My 360 - anyone got dyno software

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Im curious to now the estimated HP and TQ outout on my 360 build. If anyone has that "desktop dyno" software I'd greatly appreciate them running the numbers. The combo is:

363 cubes
Stock crank/rods
KB 107 pistons
10.7 compression
Edelbrock RPM heads, stock (non ported)
RPM Air Gap intake
XE 274H cam (230/236 duration at .050, lift .488/491)
Crane 1.6 ratio roller rockers
Holley double pumper 750 cfm

It'll be running custom headers and 3 inch exhaust. It's a 4 speed car also.

Cheers.

OK, According to the Desk Top Dyno sim;

RPM.....HP.......TQ

I have a Comp Cam , cam selector/dyno program. I don't now how good it is or isn't, and it does give a graph, but no numbers but peak HP and Trq. They are;

HP...452.8 @ 6,000 RPM
Trq..456.8 @ 4,000 RPM

OH, both duno programs allowed me to input the heads flow numbers as per Edelbrocks web site. Header choice was small tube header, open exhaust.

FWIW, the Comp Cams program is a free down load.

With the Comp program my 10.6:1 360 with an XE268 cam and magnum heads comes up at 395 HP. Based on 1/4 mile trap speeds and weight my calculated HP is 370 HP.

OK, According to the Desk Top Dyno sim;

RPM.....HP.......TQ

I have a Comp Cam , cam selector/dyno program. I don't now how good it is or isn't, and it does give a graph, but no numbers but peak HP and Trq. They are;

HP...452.8 @ 6,000 RPM
Trq..456.8 @ 4,000 RPM

wow, those are some pretty serious numbers for no more than he has done to that motor.

My dyno sym gives 454hp peak @ 6000 and 457tq peak @ 4000 rating the Airgap as a Dual plane High flow. If you use the Dual plane Max flow setting the hp jumps to 500 - a bit much me thinks. Either way you will have a great combo.

what program from Comp are you using, CamQuest 6 or the dyno program? I can't find the dyno program listed on their site as free. I would love to download it.

Also bear in mind this does not take into account issues in machining or anything less than perfect ring seal. I'd expect to see real numbers about 10-30hp lower in real life.

Warning: The following post may contain some useless information.

Its definitely not entirely apples to apples, but this build sort-of kind-of bears out some of the dd dyno numbers.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_small_block_mopar_engine/index.html

Obviously, yours isn't a magnum and is flat tappet instead of hydraulic roller. The cam in this engine would be slightly better, but the heads don't flow as well (though very very close). And you've got a lot more compression and quench.

Sounds like a fun combination.

what program from Comp are you using, CamQuest 6 or the dyno program? I can't find the dyno program listed on their site as free. I would love to download it.

CamQuest! It takes intake, cam head info and calculates HP and torque.

If you want a true answer go run it at the track,get your trap speed,1/4 time,and vehicle weight and use a 1/4 conversion chart..theres no way your combo is putting out 464 h.p. 452 t.q...my 360 has the same compression more cam,better carb,and ported Edelbrocks and is only putting out 416 h.p...that comp cam quest thing is NOT accurate at all.....

If you want a true answer go run it at the track,get your trap speed,1/4 time,and vehicle weight and use a 1/4 conversion chart..theres no way your combo is putting out 464 h.p. 452 t.q...my 360 has the same compression more cam,better carb,and ported Edelbrocks and is only putting out 416 h.p...that comp cam quest thing is NOT accurate at all.....

True!
I've got CamQuest on my computer (the free one) and it will not let me input the exact specs of what I'm running so therefore it is not accurate... how can it be without exact specs? Now using it to see what different cams will yield in HP and TQ it is useful. But I can't say that is the exact HP/TQ that each cam will make.

True!
I've got CamQuest on my computer (the free one) and it will not let me input the exact specs of what I'm running so therefore it is not accurate... how can it be without exact specs? Now using it to see what different cams will yield in HP and TQ it is useful. But I can't say that is the exact HP/TQ that each cam will make.

I agree. I just got Camquest and it won't let me put in individual flow numbers. Plus, I can only have the choice of 1.94" intake valves or 1.8" intake valves....but mine are 1.92 or 1.88!

I had mine run on a simulation from a guy on Moparts:

1998 5.9 Magnum
4.030" bore
3.58" stroke
ProTopLine/RHS heads (I haven't checked the cc's, but I've heard 63cc chambers), 1.88/1.6 valves
Stock 1.6:1 Magnum rockers
Stock Magnum lifters
Stock Magnum pushrods
STL-H405CP30 pistons with -10.00cc piston dome volume
Speed Pro piston rings
Fel-Pro Q9898PT head gaskets (.054" thickness)
Hughes Engines HER1418ALN .520"/.544" lift; 214/218 degrees @ .050" duration; 108 degree LSA
MP "orange" electronic ignition with MP electronic distributor
Edelbrock dual-plane RPM Air-Gap intake manifold
Hooker Comp headers
Holley 4160 600cfm 4BBL carburetor

Your ports CCd at 182in and 67ex and your chambers were 63 CC
thumbs.gif

Your pair of heads are the ones the numbers in this article came from

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4978923

Ok I guessed at the flow and gave you 230cfm intake, 188cfm ex.
Peak TQ was at 4250 with 440lbft and peak HP was at 5500 with 411hp. Nice little torque monster.

Oh yeah and your compression ratio worked out to be 9.0:1, if those are your pistons in the photo you posted then they would have a -10cc dome, not +10cc dome.

I also think ~460hp is pushing it. My cam has some considerable lift and duration.

Also keep in mind that the computer dyno sim is calculating this sim with the idea of ideal settings like Moper said. Also in addition to perfect rings seal and cam timing and complete ignition/air/fuel burn, things like atomophere (SP) barrametric pressure.

Comp Cams has several dyno software products and they range from $99 to $250. Pay for what you get. The sim I provided is an old Mr. Gasket sim priced at less than $40.

While cheap, it isn't to bad of a program IF you know what your doing with it and how it acts.

Stroked340 has a interesting method of finding out HP and it is a system that has been in use for a long time. I do have one ***** about it. I don't think it is super accurate ethier. Example would be same engine in different car ='s different HP.

Same engine with different converter and gears ='s less power.
Again, you have to know what your doing and take into account a few things they don't tell you.

I'm not disputing stroked340's numbers, just saying I know they can change from car to car, equipment to equipment changes in the same car.

....my 360 has the same compression more cam,better carb,and ported Edelbrocks and is only putting out 416 h.p...that comp cam quest thing is NOT accurate at all.....

My 360's putting out absolutely nothing at the present time, it's sitting on an engine stand.... I'm curious as to what you mean by "My 360 has ...a better carb" ....what carb are you running?

I understand fully that these computer dyno programs cannot possibly give perfect accuracy but if my combo puts out anything near 400 hp at the flywheel (well, actually I should say torque given it'll be a street car) it'll be more than enough for my needs.

By the way, was your 416 hp at the wheels or engine?

You'll reach the 400 hp goal with room to spare. Do you plan to quarter mile the car? It'll be plenty fun on the street!

I think you misunderstand the numbers. What Rumblefish posted was flywheel output. Your 1/4 mile derived numbers will show hp and tq at the rear wheel. These will be VASTLY different numbers, differing by as much as 25% on a reasonably stock configured vehicle.

Also keep in mind that the computer dyno sim is calculating this sim with the idea of ideal settings like Moper said. Also in addition to perfect rings seal and cam timing and complete ignition/air/fuel burn, things like atomophere (SP) barrametric pressure.

Comp Cams has several dyno software products and they range from $99 to $250. Pay for what you get. The sim I provided is an old Mr. Gasket sim priced at less than $40.

While cheap, it isn't to bad of a program IF you know what your doing with it and how it acts.

Stroked340 has a interesting method of finding out HP and it is a system that has been in use for a long time. I do have one ***** about it. I don't think it is super accurate ethier. Example would be same engine in different car ='s different HP.

Same engine with different converter and gears ='s less power.
Again, you have to know what your doing and take into account a few things they don't tell you.

I'm not disputing stroked340's numbers, just saying I know they can change from car to car, equipment to equipment changes in the same car.

A good atmosphere and track temp will alter the end result of the trap numbers method of finding HP.

My 360's putting out absolutely nothing at the present time, it's sitting on an engine stand.... I'm curious as to what you mean by "My 360 has ...a better carb" ....what carb are you running?

I understand fully that these computer dyno programs cannot possibly give perfect accuracy but if my combo puts out anything near 400 hp at the flywheel (well, actually I should say torque given it'll be a street car) it'll be more than enough for my needs.

By the way, was your's 416 hp at the wheels or engine?

If he is using the numbers from a time slip to find HP, he has to be finding "applied" power, not the "raw" power found at the flywheel. Interestingly, If we take 20% off your 450FWHP, and add it to his 415RWHP, we get 505FWHP, which might be a reasonable (if "perfect world") gain with a "better carb than yours".

By the way, was your 416 hp at the wheels or engine?

416 would be at the crank ..my carb is a Quick Fuel 850,my cam is .513/.533,my Edelbrocks are "street" ported..

IMO, the only way of measuring an engines output is getting the weight, and running it down the track for highest MPH. Et means nothing. The rest is simple physics. However, what we are talking about is predicting the result. Because no-one has yet to be able to truely predict every variable in a running engine. So the prediction is the problem. The old Moroso drag strip slide rule is still the most accurate calculator. But it's still result based. Not prediction. We tend to get dragged into the cruise night attitude of "I added X parts, so it's *** horsepower..." with speed parts. Ask a builder or racer what they think of that type of thinking and they usually just smile and laugh. So I say the software thingys are fun. But it's more for the beer and BS sessions.

A good atmosphere and track temp will alter the end result of the trap numbers method of finding HP.

I agree. Though the method is good to use, I find it best to use that one for finding out how much power is actually hitting the track floor.

-
Back