My 62 Valiant

-

valiant62

Reaction score
04271019531.jpg
Hey, I am owner of a 62 Valiant Signet 200, 2 door hardtop, pretty sure its a signet, ive had it for a little while, one of my dads buddys gave it to me. We went out and put a battery in it, checked fluids, added some gas and it fired up, after sitting by a creek for a few years. Once we got a dead Festiva out of the way we got it out and got it ready to drive. We put some more gas in it, added fluids and DROVE it home (about a 6 mile drive). Well i now have the ambition to get it going again, because i got talked into it. My dad went and got some tires for our 14s and put them on it, charged the battery, and put some gas and it started. I went their 4 hours later today, about 8 my time, and yet again it fired right up. Within the next few weeks me and my dad our going to get it road worthy and then i will start driving it!!!:toothy10::toothy10:(hope in right spot)

Welcome to the site. 2 doors are rare. 6 or V8? Options? Details are what we live for.

Its a 6, 225 one barrel, 3 speed on the colum, A.M. radio, duel speakers, haha thats all i can think of at the moment, was originaly this very light pink or something. Was their a special option on interior? It is sapposed to have trim on it but it was taken off to primer it and never put back on, and the bumpers are "missing".

Its a 6, 225 one barrel, 3 speed on the colum, A.M. radio, duel speakers

There was a dealer-accessory rear speaker mounted in the middle of the package tray under the backglass -- is that what you have? Stock equipment was a single speaker in the middle of the dashboard, under a plastic grille that is usually cooked junk by now (see here and while you're at it here)

was originaly this very light pink or something.

Yup. "Sandstone", PPG #32074.

Was their a special option on interior?

Not really, no…what do you have in mind?

Gotta love the road toads. Keep us up to date on your progress…looks like a great project! Mine is here.

Yes it has a speaker underneath the rear window. looked like at one time it had a aftermarket rear defrost on the back window, kinda lame,. I dont know if the radio or the speakers work or not because i havnt really tried haha. Dont know if it has a aluminum 225 or a iron, How do you tell? decode the serial number on the block? I was just wondering if their was because it seems to have different options, it does have factory seat builts, do all of them? or was that a option too? Oh and the driver seat is all torn up =( from sitting. And Thanks for the complaments!! Your Lancer is Beautiful!!

I had a 62 wagon when I joined this sight, strictly a drag race vehicle. I could not find parts at Carlile or the Nats, did most of my shopping on Ebag or just made what I needed and scavenged from other MoPars. Good luck

Easy visual ID of the aluminum-block engine: no freeze plugs and no casting numbers on the manifold side of the block. An iron 225 would have 3 freeze plugs (through '66; 5 freeze plugs from '67 up) and a clearly visible casting number on the manifold side of the block. Also, a magnet sticks to the iron block, but not to the aluminum. Cylinder head is cast iron in all cases.

Rear defog was available, blower type, and it used a speaker grill on the package shelf for the air intake. The outlet was a narrow strip-shaped duct behind the central speaker grill/air intake, just forward of the bottom of the backglass.

Seat belt anchorage points were factory equipment; belts themselves were optional.

Looks like you've also got the (optional) reversing lights.

I will have to check if its iron or not after work, i pretty sure its going to be an iron block because i had tried decoding the numbers on the block before and they were very easy to see. But hey maybe ill be lucky haha
The reason why i was thinking it was aftermarket is because it was something that you could stick on the window, it still has the sticky mark on the window and has the lines going across.
The seat belts actually say Chrysler corporation on them. so does that mean they are the factory option?
I did not know that the reverse lights were optional, thats kinda cool. The set that are on the car are all busted up but when i got the car their were a bunch of extra chrome pieces and other parts in the trunk along with a good set of the lights, so i got lucky!!
And i got the 13 inch hubcaps haha i think their sweet!

The reason why i was thinking it was aftermarket is because it was something that you could stick on the window, it still has the sticky mark on the window and has the lines going across.

Yep, definitely aftermarket.

The seat belts actually say Chrysler corporation on them. so does that mean they are the factory option?

Or dealer-installed, yes. (It also means they're old enough to be even more worthless as life safety devices than they originally were as lap-only belts.)

Sweet!! thanks for the help on answering questions about the car , now all theirs left to do is decide: restore? or rat rod/driver deal?

how would you think a small turbo would do on the car? Would slant hold up? and it would just be something like from a little 4 cylinder, nothing big.
Or maybe just get it ready to drive haha:-D

What should i do with seats? My dad says keep, but the drivers seat is so bad that part of it goes with you everytime you get up from sitting in it.. Oh and he thinks their different because of the ash tray on the back of them. Was that an option too?

Sweet!! thanks for the help on answering questions about the car , now all theirs left to do is decide: restore? or rat rod/driver deal?

Up to you.

how would you think a small turbo would do on the car? Would slant hold up?

An iron block will hold up just fine with a turbo, but it takes a lot of engineering and re-engineering and fabrication and parts-buying and tuning to make it work well (drivable, reliable).

What should i do with seats?

Depending on how much money you have to spend on 'em vs. time and skill, either have 'em rebuilt and reupholstered or do 'em yourself or swap in some better-condition seats out of some other car.

Oh and he thinks their different because of the ash tray on the back of them. Was that an option too?

Standard equipment on the Signet 2-door hardtop.

Well not matter what i do with it its going to be different haha, havnt seen one like it yet, ive seen close but not the same. Or maybe do something like your lancer, I really like that color, but i wont copy thats just not me haha

I was also considering maybe putting a 318 or something in it.
How hard would it be to put a v8 in this? Cutting up inner fenders, beefing up from suspension, different rear end, tranny too, but is that it? other then things like fuel lines, heating and cooling, and the linkage.

Would you know how much it would be to get one of those seats re-done? just kinda wondering..

cool find-- 62 signets are a rare breed, certain trim parts are very difficult to find. Floor pans are very similar to the 63-66 abodies, your car is the precursor to that unibody style--- many parts will interchange.
Bumpers are limited to 1960-62 valiants.
good luck with your car, Lawrence

I was also considering maybe putting a 318 or something in it.

It's been done, but it is costly and difficult to do a quality job of it. The engine bay is super tight on the '60-'62 A-bodies, you will lose your heater, etc.

Would you know how much it would be to get one of those seats re-done? just kinda wondering..

It's costly to have a good, craftsmanlike job done by a professional with nice materials. See here.

You may want to look at scoring some seats from a first-generation Sebring convertible. They have built-in 3-point seat belts.

Very nice score! Looks like you've got a great project there. Those road toads are among the coolest Mopars. Keep us updated on your progress.

Well I've been kinda thinkin, maybe a Rat Rod them. Keep the paint and body the way it is, fix the floors with road signs, get just the drivers seat re-done and clean up the rest. I seen on tv the other day that thiers a company that takes your original radio, and puts all the new technolgy do dads in side of it so you can have like a am/fm radio with like a ipod jack, or something along those lines. (thats how it came across to me)
Then leaving the slant 6 in their but adding a bigger cam, 4 barrel and headers.
Then put the original 13s and hubcaps in the front, and run 14s or something in the back, and up grading the brakes and maybe rear end.
Put most of the chrome back on it, and what ever pieces i dont have just leave off.(It came with a bunch of pieces in the trunk, along with extra windows!!)
Also finding a rear bumper for it.
But its just an idea.
Let me know what you think.

Well so much for driving it soon, forgot it still needs a gas tank. If i dont get my new toy i will buy a fuel cell for it, but as of right now it still sits...

fix the floors with road signs

Or with new floorpan panels…

thiers a company that takes your original radio, and puts all the new technolgy do dads in side of it so you can have like a am/fm radio with like a ipod jack

See here

Then leaving the slant 6 in their but adding a bigger cam, 4 barrel and headers.

See here

Then put the original 13s and hubcaps in the front, and run 14s or something in the back, and up grading the brakes and maybe rear end.

Very hard to upgrade the brakes if you stay with 13" wheels. Basically all you can do is go from 9" drums to 10" drums. Better to run 14" or 15" wheels all around (you don't really want to carry two spares, do you?) and put in good brakes.

Ok then! thanks for the info about the clifford things, I might just hold off now with getting the 4 barrel and headers and the cam. So i might just find a 2 barrel for it and just go with that for now. (I think my brother-in-law might have one)

Also according to the previous owner of the car he, said that he had them rebuilt not to much longer after he got rid of it the first time.
He says that he re did the brakes then sold car then he bought it back and just parked it behind the garage and thats were its been, so the brakes are 5 years old or so but are all new.
Sould I invest in getting them re-done again? or just make sure the ones that are on it are good? My dad drove the car home and he said that it never had a problem stoping, and it was a 5 mile drive or so.

Well ive been talkin about what to do with the valiant. V8 is still wanted but also dont want to cut up, and adjust all the factory do dads. Thought about maybe a nasty slant but that is not likely. Then yesterday my brother in law had a great idea.. What about a 3.9 v6 with a 5 speed from a dakota? Opinions?

-
Back