NAG1 standalone options

-
Reaction score
After doing some research I haven't found any reputable company with a standalone system for the nag1 besides PCS or Compushift II system. Anybody have experience with either or with a better system? I have thought about just adapting a 4l60 or 4l80 to the setup, but I would like to keep in the same family if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PCS -

http://soundgermanautomotive.com/pcs/

Compushift II -

http://twistmachine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=84

I dont see where that Compushift type wouldnt be excellent if it works. Nag1 transmissions can be had for cheap.

Could a Megashift setup get anywhere close to controlling a NAG1 or is there too much else going on with it? Pretty sure you can build a standalone version of one, but not sure what all kind of parameters it can handle or what transmissions it can talk to.

Contact lxmodguy, he has a stand alone controller for the nag1.

We have a fully functiong NAG1 stand alone and have had it for almost a year. It is based on the PCS controller and includes the wiring harness.

We have a fully functiong NAG1 stand alone and have had it for almost a year. It is based on the PCS controller and includes the wiring harness.

Warning to those out there that this not an authorized dealer for this system from PCS. It is not the same system as the authorized dealer package. Contact PCS for authorized retailers.

Warning to those out there that this not an authorized dealer for this system from PCS. It is not the same system as the authorized dealer package. Contact PCS for authorized retailers.

My transmission dealer IS AN AUTHORIZED dealer. 3 posts?? Why dont you mind your own business!

The only PCS dealer for the Nag1 is listed in the 1st post of this thread.

That's not exactly true. I have been going back and fourth with Russell at sound garden for a while. My trans guy helped finished the trans tuning working directly with pcs. It's a mute point. With 4 posts your clear just here making a fuss. All I do is tuning. I'm not interested in fighting with folks. I'm here to help people.

It is true. I am Russell. What you have is an older firmware version from what I sell now and a tcu and a harness not made at PCS. Your trans guy took my work to PCS and tried to go around me and they said no and to go through me. In fact all the other PCS dealers have to go through me for this application. Tuning is done on every car out there. Every customer and car and transmission is a little different and needs to be tuned. To sell the package as a one size fits all does not work. I have probably over a hundred calibration files on my computer from different customers all over the world.
You have to take into account power curves, weight, gearing, everything. It would be like saying here is a tune for and gen3 hemi. Not knowing what cams, head work, exhaust , injectors, etc it had and saying it will work for all.
I take this all very seriously and would rather a customer not buy it than have a bad experience with it. And there are a lot of things potential customers should now that no one but me knows because I developed it.

Well then, I guess I can spell it out completely if you like. I am not sure if my trans guy used anything of yours. I know the initial stuff that he got blew up several transmissions. I know that only through multiple popped transmissions, over a year worth of tuning in his race car, was he able to make it work. When we spoke almost two years ago you could make it shift manually or in auto mode, but you had all kinds of issues with the shift logic and the safety features. Coming on here and saying that someone took your stuff when it didn't work in the first place is kinda silly. It took my trans guy 10's of thousands of dollars in R&D to make it work properly. He has it working with full features in a 8 second drag car. If you have anything that significant please.....tell us all about it. Better yet, become a sponsor and help these folks that are stuck. I can't support all these folks with their questions (which I do FOR FREE). I haven't sold a single controller to anyone on this forum. We can't get the price down to be competitive yet. So while we can solve the problem, its still to expensive and not really ready for prime time yet

I can not help that a customer tried to tune a modified transmission that I had no experience with and had problems. I supplied base calibrations as a starting point with plenty of warning that he was working in a territory that I had no experience. He asked for no help at any time after the initial setup. I asked if there was anything I could do multiple times and how it was going, on follow up calls and emails, and was never told he was having any problems.
I have since tuned on his transmissions and have realized that the pressures that I use on a stock transmission or more precisely a stock valve body or one with blue top solenoids do not work on his modified valve body. This is no fault of mine and I can not help those who do not ask for it.
What I can tell you is what I already said. That there is no one answer. I supply good base starter calibrations to my customers which I have many and not one has ever to my knowledge damaged their car or transmission. I can help with issues via emailed datalogs and calibrations but only if the customer asks.
I have many satisfied and repeat customers and am very proud of the work that I have put in to this. I continue to improve the product and work with PCS on new firmware on a regular basis. I only release new firmware after I have tested it for months on my own cars and now every detail.
It is still not perfect but is 100% daily drivable.
The bugs in this and older firmware have nothing to do with tuning. They are logic issues. And no amount of tuning can change that. If you have a good solid tune some can be avoided potentially but you would have to know what they are and what settings have to be what.
For instance on all older firmwares, like the one that is being used by your trans guy, if you put the shifter in neutral and then back into drive it will be out of phase and potentially crash the car as the transmission rows through the gears.
This is the kind of thing that a customer must completely understand and never do. IF the car is put into neutral while driving it must coast to a stop and cycle to park and back and most likely restart the car.
This among many other things have been resolved in the current firmware but there are still a few more things to work on. I provide firmware upgrades to existing customers free of charge and support them through the transition.
This is a very complicated transmission and I have a really solid product at this point. I do not avidly search out customers for it because it is not for everybody.
The current firmware is the 1st that I have had that I feel comfortable reaching out to people so that I am not fielding long initial calls that do not end up in sales.
As far as my pricing I do not know what to say. I sell it for the retail of any other PCS system for any of their transmissions. The only thing that is more expensive is that I have a bolt on speed sensor kit that I sell for basically a few dollars over my cost. Not because I make money with it but it cuts down on problems for customers and technical support issues and it provides the solution for customers that do not have the means to do this on their end.
I am done here if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask via pm or my regular contact info already listed in this thread.

I dont know what to say about all of that. At this point I know we have a fully functioning solution in both street cars and race cars. As I said, I am just a tuner. I am very close with most of the vendors in the gen3 hemi world. I think there is room for everyone in this market. I know you are a good guy. I have talked to you several times. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you over it. I regret that it has gone that way. Ultimately I wish a fully functioning controller would have been available when I started on my build. The NAG1 is a hell of a transmission. Better than the majority of A body/B body folks realize. After owning about 4 NAG1 SRT cars myself I know how well the NAG1 works and how durable it can be once built.

-
Back