Must have shop tools

-
While I value my satellite radio right up there with my compressor as the most valuable shop assets, let's not overlook the obvious. Fire suppression. Make sure you leave room in that initial budget for some extinguishers, sand, and a blanket.

I also vote torches & a hydraulic press as the two biggest time savers. With these two tools you can take apart damn near anything. Possibly while using them simultaneously....

In an effort to keep costs to a minimum, just start with basic hand tools and purchase only the tools you need as needed. This way you won't pre-spend money on items that you don't need yet to operate. With the internet age you can purchase tools and items as you go and still get them in a reasonable amount of time to complete your job.

Chuck

Lots of good suggestion, I have most of the stuff listed too. Been buying tools since I was 13.

I think I have a pretty good list of a few thing I need to have soon and the others will be buy when I need them.

I have to agree with Chuck. The internet and the many websites on here are fantastic at finding items needed for alot less then buying them brand spankin new. But in my opinion since I know you have done a couple restorations Adam, you already have the much loved hammers, rachets, sockets, wrenches, and such. I would shoot for the speciality tools, micrometers, torque wrenches, angle finders, alingment machine, and such. Alingment (?) machines can cost way up in the 10,000 range, but an older model can do the same job for a hell of alot lower price. Same way with the new gas analzyers (tuning purposes), cost upwards of 5000 dollars, but an old Sun machine that you can buy for 500 dollars does the same thing.

But I wish you luck Adam. Hopefully me and 2 of my friends will be on the same adventure as you when we open up a shop. One wants to do tuning, the other wants to do audio and interior, and I am the one left over doing everything else, which isnt bad since we all are 19 years old and almost have alot of the tools needed, just need a place and a few dynos, saws, torches, and such!

The tool I appreciate the most would be the lift.

lift.jpg

I saw you had air long board in your list,be sure you get a huchins air inline.They are more money than the harbor freight stuff,infact you can buy like 4 of the cheap ones,but the huchins is ballanced,last forever,if you oil it everyday,and you wont be tired after running it for 10 or 12 hours straight.Sooner or later your gonna run into a wavy,long quarter panel,or hood,with no rust,and other wise nice,and your gonna hate it with a 39.00 inline,or by hand.Once you get proficient with a good inline,you will only have to hand block very little.Get the velcro pads,so you can change paper quickly,and youll love it.The one other thing i couldnt live without,is a 3m rust and paint remover on the diegrinder.even with sand/media blasting,there are spots i run into i need something aggressive to remove old paint,scaly rust,etc,and these bad boys do it quick,with out messing the metal up in any way.they just leave it shinyand just right for putty,or primer

Don't know how anybody works without a water separator in the main air line. It eliminates goobers in the paint when you spray it and makes your air tools last a lot longer with less lubrication. Just have to remember to keep the pot full of dessicant.

Good Luck Adam!
I am going to start a similar "business" starting with this 69 Swinger 340 I am restoring.
I already had a few business cards made up, and we gave it a name already.

Hey, fill your shop with all the latest and greatest stuff so I can come over and use it too! LOL

See ya at the car shows soon,
George

Don't know how anybody works without a water separator in the main air line. It eliminates goobers in the paint when you spray it and makes your air tools last a lot longer with less lubrication. Just have to remember to keep the pot full of dessicant.

Got one.

I mentioned earlier a good CPA. In your first post, and another poster also mentioned going into business with a partner. Whether it's a partnership or corporation, if it is friends I will address it as a partnership.

Get a good lawyer and draw up a "pre-nuptual" agreement fair to both parties. It must have a way to dissolve the business when you want to part company.

Going into business with a friend is "almost" always a good way to loose a good friend... I've worked with many, many business partnerships over the years in my work (banking); and business partnerships are the hardest type of business enterprise to keep over the long haul. I would say the two hardest type would be #1, a family partnership; and #2, a partnership with a friend.

Good luck with it,
C

Maybe I missed it in the post, but a very good set of tap and dies SAE & metric. Spend the bucks get carbide snap-on type and a good set of easy outs too. Saved me many times in the years Adam! Seen some cheap on the bag...

Also maybe a Sand/Bead Blasting Cabinet, lastly a good high impedance volt ohm meter too licke a beckman..

But dont over spend till you get steady agree with others.

I have always wanted a shop to do 2-3 restores a year of high end cars that would be the type to bring in 80k + each. The cars are still out there and can be found. But I have never had the capital to get into it yet...

I wrenched as a pro for 17+ years and have been a computer IT tech for more than 15 now and CPU exper since early 80's. So I think in the next 5 years soecializing is a way to go.

Man best of luck.. I think you will do good and send those your way that I can..

You have a torch set but you don't use it? That is one of the most useful tools to have. I learned a bunch of new uses from working with an old jack of all trades mechanic. A big hammer, torch and small mig will accomplish things untold. I shake my head every day at the time I wasted for 25 years not knowing some of the easy ways to do things. A good old timer would be THE best addition to your inventory.

I vote for a Porta- power, an exhaust pipe bender with dies, cutoff/ chop saw.
Quality floor jacks and stands of different sizes.
I would also buy 2 high quality battery chargers and testing equip.
I would also look into an umbrella policy that has replacement cost in your insurance.
A good CPA will do most the book work, pay expences, taxes, bills on time and give good investment advise.
Make sure you get in writing everything, don't take for granted you
have a mutual or verbal agreement or understanding.
If a detail is important enoff to discuss - document it.
Good luck!!

Adam,
One last thought about a tool that you may need: credit. It is a tool, and just like your other shop tools, if misused will hurt you. Someone else mentioned to only buy the tools you need along as you need them. Good advise. Also, you probably cannot do every single thing every car will need. Whether it is upholstery, tire changing, alignments, whatever. No reason to buy a $10,000 alignment machine if your business may only generate the need for 8 or 10 alignments a year, that machine would never pay for itself. Same with a paint booth, if you haven't the space or money or business to put one in, talk with a few paint shops and work out some kind of deal with them so that you get a cut...
Do what you can do well, economically and turn around fairly quickly and farm out the rest.
I wish you the best of luck with it.
Cal

well for starters adam, are you going to be doing just mopars, or all classics? you will make money with chevys! you should also have all brake and tune-up tools. suspension tools are a must as is a vise. here are a few pics of my shop, boxes, compressor(80gal), etc. i use a big 4'x8' chalkboard for the project list. it really helps. don't forget a battery charger!
the one thing you will really need if you work on cars with NICE paint, is a set of fender covers. i got ones that have sheepskin on the back that is velcroed on so it can be taken off and washed. it also has magnets to hold it to the car and the surface is impervious to ANY fluid. yeah they were pricey, but all others can leave marks.

for a 1/2" impact use the IR titanuim 2135( or some # like it). it has 1000lbs/torque in reverse on the first 3 hits. it will take off pretty much anything.

DSC01261 (Small).JPG

DSC01260 (Small).JPG

DSC01262 (Small).JPG

DSC01264 (Small).JPG

DSC01265 (Small).JPG

DSC01267 (Small).JPG

Steve, I have a few cars lines up for the next few months. A 68 Nova, a 70 GTO and probably a 71 Duster. I love any old cars.

Steve, I have a few cars lines up for the next few months. A 68 Nova, a 70 GTO and probably a 71 Duster. I love any old cars.

great! besides doing their suspensions( they get easier and easier) you will find alot of work in electrical repair. i do a ton of that around here. eventually, get yourself into some good wire selections. mostly 14-16 gauge. i have about 10 colors of each gauge and colored heat shrink to make a neat and professional fix.(you can't always fix it beautifully, but at least a quality repair). i could almost tell you what color a wire is on a gm circuit!

hope all goes well.

Adam,
One last thought about a tool that you may need: credit. It is a tool, and just like your other shop tools, if misused will hurt you.

I agree, The most important tool there. Been trying hard for the past few years to fix the mistakes of my early 20s. It was much easier to get credit then it is to fix it thats for sure.

Its very aggravating because I have a great idea for a business that I feel would be very successful for me but lack of start up money and financing is killing the idea.

-
Back