need help adjusting my linkage

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
this is a first for me ( my other trans were hydraulic ) dealing with linkages.
I lined everything up with neutral, got first and second to work well, but when I hooked up the 3-4 linkage I cant get it to go in, I can get it to engage ( with the linkage hooked up) from under the car ( even the shifter up top moves) but I cant get 3-4 if I shift it from up top.
the shifter box is new from brewers and none of the linkages are getting hung up anywhere.
I'm pulling my hair out.....any ideas ??

first you put a pin through the shifter arms so the shifter is locked in neutral, then make sure the trans is in neutral, and adjust the linkage and hook it up to the trans in that order.

So if I understand this correctly, you can go underneath and manually move the ear third and fourth lever and get it into gear no problem. You can move the shifter and it moves its lever no problem but when you connect the two with the rod it's not working?

So if I understand this correctly, you can go underneath and manually move the ear third and fourth lever and get it into gear no problem. You can move the shifter and it moves its lever no problem but when you connect the two with the rod it's not working?
yep

So now I'm kind of thinking maybe a bind in the shifter lever of some sort? Like maybe having someone apply the pressure as to going Into 3rd or 4th and feeling the resistance on the throw lever underneath.
Also if you just got it from Brewers I would definitely be giving them a call !

It could be you need to rotate the tail shaft to get it to drop into gear, if the teeth are worn they might be hitting at the points and not between so it will drop in

My bad I kind of gave him credit for thinking of that one already.
It could be you need to rotate the tail shaft to get it to drop into gear, if the teeth are worn they might be hitting at the points and not between so it will drop in

I hear ya loud and clear it's new, and stiff and old technology, but you can shift the 3rd 4th ear with your hand on the transmission with relitive ease and feal the movements of the shifting ear when someone is going through the 3rd 4th motion with the shifter in the car and then a rod between them ?
freshly rebuilt trans

I hear ya loud and clear it's new, and stiff and old technology, but you can shift the 3rd 4th ear with your hand on the transmission with relitive ease and feal the movements of the shifting ear when someone is going through the 3rd 4th motion with the shifter in the car and then a rod between them ?
I can shift 1-2 up top ,I can hear everything click into place under the car....I can shift 3-4 under the car and watch the shifter move up top.
but when I go up top to shift it into 3-4 I wont move. the shifter works good without the rods connected, and the rods are not getting hung up anywhere.

That is the starting point for you on this. The pin through the shifter arms line up the shift gate across neutral. With the trans verified in neutral adjust each rod length for the tabs to slip over the pivots. When you tighten the nuts for the tabs down hold the tab with an adjustable wrench and don't over torque. Once all three are on remove the pin. See what it does.
Good luck!

Last edited:
You know that the frontmost lever on the tranny is the 3/4 lever right?

And that the stick up top is always resting in the 3/4 gate, until you smack it over into the 1/2 gate, right?

Are you using the original linkage rods and operating levers? Is this a new conversion or just a tune up of your old parts? Is it possible that the operating levers got mixed up or installed backwards? (just thinking out loud)

That is the starting point for you on this. The pin through the shifter arms line up the shift gate across neutral. With the trans verified in neutral adjust each rod length for the tabs to slip over the pivots. When you tighten the nuts for the tabs down hold the tab with an adjustable wrench and don't over torque. Once all three are on remove the pin. See what it does.
Good luck!

I noticed that " a special tool" was required how can I work around that, or where do I get the tool ?
I bought this car years ago that the previous owner " converted" to a 4speed ( another story ) I have no idea what anything is out of..just trying to get everything to work.

100_2462.JPG

100_2460.JPG

Should be a hole in the levers that a pin can fit through when in neutral. Some use a drill bit .250" I believe.

Shiftalign.jpg

-
Back