New cam issues,

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Putting my 383 together, finally. Im at the point of putting the cam in. I bought it from a member about 4-5 years ago. I stored it in a tube box wrapped in a jeans material. That's how I received it. But... it looks tarnished, light rust almost. I took some brake cleaner to it and some brown ( I'm figuring rust) came off on the paper towel. Any thoughts what you'd do? Krokus cloth? Here's a couple of pics.no wear on the gear, so it's definitely not used...

16979269305588703534275654941585.jpg

16979269488636192288247742298466.jpg

16979269488636192288247742298466.jpg

Putting my 383 together, finally. Im at the point of putting the cam in. I bought it from a member about 4-5 years ago. I stored it in a tube box wrapped in a jeans material. That's how I received it. But... it looks tarnished, light rust almost. I took some brake cleaner to it and some brown ( I'm figuring rust) came off on the paper towel. Any thoughts what you'd do? Krokus cloth? Here's a couple of pics.no wear on the gear, so it's definitely not used...

View attachment 1716156613

View attachment 1716156615

View attachment 1716156616
Scuff it up with a maroon colored Scotchbrite and see what you have.

Another for scotch brite. You can also polish it/remove the rust if you put tit on lathe And spin er up to do it, makes your life easier

I'd go over that beeotch with some 400 grit emery cloth and mineral spirits so quick it'd make your head spin. Won't hurt a thing. Looks like you're gettin it cleaned up, though.

Ya know, I've went to 3 different places ( napa and 2 hardware stores) and no damn emery or krocus cloth!!

Yes, those are cast iron cores, there will be pores.
It won't hurt any.
I use red scotch Brite and final polish with green scotch Brite.
I would not use sand paper as there's a chance you could take the crown off of the lobe.....bad things happen without crown

Last edited:
Yes, those are cast iron cores, there will be pores.
It won't hurt any.
I use red scotch Brite and final polish with green scotch Brite.
I would not use sand paper as there's a chance you could take the crown out of the lobe.....bad things happen without crown
Thanks MM. I'll pick up some green tomorrow. Appreciate the input.

When you install the cam and lifters. Mark some pen on the lifters so you can see them rotate. Just for good measure

When you install the cam and lifters. Mark some pen on the lifters so you can see them rotate. Just for good measure
Will do. I took a straight edge metal ruler and laid a lifter on it. I could see it's concave and I can't verify completely, but I swear I could see taper on the lobes... probably just wishful thinking..lol

Will do. I took a straight edge metal ruler and laid a lifter on it. I could see it's concave and I can't verify completely, but I swear I could see taper on the lobes... probably just wishful thinking..lol
Did you mean to say convex? Or high in the middle? I hope so.

-
Back