need help adjusting my linkage

-
Here's what I see. The shifter adapter is bolted to a steel plate. Tell me it isn't so. The shifter body is supposed to be bolted to the bosses on the tailhousing. No wonder why you are having issues.

Here's what I see. The shifter adapter is bolted to a steel plate. Tell me it isn't so. The shifter body is supposed to be bolted to the bosses on the tailhousing. No wonder why you are having issues.
the reason you see a steel plate is because I got a gear vendor overdrive unit attached to the back of the trans. the steel plate is the only way I could mount the shifter ( the of replaced the tail shaft section)

Remember not all shifters have those holes I've stumped a few people with my Hurst shifter mechanism and it only has holes in two of the levers and not one of the other levers. So I have to just line them up by hand, crazy but yet true
Should be a hole in the levers that a pin can fit through when in neutral. Some use a drill bit .250" I believe.

View attachment 1715023665

And I don't know if it's been explained the easiest way possible but that little pin puts all the shift levers in the neutral position And you put all the levers in the neutral position on the transmission and just adjust the rods accordingly to fit. And Wallah everything is Adjusted. Then after that if you're having problems we got to work on stuff....

Remember not all shifters have those holes I've stumped a few people with my Hurst shifter mechanism and it only has holes in two of the levers and not one of the other levers. So I have to just line them up by hand, crazy but yet true

Yeah, I've seen them. I thought there was a "U" shaped alignment bracket for those?
Enlarging and lightening sorta gave me a hint on this one. I might be wrong.......................
Shiftalign2.jpg

And I don't know if it's been explained the easiest way possible but that little pin puts all the shift levers in the neutral position And you put all the levers in the neutral position on the transmission and just adjust the rods accordingly to fit. And Wallah everything is Adjusted. Then after that if you're having problems we got to work on stuff....
thanks

Here's a thread that has the tool description for the Inland shifters that Del posted awhile back................
Alignment tool

I would like to say thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out
I was able to find the holes and locked into place. however because I changed my shifter unit, my shift rods are to long...gonna contact Brewers tommrow....again thanks

Thank you so much for keeping up with this thread and letting us know what the problem was and is and please continue letting us know how it completely got fixed. That way we get to learn to in case we get that same Jam or someone else does. And again thank you

Just to chime in on this topic. Last week I was mocking up my stock Hurst shifter with my 4 speed transmission sitting on the bench. I tied to install the alignment pin through the shifter arms only to find out that the reverse arm was not drilled. After a little research, I found that the factory shifter usually did not have an alignment hole in the reverse arm.
I noticed that in the old factory 4 speed training video that was posted, that they use a alignment tool that goes around the arms to hold them in position. I wonder if this is due to there not being a hole in all three arms? Where do you get that tool today?

-
Back