Never heard of a Roadrunner???

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
As we were driving home after watching the new Star Trek movie (it was awesome!), my wife asks me if I'm going to start working on my "rusty car in the portable garage". I said "you mean the Roadrunner?" and she says "no, the rusty car". I explained that the rusty car was a Roadrunner and asked her what car she thought I was referring to. She replied "the blue car" meaning my GTX. So I asked her if she knew that there was a Plymouth model actually named "Roadrunner". She said "no, I thought you called all your cars roadrunners". She never actually heard of a model called Roadrunner, even though I talked about them to her for at least five years and even pointed them out to her at car shows. I've owned my Roadrunner for five years now, but it is not drivable yet. She wasn't even mistaking the GTX for a Roadrunner like most car people do.

I guess men do actually speak a different language than women (exceptions for special ladies like Rani and the Cudachick!).

I just thought this was cute, just as I think she is.

That's funny.
All these years she just thought you had a cute pet name for your cars.

That's funny.
All these years she just thought you had a cute pet name for your cars.

Yeah. She heard of the cartoon, but didn't know that Chrysler bought the license to use the name from Warner Bros. (?). She named the Barracuda "Maggie" and then asked what the GTXs name was, and I said GTX. I don't call it by any other name. I guess she thought that I still called it a roadrunner, but that it's name wasn't "Roadrunner".

I can't complain though. She doesn't mind going to car shows and has never complained about my car afflictions.:blob: I'm a lucky man for sure!:D

Your wife must be very young. Wife's do not listen to a thing men say, but most I hear when she talks about stuff for the house all I hear is blah blah blah and just nod.

In women's defense, I've run into a surprising number of women, some fairly young, that seem to know "all about" Road Runners.

Maybe she knows the cars as Road Runner, not Roadrunner. The name is two separate words!
A Mopar guy should know this.....Tee hee.

Your wife must be very young. Wife's do not listen to a thing men say, but most I hear when she talks about stuff for the house all I hear is blah blah blah and just nod.

No, she's over 50.

When you are speaking, Roadrunner and Road Runner sound exactly the same my friends.:eek:ops:

Hell, I know kids who have never driven a rear wheel drive car in their lives.

...and except for the new dart, how many people do you know (especially young people) who have never heard of a dart, Duster, etc?

Hell, I know kids who have never driven a rear wheel drive car in their lives.

...and except for the new dart, how many people do you know (especially young people) who have never heard of a dart, Duster, etc?

True, but then again they aren't married to a car nut that is always talking about them and pointing them out at car shows.

It is a little sad that so many young people know nothing of these cool older cars.

it really annoys me now when i tell my friends i drive a dart they say "those are so cute" ...they think im talking about a new one ....then i have to clarify .....i drive a real dart....one made out of steel LOL from 1968 when America knew how to build an Automobile LOL :D

it actually annoys me too when MOPAR guys themselves confuse a road runner with a GTX .....really ...how does that happen ....the GTX has the extra chrome ...the grille is different (68-70) the tail panel is different, those years GTX had a huge emblem on the side says GTX lol

a roadrunner is cheapy ....didnt have much in the chrome dept. unless it had the A87 decor package ....and even still was plain except for the satellite tail panel and interior that came with the decor package.

i will never understand how the two cars get confused ....totally different animals.

it really annoys me now when i tell my friends i drive a dart they say "those are so cute" ...they think im talking about a new one ....then i have to clarify .....i drive a real dart....one made out of steel LOL from 1968 when America knew how to build an Automobile LOL :D

I know what you mean rani! While at work I constantly get asked what I drive.. I politely respond "that's my dart in the parking lot". Most kids respond "oh I haven't seen one of those yet"..when they look outside the shop, puzzled and say "I don't see it, what's that old green car?"

...I just chuckle and go back to work on their Honda or Kia...

Yes, my wife is definitely "a keeper"!

I had a guy argue with me once that I had the wrong grille on my 68 GTX. He said that the grille should be exactly the same as the Satellite and Road Runners'. OK whatever dude.:sign3:

My wife isn't a car person at all, but she surprised me one day when she said that her and her ex owned a Road Runner back in the mid '70s.
I asked her what year the car was and she wasn't sure. She said it was a blue one if that helped.
I assembled a photo line up and she picked one that was a '69.
She found an old picture of it, and it was a '69 for sure. This blew my mind.
Now if i can get her to stop calling Mopars ''Mopeds'' and my Dart Sport a ''Duster'', i think we'll have something here.
I think she just says this to piss me off!
And yep, she's a keeper.

it actually annoys me too when MOPAR guys themselves confuse a road runner with a GTX .....really ...how does that happen ....the GTX has the extra chrome ...the grille is different (68-70) the tail panel is different, those years GTX had a huge emblem on the side says GTX lol

In fact, it had "GTX" on all four sides. lol

I've had both a GTX and a RR. I purchased a new 1968 Hemi Roadrunner in the Summer of 1968, Yellow, black interior, 833/ dana. radio delete, carpet delete.

...and in November of 1969, I purchase a 1969 GTX from a neighbor. The GTX has 1300 miles (that's one thousand, three hundred miles)on it. As I recall, the Hemi was an additional $720.00, but along withthe engine, you get HD everything, included a fully gusseted chassis and pan, and disc breaks. Merely swapping a hemi into a B body was NOT the same thing.

It was a 440/4bbl, with an 833, and a Dana. The guy purchased the car, new for his wife, and she absolutely hated it. He sold me the car for $2470.00, which is what he still owed on it.
He replaced it with a 1970 Buick Apollo.

I love them both. In fact, as far as MoPar "B" bodies, go. I prefer the Plymouth B bodies over the Dodges.

btw, the "Beep-Beep", was actually more like a "Meep-Meep", and got even funnier if the battery was low... lol

...and I absolutely loved both of them.

I had a guy argue with me once that I had the wrong grille on my 68 GTX. He said that the grille should be exactly the same as the Satellite and Road Runners'. OK whatever dude.

well a GTX has the same grille as a sport satellite (RP23)
ppl sometimes confuse the satellite (RH23) with the Sport Satellite (RP23)

the GTX and Sport Satellite had same grille (RS23 + RP23)

and the Belvedere + satellite and roadrunner shared the grille (RL21 + RM23 + RH23)

and actually they made sport satellite wagons and 4 doors which also had teh same grille as GTX

-
Back