New 275 tire world record!

-
Try again here. It's a switch they use to spool up the turbo and get up on the converter.Once they are there they hit this Bump Switch to stage.

Maybe so. I was thinkin it did have somethin to do with the turbo. I know nothing about turbos and don't want to so.........lol But I'll ask him. I feel sure you're right.

Often called 'bumping in" spooling the turbo(s) takes a few seconds. So you do your burnout, back up, rev the engine to build the launch boost, then bump up to stage.

Maybe so. I was thinkin it did have somethin to do with the turbo. I know nothing about turbos and don't want to so.........lol But I'll ask him. I feel sure you're right.

He is correct. They have what is called a two step. This limits the rpm at a point where the turbos are spooled and ready to go. You pre stage then put it on the two step and stage the rest of the way with it bouncing off the “false” rev limiter then you launch and it goes to the regular rev limiter for shifts.

Different kinds of racing for sure. I bet pros and cons to each. I would love to go to a quarter mile track and watch em run. I have run and watched em run years ago at Englishtown Raceway Park. However i have a nice nearly brand new state of the art 1/8 mile track only 10 mins from my house. It features all covered grandstands that are angled slightly to face down track. If the wind blows right i can hear em running at Abilene Dragstrip on friday and saturday nights.

And yes with the speeds of some of these cars theres sometimes not enough shut down area for them. My buddy Willy has a 2,500 HP blowered big block Chevy rail dragster. Bad assed car, he started it up in his driveway one night after the races on alcohol to clear out the nitro and blew in his dining room window LOL. He runs 1/8 mile with it. Says its a hoot. BTW he also runs a narrowed mopar 8.75 rear under the back with spooled 489 chunk in it. If it can handle the abuse of 2,500 hp and drag slicks. Then i imagine they can handle just about anything.

This thought just popped into my head since i concidered making an HO scale slot car drag strip until i realized an HO scale quarter mile would be 25 feet long, plus unpowered shutdown. Its not like slot car drags. Theres no padded box at the other end to catch you lol.

The thing I like about 1/4 mile is you can keep a decent street-able gear in the car.

To be competitive in the 1/8th you almost have to run 4.xx or 5.xx gears.

That being said, it's still fun to run the 8th, especially when there's one 10 miles away and the nearest 1/4 is over 60.

The thing I like about 1/4 mile is you can keep a decent street-able gear in the car.

To be competitive in the 1/8th you almost have to run 4.xx or 5.xx gears.

That being said, it's still fun to run the 8th, especially when there's one 10 miles away and the nearest 1/4 is over 60.

That's my situation completely. How'd you know? lol

I've been involved with all types of "1/4 mile out of town" races. I can tell ya, the most entertaining to me were the slow cars.
  • For instance, my '63 Fairlane, 170 6 cyl 3 on the tree vs my brothers '78 Volare wagon super six.... I dumped the clutch, put his front bumper back by my rear bumper... but when I hit 2nd gear, he started creep'n back in. I had to go to 3rd gear, and he just nosed by me by the end marker. LOL :D
You take two fast cars out of town, one breaks the tires loose and the other dude is 6 car lengths ahead and it's over. No time to see the gaining points... to see a fender creep'n around ya as the end is 100 ft away. It's over in a flash, usually by the traction game.

The boys actually came by today. The bump box hasn't a thing to do with spooling the turbo up. It's all about being more accurate getting the car staged. It works with the transbrake, as someone mentioned earlier. Theirs is infinitely adjustable and can be "bumped" as many times as necessary...although they have narrowed it down pretty good. Also, it is so sensitive that even after the transmission breaks in, the box needs readjusting.

The boys actually came by today. The bump box hasn't a thing to do with spooling the turbo up. It's all about being more accurate getting the car staged. It works with the transbrake, as someone mentioned earlier. Theirs is infinitely adjustable and can be "bumped" as many times as necessary...although they have narrowed it down pretty good. Also, it is so sensitive that even after the transmission breaks in, the box needs readjusting.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the basics but not the exact way it worked.

why isnt he running 1/4 mile?
1/8 mile racing is like metric displacement figures...just plain wrong
1/8 mile is all we have around here I have two 1/8 mile tracks within a hour from me but no 1/4 miles that I know of at all other than Bristol speedway and I dont think it's open to the public like that I may be wrong but it its about 3 hours or more away

I think on the old hemis, the secondaries don t even up in an 1/8 mile race

Yes, and truthfully, think about it for a second. Most street races back in the day were red light to red light. 1/8 mile is a much closer representation of that distance.
Plus, I am going to guess that the average guy can build a good 1/8 mile car for a lot less. Wouldn't a hard 1/8 mile race be a lot less wear and tear on the engine and tranny?

It's a gears and heads race, I love the 1/4 mile racing, and it puts more racers in the game :thumbsup:

You and I both know that there is not another dart on leaf springs running that hard.
I also "know" where to get the best country fried steak in town, but unless they enter into a competition, it will always just be my word against whoever else's

Same with this, unless they run in the 1/4 mile, the established test for straight line acceleration for the better part of a century, it will always be their word, and nothing more
It's kinda like being the best team in the WNBA...close, but not quite the same

Stiil cant gear a real street car for 1/8 mile !!
I'm not trying to be argumentative Bob,
but my car goes 93 in the 1/8th; I could have run 4.10s with that, and top out in third gear.It might not ever win anything but it sure was fun. That is why I ran the 1/8 cause I wouldn't have to swap out the street gears. The GVOD brings the 4.10s down to 3.20s. That is not what I ran but I could have.
I guess the GVOD could be considered cheating, but who wants to watch 10/12 second 1/8 mile door-slammers........

Stiil cant gear a real street car for 1/8 mile !!

I know a few guys that run x275 and non of them are running anything more than 4:30. As a matter of fact the guys running in the 1/8 mike with turbos have more street friendly gears then ALOT of 1/4 mile racers.

-
Back