Need help pricing hood

-

junior636

Reaction score
I have the stock hood for my 69 swinger as an extra, I'd like to sell it but everyone seems to have a different opinion of what its worth. Hood is in perfect shape with all moldings and emblems. This is the hood with the bump ups that has the 340 for barrel in laid into the bump ups. I'm hoping to get some clearer advise here as to what my asking price should be. I like to sell quick and normally ask pretty low for my stuff.

Yeah, I know. I bought the car from my dad and the extra hood has been hanging in his garage. My parents are moving and I need to get up there and grab the hood and take some pics. I dont have room to store an extra hood.

The biggest problem selling something as large as a hood is the cost of shipping. Unless your price is extremely low (or the item is extremely rare) the only people likely to be interested are going to be local.

There are generally 2 types of people shopping for these parts. The first is adamant about buying o.e.m. parts and they have no problem having to strip off the old paint and take care of small flaws. The second type are the ones that take into consideration the full cost of reconditioning those used parts versus the cost of reproduction pieces.

Quick sales usually mean low prices. If the hoods are not difficult to find the price may have to be still lower. A lot of o.e.m. parts sell for outrageous prices. - Especially if those parts are not being reproduced. I've sometimes scoffed at prices that I've seen guys ask for their parts only to see that they will actually get the prices they are asking.

The only advice I can give is to show a few examples of the reproduction parts you are selling and the prices associated with them. From that maybe you can figure (based on demand) what you think you can realistically expect to get for yours. (a.e 50% to 200% of repop prices)

View attachment 11.jpg

View attachment 12.jpg

Yeah, I know its all such a hit and miss selling these parts these days. I seen the re-pop hood was around $600 and guys were telling me mine was only worth $3-400? I would think it would be at least re-pop price but I dont want to sit on it forever either because I just dont have the room to store it.

I had an oem hood that looked great when I bought it. After I sanded it down, I found it had a lot of bondo in it.
Ended up buying a repop AMD hood. Sold my original to someone not so picky. My point is,3-400 is fair imo, because it's 45 years old. Might have rust, might have been hit, bolt holes might be stripped. Someone is gambling 3-400 dollars that they are getting a good deal. With a new product, you have recourse if there's a
problem. Also, I bought my new hood for less than $500. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I know its all such a hit and miss selling these parts these days. I seen the re-pop hood was around $600 and guys were telling me mine was only worth $3-400? I would think it would be at least re-pop price but I dont want to sit on it forever either because I just dont have the room to store it.

I guess you can price it however you like. If you would have been happy swapping your original hood for the hood you chose as a replacement, you might just want to recoup that cost. The folks willing to pay the most are still most likely to be the ones that can pick it up and avoid shipping costs. If there's a lively Mopar community close to you, they'd be the best ones to target. I'm sure that you've seen a lot of things for sale here on FABO that get snatched up immediately at the asking price while other parts go unsold as people try to whittle down the posted prices. It really is hit and miss.

I had an oem hood that looked great when I bought it. After I sanded it down, I found it had a lot of bondo in it. Ended up buying a repop AMD hood. Sold my original to someone not so picky. My point is,3-400 is fair imo, because it's 45 years old. Might have rust, might have been hit, bolt holes might be stripped. Someone is gambling 3-400 dollars that they are getting a good deal. With a new product, you have recourse if there's a problem. Also, I bought my new hood for less than $500. Just something to think about.

Ya, as these parts get older it's really getting a lot more difficult to find stuff that you don't have issues with. Unless I'm doing a back to original restoration I tend to choose aftermarket lately. It's often cheaper than having to fix the old parts. The re-pops have caused the o.e.m. parts to drop in price. But there are still those out there that insist on o.e.m. and are willing to pay a premium for it.

There is a separate value to the hood inserts. Around $125 with a lot of variability due to condition: chrome pitting and broken studs, 340 callout condition.

Bare hood is going to top out $400-500 I would think in your part of the country. If it's super primo, virgin, no rust ever you might be able to squeak near $500 if you sit on it for a while. Maybe more.

Search the parts for sale here. There have been many for sale.

Everything is worth what someone will pay for it. It seems like shipping hoods without them getting damaged is hard to do when private parties do it.

-
Back