My 71 scamp!

-
wow we are doing pretty much the same thing as far as resto goes....check out my thread some time its listed as scampinnnn!!!! nice work paint looks awesome

I will definatly check it out man...i dont get to frequent the forums as much as i used to now that im either working on the car or school work

I really like what you have done with the column. I will be doing the same thing before long. BTW, what did you do to the column specifically? Pics in progress of it by any chance?

Hey unfortunatly i dont have any pics of the column in progress....I used a hacksaw to cut off the auto column stuff..i sanded it smooth and used JB weld and body filler in the areas where i wanted to smooth it out...for where the auto shifter used to go, i never actually cut off the little mount hole area, im just going to stick a plastic plug in there when i find one (although i should have just cut it off)...it could have turned out a little better to be honest, you just can't see it in the pictures, but im happy with the way it turned out for now

Looking very nice mshred. It fun stuff putting them back together, kind of like a big model kit. haha. I'll stay tuned.

Hey mshred, nice work your doing on that scamp,love your custom high impact colour.Enjoy your reassembly I know I did,hope to see your car out and about in the near future.
Gary

Yes i do see it as putting together i giant model car, except i get to drive this model! thanks for the kind words Gary, im hoping to have her at moparfest this year...im assuming you'll be there? hows the green dart coming along?

Yes I am planning to have the black dart at the 09 fest.I am slowly picking away at the green one,it is totally disassembled,had some chroming and plating done, starting to restore small parts.maybe done for moparfest 2010.

Hey unfortunatly i dont have any pics of the column in progress....I used a hacksaw to cut off the auto column stuff..i sanded it smooth and used JB weld and body filler in the areas where i wanted to smooth it out...for where the auto shifter used to go, i never actually cut off the little mount hole area, im just going to stick a plastic plug in there when i find one (although i should have just cut it off)...it could have turned out a little better to be honest, you just can't see it in the pictures, but im happy with the way it turned out for now

Thanks!

The car looks freakin fantastic man! When it is all finished, you have to park it in from of those cool lookin trees, with the pretty girlfriend ( :D ) and take an "after" picture. LOL

VERY nice job, congratulations.

George

The car looks freakin fantastic man! When it is all finished, you have to park it in from of those cool lookin trees, with the pretty girlfriend ( :D ) and take an "after" picture. LOL

VERY nice job, congratulations.

George

thanks man LOL...i will be takin lots of pictures of her when done, but with the girlfriend posing beside i dont know...i ask her sometimes and she says she will but i know shes just b.sing me and im chasing a hopeless dream...gotta try atleast lol:toothy10:

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread!

Great work bud!

Looking good!

The black hood makes a difference.... it did on my green cuda.

Hey Mullinax, thanks for the kind words...I am glad i went with the black hood and dual snorkel, it should really give a nice contrast to the green when she's all done...in the next couple of weeks in going to start ripping the whole front end out, put in the smallblock k frame and do the front disc conversion...then its on to the rearend, and then dropping the motor and tranny in...im starting to get real excited!

Beautiful car, mshred! You can be proud of your efforts and the obvious results!:cheers:

Hey everybody its been a loong time since ive posted any progress on the scamp...Once i finished exams I have been working full time from 5-2 everyday then i come home and truck away on the scamp...Since the last update I have converted the front end to discs, replaced the lower and upper balljoints, modified the k frame for a custom deep sump oil pan, sandblasted and painted most of the front end, installed new wiper seals, worked at dying the headliner and putting miscellaneous dash and interior stuff together, mocked up the brackets for my custom front buckets (going to be recovered very shortly), clean and paint wiper and blower motor, made and installed 2 bolt mc adapter and probably more that I am missing....I have also just installed some subframe connectors with some tubing that a friend of mine hooked me up with, and i have also installed my inboard spring kit and just finishing up the rear shackles...I am moving my rear 1 inch back to fit a 29x13 inch sportsman tire under there, and in order to not have the shackle bottom out and sit properly I have had to do some frame mods to move the shackles back (will likely be finishing it up tommoro)...Took the rear leafs to a local spring shop, had them add a leaf and instal 3 clamps on the front segment which should work well with my snubber (welded in a floorpan reinforcement for that as well)...I also set up the used set of 3.91's as well as the crush sleeve eliminator in my 489 case and it was a job and a half (dont ask, but setting up used gears is quite a pain the ***!)..I set the car on the ground with my dads rear wheels and tires to get an idea of the tires I am going to run (the MT's) and i ordered my wheels (billet specialties street lites) as well as my mufflers, ignition, line lock, and a bunch of other goodies from summit as a happy birthday to myself (I just turned 20)...going to pick it all up on Monday and plan is if things go well that next weekend i will start putting the motor and tranny in and perform the mods for the 5 speed swap! im getting excited! anyways i will try to kep you guys posted, but if i dont its cuz im too busy working! here are some pics for now!

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

heres the last batch for now...these arent even the most recent pictures, but they give an idea of the progress...
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

The rear stance looks great in the last pic, keep those wheels and tires, I'm sure you father won't mind. Who's that on the creeper, lol, tell him I said Hi.

You ride is looking great, it's kind of a good thing, weather as not been the greatest, or you'd be REALLY hurtin' to take it out for a spin.
Don't rush it, it's looking sweet, and that's partly because you haven't rushed or deviated from your initial goal.
Keep it up Matt!

all the best,
Giles

The rear stance looks great in the last pic, keep those wheels and tires, I'm sure you father won't mind. Who's that on the creeper, lol, tell him I said Hi.

You ride is looking great, it's kind of a good thing, weather as not been the greatest, or you'd be REALLY hurtin' to take it out for a spin.
Don't rush it, it's looking sweet, and that's partly because you haven't rushed or deviated from your initial goal.
Keep it up Matt!

all the best,
Giles

Hey Giles thanks for the compliments once again...The stance of the car is perfect i agree, but unfortunatly i cant keep his stuff lol...im going with billet specialty street lite wheels on mt sportsman tires which are only 1 inch taller, and with the engine in, it will have a sweet stance...i got so excited seeing the wheels on there since it looked the way i wanted it....and yea the weather hasnt been that great out so its not so bad that she isnt done...I really appreciate the support and acknowledgement of my work man- its good to know that others understand im trying my hardest on this car...it wont be perfect, but it is sure as hell pretty good for my first try....how is the duster these days? did you ever get the clutch changed?

p.s. I was taking the center chunk out to change the gears and me and my dad looked at the rag it was wrapped in and it was an old moparfest sweater...my dad laughed and said man this must be one of giles old shirts lol dont think he wants it back now :toothy10:

Hey Giles thanks for the compliments once again...The stance of the car is perfect i agree, but unfortunatly i cant keep his stuff lol...im going with billet specialty street lite wheels on mt sportsman tires which are only 1 inch taller, and with the engine in, it will have a sweet stance...i got so excited seeing the wheels on there since it looked the way i wanted it....and yea the weather hasnt been that great out so its not so bad that she isnt done...I really appreciate the support and acknowledgement of my work man- its good to know that others understand im trying my hardest on this car...it wont be perfect, but it is sure as hell pretty good for my first try....how is the duster these days? did you ever get the clutch changed?

p.s. I was taking the center chunk out to change the gears and me and my dad looked at the rag it was wrapped in and it was an old moparfest sweater...my dad laughed and said man this must be one of giles old shirts lol dont think he wants it back now :toothy10:

I planted the shirt there Matt, I was hopping it would grow (was it a '88 vintage?)

I'm still working on the trans, as we speak, I will be posting pics. of the resto, aside from the centerforce dual friction that will go in front of it.

Later's

I planted the shirt there Matt, I was hopping it would grow (was it a '88 vintage?)

I'm still working on the trans, as we speak, I will be posting pics. of the resto, aside from the centerforce dual friction that will go in front of it.

Later's

Yea i think it was from 88 lol...unfortunatly it did not grow lol....good luck with everything on the duster and yes keep us posted on your progress! good luck with it!

The scamp has finally been fired up! I havent posted any progress on it in a long while...the interior is in, but not totally finished (need to fix some stuff with the seats), the 5 speed swap is complete (except for the brace i need to stop deflection), bumpers need to be chromed, and a bunch of little things here and there...my sound system works great, but the real sound system is the 340 in the video! This motor has sat untouched for over 20 years, and the 650 dp thats on it for even longer lol but it fired right up without any problems...huffed a little bit of smoke, but once it ran and we set the timing and adjusted the carb slightly all was well! the engine bay still needs to be cleaned up and finished wiring wise, but all the wiring on the car works except for the backuplight switch and headlights (still gotta figure it out)...Once again none of this could have been done without the help of head mopar man in the house, my dad! Next step is puttin in the driveshaft i had made for it, setting pinion angle and welding the spring seats, alignment, then drive around the block! anyways heres the video! enjoy the commentary from my twin brother! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48I9vy7goA

awesome mshred i bet your so pumped you got it running. I know i was when mine first fired up. If possible can you give me info on the paint used to black out the hood? Thats similar to the look im going for as well.

Thanks for the kind words guys! I am very pumped to get this thing on the road, but its going to have to wait until next spring as the weather here is almost snow ready and im way too busy with school..

Varlo as far as the hood goes, the paint shop at my dad's school did it....if i remember correctly it is straight black paint and i think about 60% in the clear (so 40% flattening agent)...the painter said that if i was to go flatter, i would get the chalkiness that flat black gives...this way here gives me the semi gloss black style i was looking for, but i cant wax it because that will give it a gloss look, so just soap and water to keep it clean

-
Back