mufflers

-
MSHRED,
I think you are referring to our chart and yes, you are 100% correct. When we did the work, everything was consistent so that one company's data does not "blow more air" (mislead) about theirs. And it is very true, they all tend to use different values but the Walker one is one that works out about the best, 20.3" of water pressure and then measure the flow rate. Since we were able to use the same cars, on the same days, the same set-up, at the same track, the same calibrated gauges, and the same driving techniques, we were able to accurately compare.

Some manufacturers tend to ignore or downplay the air flow values. It is true, exhaust is not like smooth air, however, restrictive mufflers to a flow bench and on the car tend to restrict air from the engine and hence, tend to affect HP output negatively. That is why most chambered mufflers are not used for max performance. The Engine Masters Challenge guys quickly figured out that straight through mufflers gives the best power across the board. So do the FAST drivers. We saw it too with our tests.

Now if you hit chambered mufflers with air/exhaust right into the center of their Vee's, like center in center out mufflers do, they act differently but still not as good as straight through or those with smooth directors internally (like Areochambers).

Remember that on a 450 HP engine, the worst and best flowing HP mufflers make only about 10 HP peak between them so it comes down to more of sound preference if you are not worried about max performance. High HP engines are more sensitive. But, if you want max performance with minimal sound and minimal resonation, the chambered ones, based on all of our testing and published literature in many other instances, may not be the best ones to select.

MSHRED,
I think you are referring to our chart and yes, you are 100% correct. When we did the work, everything was consistent so that one company's data does not "blow more air" (mislead) about theirs. And it is very true, they all tend to use different values but the Walker one is one that works out about the best, 20.3" of water pressure and then measure the flow rate. Since we were able to use the same cars, on the same days, the same set-up, at the same track, the same calibrated gauges, and the same driving techniques, we were able to accurately compare.

Some manufacturers tend to ignore or downplay the air flow values. It is true, exhaust is not like smooth air, however, restrictive mufflers to a flow bench and on the car tend to restrict air from the engine and hence, tend to affect HP output negatively. That is why most chambered mufflers are not used for max performance. The Engine Masters Challenge guys quickly figured out that straight through mufflers gives the best power across the board. So do the FAST drivers. We saw it too with our tests.

Now if you hit chambered mufflers with air/exhaust right into the center of their Vee's, like center in center out mufflers do, they act differently but still not as good as straight through or those with smooth directors internally (like Areochambers).

Remember that on a 450 HP engine, the worst and best flowing HP mufflers make only about 10 HP peak between them so it comes down to more of sound preference if you are not worried about max performance. High HP engines are more sensitive. But, if you want max performance with minimal sound and minimal resonation, the chambered ones, based on all of our testing and published literature in many other instances, may not be the best ones to select.

Hey Tom, your chart is the one i was talking about...and your explanation pretty much sums up why i chose a straight through muffler...would i notice the difference in power if i went to a chambered muffler over my straight through borlas? probably not at my power level, but heck i know im getting the last drop of performance out of them, not to mention that my personal preference in sound is straight through mufflers...i find chambered muffs tinny sounding....so its a win win situation for me, but i agree it comes down to sound preference for the average hot rodder

i got a 92 ford f150 shortbed as my daily driver and i had a 3 inch pipe into a 3 inch cherry bomb extreme and out a 3 inch exit only one pipe and i showed up a chevy with dual exhaust had the most aweful high pitched whine id ever heard and chevys always run flowmasters along with the mustang bunch however while they sound good for city cruising and avoiding cops i love my cherry bomb extreme one pipe sounds like two i have a 78 dodge macho power wagon that may have a 360 with a mild crane cam and worked iron heads a 4 bbl carb full length headers and dual 3 inch exhaust with the cherry bomb extremes unless i find a decent duster then that will get the 360 and prolly the race bullets

-
Back