My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Yea im trying my best too. I have to get a new timing chain idk if you seen that thread or not but my engine tech brand one was way off. I just haven't had the money to order a new one so im saving up for one and just trying to get as much done as I can without spending a ton of money. Lol
I’ve got a timing chain I’ll take a pic of tonight and give it to you. You pay shipping. I bought it for a 318 I thought needed it, but we just had plug wires on wrong. It’s from 2007 so I’d like donate it.

I’ve got a timing chain I’ll take a pic of tonight and give it to you. You pay shipping. I bought it for a 318 I thought needed it, but we just had plug wires on wrong. It’s from 2007 so I’d like donate it.
Thanks man that is awesome i really appreciate it! I sent you a pm

Here’s the chain here. Got your PM
DE5C9DA9-86CD-4A57-A674-CDD6492A7014.jpeg

8050D9A7-08A9-4406-97D5-181ED163402D.jpeg

Beat me to the punch, I have 2 hanging on the wall, both low mileage.

Im still chugging along got the new timing chain on thanks to @Dartsun ! Got the engine and heads painted. Made a run to the hardware store today and got a bunch of nuts bolts washers and clamps I thought I might need. Then went to. Storage and got the remaining parts left over for the engine, fan pulleys, balancer, etc, hopefully next week i can finish getting the engine put together and hopefully start working on getting it in the car!

20201124_220218.jpg

20201123_181148.jpg

20201123_180549.jpg

20201123_180543.jpg

20201123_180417.jpg

20201123_180423.jpg

20201123_180401.jpg

20201123_180409.jpg

I've been lurking for quite some time. I marvel at how you persevere, lacking a garage and "fancy tools". I credit you for being one of those that, not only make do with what you have, but possibly work miracles with less-than-basic "necessities". You remind me of me; how I managed to put stuff together decades ago, with practically nothing to work with. Keep On Keeping On!!

I've been lurking for quite some time. I marvel at how you persevere, lacking a garage and "fancy tools". I credit you for being one of those that, not only make do with what you have, but possibly work miracles with less-than-basic "necessities". You remind me of me; how I managed to put stuff together decades ago, with practically nothing to work with. Keep On Keeping On!!
Thanks man I appreciate the support. What I lack in money i make up for with hard work and effort lol sometimes you just gotta think outside the box. I know its not perfect and to some people unacceptable but im doing my best and I will continue to work to my satisfaction. Sometimes I do something and im like nope I don't like that and will do it over and over till im satisfied. I have also learned to know when to stop and accept the fact that is probably good enough haha. For instance my dash bezel I kept redoing it over and over because I was happy with it and ended up ruining it by sanding to much and had to buy another lol but it turned out great imo!

Thanks man I appreciate the support. What I lack in money i make up for with hard work and effort lol sometimes you just gotta think outside the box. I know its not perfect and to some people unacceptable but im doing my best and I will continue to work to my satisfaction. Sometimes I do something and im like nope I don't like that and will do it over and over till im satisfied. I have also learned to know when to stop and accept the fact that is probably good enough haha. For instance my dash bezel I kept redoing it over and over because I was happy with it and ended up ruining it by sanding to much and had to buy another lol but it turned out great imo!
Most of us started out the same way, just keep it up with your dream, it will happen.

I remember my old Willys Jeep when I restored it, I hit burn out mode about 1/2 way thru the project.
I actually had to force myself to do something every day, even if it was a simple as sand-blasting one bolt, any progress is progress, that is how stuff gets done.

Most of us started out the same way, just keep it up with your dream, it will happen.

I remember my old Willys Jeep when I restored it, I hit burn out mode about 1/2 way thru the project.
I actually had to force myself to do something every day, even if it was a simple as sand-blasting one bolt, any progress is progress, that is how stuff gets done.
Yea I have been working at my own pace im not getting in a hurry and not pushing myself to the point its no longer fun. I enjoy working on stuff I like to fix stuff but when it gets to the point it's a chore instead of a joy thats no fun. So when I feel overwhelmed or aggravated I just walk away and do something else.

Got a little more done today. I got the starter cleaned up it turned out pretty nice for a 40 year old starter. I painted the fan and pulleys they look like chit! I'm not sure if I got a bad can of paint or it was to cold out but it didn't stick good at all. There is spots on the water pump pulley you can set dots of the primer sticking thru where it just puddled around it. Im not sure what happened. It was a nice 55 today iv painted colder but idk. I don't think it's gonna warm up any more than that so... I think I'm gonna scuff them and repaint them with a new can and see what happens. Also got a stupid question. On my intake there is a spot beside the carb on the drivers side what goes there? I know the choke goes on the other side but I don't remember what went there? I circled it in the picture

Screenshot_20201125-190703_Gallery.jpg

20201125_173341.jpg

20201125_173333.jpg

20201125_172805.jpg

20201125_155621.jpg

20201125_155615.jpg

20201125_155610.jpg

I’d blame the cold. I painted my upper door panels over thanksgiving weekend years ago. Used a spray gun spent tons of time cleaning and then turned out like this.
95DC36BF-24BF-4D51-B327-A18F84CDC5A7.jpeg

I’d blame the cold. I painted my upper door panels over thanksgiving weekend years ago. Used a spray gun spent tons of time cleaning and then turned out like this.
View attachment 1715637055
Yea thats what'l i was kinda thinking idk what i wil do because i i dont think its gonna warm up any lol guess I will just run it like it is. I may try and scuff it and repaint it next week. Maybe i can bring the parts and paint can indoors to warm it up and spray it pretty with the metal warmer.

the problem (on the fan at least as the pic is clearest) appears to be silicon contamination, otherwise known as 'fisheye'. paint as you know won't stick to silicon hence the 'spots' with no paint. re sand and give them a good wash with strong dish soap, dry and paint again (wipe with panel wipe/degreaser if you have any first). keep the first coats 'dry' as that'll help prevent any reoccurrence. once you have good coverage then you can do a couple of 'wet' coats to finish. good luck.
neil.

the problem (on the fan at least as the pic is clearest) appears to be silicon contamination, otherwise known as 'fisheye'. paint as you know won't stick to silicon hence the 'spots' with no paint. re sand and give them a good wash with strong dish soap, dry and paint again (wipe with panel wipe/degreaser if you have any first). keep the first coats 'dry' as that'll help prevent any reoccurrence. once you have good coverage then you can do a couple of 'wet' coats to finish. good luck.
neil.
I sanded it and them cleaned it with dawn and steel wool the same way I have done everything else I guess it could still be that tho
There was alot of oil on the fan when I started

I sanded it and them cleaned it with dawn and steel wool the same way I have done everything else I guess it could still be that tho
There was alot of oil on the fan when I started
Sand it back down, and soak it in lacquer thinner.

Anything metal like that I've always handled with rubber gloves to keep my hand oils off of it but before I paint it I always spray it down heavily with a carb cleaner or brake cleaner. It seems to eat away any oils and dries really fast. I love getting that stuff from Walmart for a dollar 98 a can. I spend a whole 12 bucks and get 6 cans at a time so I can just blast that stuff as I need it...

Anything metal like that I've always handled with rubber gloves to keep my hand oils off of it but before I paint it I always spray it down heavily with a carb cleaner or brake cleaner. It seems to eat away any oils and dries really fast. I love getting that stuff from Walmart for a dollar 98 a can. I spend a whole 12 bucks and get 6 cans at a time so I can just blast that stuff as I need it...
Yea I use brake cleaner on everything I love that stuff!

I need to buy some more come to think of it I buy it 6 at a time im down to 2 cans I think. Im gonna start buying it buy the case lol I like the cheap stuff at rural king. It's 1.79 a can and works just as good as the high dollar stuff.

-
Back