owner.
The owner wanted $1,800 for the car. My uncle and I passed due to the rust and frozen motor...and the fact that I just bought the solid FJ6 '71 Duster to build for my first car...Now, all the metal could have been easily replaced and I would have never been upside down on an original 340 car like that.
I hate to think about it now...
I went back several months later to find out that it was sold.
Sucks.
This was back in '97 or '98.

73 340 Duster, 1992, sitting in a used car lot on one of those car stands, Anahiem Ca, on Beach Blvd, for $1500.00.

I was driving my 78 LeBaron Coupe, and still lick myself for not buying it.

Lemon Twist with black trim and black interior, Automatic

Now I'll make you cry.....
As you might know, I worked at a C/P dealer back in the early 70's.

I could have bought a 71 340 Cuda convert, that was one of our demos, in 73 for $2500. 2 window stickers and 1 and 1/2 data tags! I found it the 02 Nats with 55k miles on it and absolutley pristine and original. It stayed under MSO until 1995.

It gets worse...think of all the Hemi Cuda Converts that I could have ordered at cost!!!

Could not afford one then (approx. $4k) and can't afford them now.

My buddy Dave could have had a '71 cuda 440 drop top but didn't buy it because the clutch was stiff and it didn't have power breaks. He had the money in hand but instead bought a '70 chally that had a 318 and power everything (4spd as well). This was mid to late '70s. Now he has a van. o well

Not that gut-wrenching, but still...

73 Challenger original 318 4-Speed car (no drivetrain). Decent body, decent interior... $2800 in 2006

I don't viciously regret it like a lot of stories on here, but still kick myself in the *** a little bit for this one since I have impulse bought so much **** for around the same price in the past that I really didn't want in the first place.

It was an available challenger for less than 3K and I passed it up...

I love my A-Body though. And selling it to write something like this in the future about my Duster hopefully won't happen.

A 67 Plymouth Belvedere. Silver with a black vinyl top & magnum 500's. 318 A/C car. It was absolutely spotless! The guy wanted 3500 for it but I had just turned 16 & was broke & my folks couldnt see spending that kind of money for a car that old :(

W i was 15 i was looking to buy my first car .. i had cash and i looked at several good deals.. this was 1992 first was a 70 duster 318 4 speed rust free primered for $500, next was a 1967 fury 3 4door, i suspect it was an ex-cop car because it looked stock (it was a 383 auto) but hauled a$$! big time ! it had stock steels with dog dish caps,also primered for $350.. and the one i really regret was a 1968 charger 318 auto immaculate paint and body but no interior (i mean none, it had the empty dash and 1 bucket seat and that was it) for $800 my dad wouldnt let me buy it because he said i would never be able to find all the parts to put the interior back together... if i had only known... thats when i found my 64 barracuda 273 4 speed car for $300 that i currently still own .. to this day i think my b-cuda was probably in the worst shape of the whole bunch,and the only reason my dad let me buy it was because it didnt run... i think he regretted it after i got it running though, because i was constantly getting tickets, but after it beat the swb chev with the crate 454 it was the fastest car at school!!

my dad and i purchase just about every one we come across. which is why he has 10 cars at his house and i have three at mine. he is currently trading sidework for a 72 charger with a 383. we just dont know where it is gonna go yet.

the car i have now i just knew i could'nt pass it up so i scrapped up my cash and paid for it knowing not another one would come along with these options and rust free as this one is in along time it took me bout 3 years to find the right duster i just knew i'd be kicking myself in the *** AS ALL OF U ARE, if i did pass on it

-
Back