mufflers

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
I see a great deal of discussion on this board and otheres regarding Flowmaster mufflers. Many dont like them and thinkl they have a tinny sound,which I am inclined to agree with. I would definitely regard Dynomax as being "better". I also see a lot of cherry bomb commercials and wonder what the hype is all about. My local jobber started carrying Thrush muffler as well.

Lets say you wanted the best flowing muffler out there. What would you choose?

How about a compromise between quite and performance?

I'm not to sure about mufflers. I know I don't like the way FlowMasters sound and I'm planning on get a set of Purple Hornies header mufflers.

hooker areo chamber,or bullet pro turbos.i also had a set of xlerator mufflers on one of my trucks,they were ss and had oval cases,for being a straight through design they were very quiet

Here is a excellent chart to show what the flow numbers are and loudness.

I went with the Dynomax welded Ultra-flos. On the chart it has the highest flow of 101%.

silentpower2.JPG

i am thinkin about electric cutouts. i mean whats better than plain old open headers? :) but in the meantime i am gonna run max wedge mufflers from the accurate exhaust reproductions. but that list really says it all...

I have used Flowmaster & Dynomax super turbos, My Scamp still has Flowmasters on it, but I'm waiting to replace the entire system before switching to the Dynomax's. IMO a car with a stock camshaft sounds real good with flowmasters, but if you have a bunch of duration, they sound pretty ratty. My Duster has Thrush turbo style mufflers & sounds like total garbage , I'll be junking those as soon as money permits.

i am thinkin about electric cutouts. i mean whats better than plain old open headers? :) but in the meantime i am gonna run max wedge mufflers from the accurate exhaust reproductions. but that list really says it all...

If you install cut outs don't use the ones made by QuickTime... they will not last very long... believe me. I could right a entire page of how many problems I had with just one on my Dodge Ram.

This is the ones I highly recommend. http://www.kirkracing.com/
Momoparman runs them on is cuda.

100_2178w.jpg

i put magnaflow's on the wagon. they sound really good, a little high pitched, but it is a slant six. i will probably put them on our 72 charger when it gets to thats point. oh yeah and i also have bolt on cutouts for when i want to be loud.

P8083949.jpg

I did'nt see Magnaflow on that chart,for my money they're the best out there..i had dynomax ultraflos on my previous duster a great sounding muffler,but not quite as good as the Magnaflows...flowmasters or (crap masters) as we call them sound the same on everything lousey,you can always tell when something is coming down the road with flowmasters on it no matter what they're on....

I did'nt see Magnaflow on that chart,for my money they're the best out there..i had dynomax ultraflos on my previous duster a great sounding muffler,but not quite as good as the Magnaflows...flowmasters or (crap masters) as we call them sound the same on everything lousey,you can always tell when something is coming down the road with flowmasters on it no matter what they're on....

Probably because the Fagnaflow isn't even worth testing!

Don't get upset... I'm just joking with ya!

My neighbor has a set put on his thunderbird (302 with super charger) and there is really not anyway of describing how awful they sounded.... the stock mufflers sounded better than that. I'm not talking about the loudness ... I'm talking about the sound they made...weird noisy sound. I heard it about two days ago and it sounds like it has got better.... maybe they are burning in.

How about DR Gas stuff? I knew aguy who was using it on his super bee.Pretty loud...

ive heard some decent things with warlocks.

I would have to say they more than likely sound like Dynomax Super Turbos since the warlock design is very similar to the turbos.... with them plugged off of course.

Yes, they are loud. My feelings on that is the cops let all the Harley guys run around with straight pipes so what the hay? 7172 Duster is running 3 1/2" bullets and does sound sweeeet. Check out this video which you might have already seen.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=42314

I think those more for race cars that race at a track that requires mufflers.

My guess is that they would be way "attention getting" loud on a street car.

Flowmaster Flowmaster Flowmaster.

In my opinion nothing sounds meaner, healthier, rumblier, and flat out screems like a banshee when ya release the feed tube to the engine....Wont ever put any of that other crap on a car again. been through them all....

again...its all my opinon... feel free to use the others if ya like that sissy car sound :)

-RPM

In my opinion nothing sounds meaner, healthier, rumblier, and flat out screems like a banshee when ya release the feed tube to the engine....Wont ever put any of that other crap on a car again. been through them all....

again...its all my opinon... feel free to use the others if ya like that sissy car sound :)

-RPM

I have nothing against Flowmaster. I had them on my car for years... got one on my truck now but it does not sound like a Flowmaster. Probably because of the catalytic converter. For some reason I got tired of the sound and wanted something a little less tin can sound.

The mufflers I have now has a deeper rumble than the Flowmasters... that's is what I really wanted. My storm door rattles now when the car is running.. it didn't do that with the Flowmasters. That tells me that it is putting off a deeper tone (Resonance)sp??. Kind of like sub woofers would produce a lower tone than just standard speakers.

My mom even noticed the difference. She said that the car sounds like my old 68 Charger which had a built big block 383 in it.

I wouldn't go as far to say I wouldn't run Flowmasters again but I know I wouldn't EVER run those Fagnaflows mufflers! LOL

There is a whole lot of Flowmaster bashing on this forum but in my book they are the best out there. I have never seen as much hatred toward an inanimate obect anywhere...except the header debates. LOL. Everyone I talk to loves the way my car sounds with the Flowmasters and I do too, which is all that matters in the end. Use what sounds good to you and don't be a slave to other people's opinions. This is just my opinion. ;)

i'm running stock turbo's. sound good. not too loud not too soft. just right.

If you don't think the video of 7172 duster with the race bullets sounds good you had better get your hearing aid batteries changed. Lets see if yours sounds any better. I seriously don't think it will !!! Lets hear it!!!!! Put up or shut up!!!! Been drinkin' again!!!!

In my opinion nothing sounds meaner, healthier, rumblier, and flat out screams like a banshee when ya release the feed tube to the engine....Wont ever put any of that other crap on a car again. been through them all....

-RPM

well i have a 70 duster 340 with 2 chamber flowmasters on it and i love the way it sounds , but i got them for nothing new so i really like them but i was going to buy the dynomax ultra flows if i didnt get the flowmasters. i have had the dynomax on a truck of mine and it made the 6cyl sound real good. but thrush and dynomax are owned by a company called walker. thrush is the lower level performace stuff and dynomax is the high end stuff.

I don't really like flowmasters. I do like magna flows. I'm getting a set of purple hornies header mufflers and i'll get a video as soon as i can.

you want sound get bullets....best sound period, and if you love LOUD (like i do) then they are for you...only thing that stopped me was my dad sayin he doesnt want to hear a race car come home at 1 in the morning from cruising, and i dont think the neighbors will want to either....i chose dynomax ultra flows 3inch in a 6inch round case (they say the round cases are louder) over chokemasters and magnacraps....they flow better and sound alot better compared to the other two...Flowmaster cars all sound the same- the only flow master mufflers worth getting are the one chambers which are loud as hell and SUPER tinny, but they are unique and wicked (but they are super heavy)...the 40 series is overplayed and sound like crap...and lets not go to magnaflows, the kings of hollow lifeless exhaust sounds lol...my .02 cents take it or leave it

-
Back