New 275 tire world record!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Jeff Miller ran a 3.89 in the eighth on a 275 drag radial. That is without wheelie bars as well!

C8380E86-91E6-4210-8455-10C1C4EE787F.jpeg

why isnt he running 1/4 mile?
1/8 mile racing is like metric displacement figures...just plain wrong

why isnt he running 1/4 mile?
1/8 mile racing is like metric displacement figures...just plain wrong

I believe it is a safety concern. These cars run without wheelie bars so it’s not out of place to see them power wheelie toward the end of the track which can be much more dangerous when you have 1/4 mile speeds. Plus by running 1/8 mile stuff they have more tracks they can run at since many small tracks do not have the extra room to slow down a 5 second 1/4 car.

I'm sure I must be in the minority, but I don't see the point in a "race" that I will miss if I blink once or twice. Too fast now, I don't see the entertainment value.

There are more 1/8 tracks than 1/4. That should tell you something. I've never cared for 1/8 mile either, but at least the sport is still alive. When I get done with this big Chevy build, and find a good Nova to put it in, I'll probably go to the nearest 1/8 track and get back into it a little. It'll be fun. Haven't raced in years.

There are more 1/8 tracks than 1/4. That should tell you something. I've never cared for 1/8 mile either, but at least the sport is still alive. When I get done with this big Chevy build, and find a good Nova to put it in, I'll probably go to the nearest 1/8 track and get back into it a little. It'll be fun. Haven't raced in years.

You nailed it.

Some of these big radial tire races going on down south are drawing huge crowds and a ton of young people.

Yes, and truthfully, think about it for a second. Most street races back in the day were red light to red light. 1/8 mile is a much closer representation of that distance.

1/8 mile or 1/4 mile is fine, but when it gets to be 3 or 4 seconds what is next? Finish before you launch?

It is mighty fast, but how many folks are really goin that fast? Not many. I could throw what I plan on into a 68-72 Nova and it will run 7s all day. I'm perfectly fine with that. A lot of people are.

I have a friend who lives less than a mile away. He is always tweakin on his latest car. It's a late model Camaro with a 2500 plus HP turbo LS. His daily driver is a 1500 HP turbo LS Chevy truck. He's big into 1/8 mile.

Here's the Camaro.

I guess I am not up on new starting line tech. In the video, why does the vehicle jump a few inches before the initial launch?

I guess I am not up on new starting line tech. In the video, why does the vehicle jump a few inches before the initial launch?

I don't know. I've been meaning to ask him. He comes in the store all the time. I'm sure it's part of the system they run because it does it every time.

Im going to try for the world record on 195 13 inch tires. Gotta beat 14 sec. Wish me luck.

I don't know. I've been meaning to ask him. He comes in the store all the time. I'm sure it's part of the system they run because it does it every time.[/QUOTE

It's a switch that allows them to spool the turbo and get on the converter before final staging. Maybe Racers here can explain it better.

Last edited:
It is mighty fast, but how many folks are really goin that fast? Not many. I could throw what I plan on into a 68-72 Nova and it will run 7s all day. I'm perfectly fine with that. A lot of people are.

Our Small Block Vega ran 7.0,s at 5800 feet. A whole bunch of fun and a fast enough ride for us.

wind up the turbos, line lock it, drop it into gear and go. May keep the convertor from overheating? Ask him....

I don't know. I've been meaning to ask him. He comes in the store all the time. I'm sure it's part of the system they run because it does it every time.

Try again here. It's a switch they use to spool up the turbo and get up on the converter.Once they are there they hit this Bump Switch to stage.

-
Back