My plans for my 69 Dart Swinger 340

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
1.) Add power steering.
2.) Add front disc brakes.
3.) Add rear air shocks.
4.) Adjust front ride height up maybe 2 inches.
What order should I do all this? I know the front will need an alignment after the ride height adjustment and probably after the disc brake conversation. Any suggestions on kits to do this?

20240731_110923.jpg

Front disc’s first. You’ll have plenty to do right there.

I would look into electric power steering, thats what all new cars have, get more room for headers and such.

Why air shocks? That’s so 60’s. You will hate the ride quality.
New re-arched leaf springs is the way I would go if I wanted to if I wanted to stiffen/raise the rear.

There are plenty of disc brake kits out there, someone here will chime in.

Nice looking car by the way.

Question #1

Do you want to keep small bolt pattern or go to large bolt pattern?

Question #2 why air shocks?

Front disc’s first. You’ll have plenty to do right there.

I would look into electric power steering, thats what all new cars have, get more room for headers and such.

Why air shocks? That’s so 60’s. You will hate the ride quality.
New re-arched leaf springs is the way I would go if I wanted to if I wanted to stiffen/raise the rear.

There are plenty of disc brake kits out there, someone here will chime in.

Nice looking car by the way.
Thanks for the reply. The 60's look is what I'm going for.
Question #1

Do you want to keep small bolt pattern or go to large bolt pattern?

Question #2 why air shocks?
Yes I want to keep the original wheels, the air shocks for the style I like.

Why disc brakes? I have used 10" drums and manual steering for years, no issues with either. Only discs you can use are 67-72 K-H 4-piston if you want to keep your small bolt pattern...

Don’t go for the air shocks. The upper shock mounts are not designed to take/support the weight of the back half of the car. The leaf spring mounts are designed to take the weight of the back half of the car. Just get your existing rear spring re-arched or new springs with a higher arch.

I think '70 340 A bodies are the only '68 to '72 340 A bodies that had standard disc brakes.
You are correct if you are saying standard equipment. Or maybe you are saying standard not power assisted ? The 1970 340 swinger along with the new for 1970 duster 340 came with power assisted disc brakes as standard equipment. These were the four piston kelsey hayes small bolt pattern units.

You are correct if you are saying standard equipment. Or maybe you are saying standard not power assisted ? The 1970 340 swinger along with the new for 1970 duster 340 came with power assisted disc brakes as standard equipment. These were the four piston kelsey hayes small bolt pattern units.
My all original '70 Swinger 340 (with the build sheet) came with non power K-H disc brakes and non power steering. Strangely enough, it was ordered with factory A/C. (code H51).

Why disc brakes? I have used 10" drums and manual steering for years, no issues with either. Only discs you can use are 67-72 K-H 4-piston if you want to keep your small bolt pattern...
I believe (and I bet that most on the forum will agree) that disc brakes are a big improvement over drums. They will stop a car in a shorter distance. I added disc brakes to my 69 340 4 speed Barracuda, and I think it is the best upgrade I have made to it. Now I will agree that drum brakes do work fine, but disc brakes are more efficient, they stop better and they don't fade with heat as badly as drums. And if the Op does not mind using aftermarket disc brake upgrade kits, I used a Stainless Steel Brake Corp Disc brake conversion that allowed be to keep my SBP wheels. There may be other kits available.

That being said, I agree with you 100% about keeping the Manual Steering. I have PS in my 69 Barracuda, and it is a bit sloppy. I have replaced everything, and it is still a bit sloppy. I have seriously thought about going to manual steering a lot! Manual steering in an A Body is not a problem.

Factory numbers H code car? I'd do a correct restoration on it.

My 1972 Duster is set up how I think you want, but not how you are currently planning. It was a factory /6 car swapped to a 340/727/8-3/4 drivetrain. I was going after the Day Two Muscle Car raked stance. Since my Duster already had a BBP 8-3/4 I converted the front to 1973 BBP 11” disc brakes. I followed that up with all new brake lines, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake booster to match the 1973 Duster brake system. Then out back I called ESPO and bought the 340 HD 6-leaf +2” leaf springs. This gave me the rake I wanted, but then I opted for safety based on the recommendations of the members here cautioning about stiff rear springs with soft torsion bars and power brakes being potential spin out in a turn and bought 1.03” PST torsion bars. I set my front torsion bar adjustment to factory measurements (2” difference in elevation between bottom of lower ball joint and bottom of torsion bar socket on lower arm). Followed that up with 215/65R15 on 15x7 zero offset wheels up front and 255/60R15 on 15x8 out back. I retained manual steering but with a fresh steering box and new steering column bearings and a 15” Challenger steering wheel. Handling is flat in corners with no sway bars at all and the steering is perfectly responsive. Plenty of room for activities and no power steering to leak, because I don’t care what anyone says, I have never met a power steering system that didn’t leak eventually lol.

I know you mentioned wanting to do this in stages, but I can’t find a reason to do it in stages, gather up all the parts over the next few months and then tear into it all in one shot. Because disc brake upgrade if changing A arms or finding worn out bushings to replace will require alignment. If you swap to power steering that’s another alignment. Adjust torsion bars regardless of replacing them for bigger, another alignment…. All in one shot, one alignment, back to enjoyment.

You can have big bolt pattern and factory wheels

Do the discs first. I prefer Wilwood. Swap to the 4.5" pattern.

Your car already has the 60's look... The front could come up a tad, maybe, It's hard to tell how much tire exposure you have from the angle of your picture. The rear is just about right now. If you want to change your ride height I'd be looking into +1 or +1.5 springs. Personally I despise the 4x4 off road look, but hey, to each their own. I also like cars that function properly.

Power steering, a personal preference, nothing wrong with it. The guy who mentioned electric power steering as an option peaked my interest. I haven't heard of this for our cars, but it's intriguing.

who mentioned electric power steering as an option peaked my interest. I haven't heard of this for our cars, but it's intriguing.
Several ppl on this forum have done the electric steering conversion. The electric assist is hidden up under the dash and it retains the stock manual steering look under the hood.

My all original '70 Swinger 340 (with the build sheet) came with non power K-H disc brakes and non power steering. Strangely enough, it was ordered with factory A/C. (code H51).
I have one 69 Swinger 340 4-speed with factory manual disc brakes and factory A/C plus another 69 Formula S convertible 340 4-speed manual discs and A/C...

My 70 340 Duster came with manual disc brakes up front. Pretty sure that was standard and not power assist.

My mistake. Yes you're correct and I'm mistaken. Disc brakes were standard equipment and power assist was an option. The two I had were power assisted. Memory not what it once was.

I converted to power steering. Worth it for the faster ratio with assist which can be adjusted. Don't use used stuff, get a Firm Feel box and a Saginaw pump. go to the Borgsen stuff or go electric as stated but you'll need a fast ratio manual box if your like me and what to corner with in the week.

I’m not saying 60’s look, just the stupid way of doing it in the 60’s with air shocks.

Keep in mind that when you rake a car like that, you mess up your front suspension geometry a bit. Tire wear, slow down the steering (oversteer I believe).

-
Back