New cam issues,

-
Using sewing machine weight oil will do it every time.

A guy down the road has never had a Comp cam go flat, must be luck I guess.
Maybe that's why he retired to keep the luck going. lol

A guy down the road has never had a Comp cam go flat, must be luck I guess.
Maybe that's why he retired to keep the luck going. lol
I guess it would be really easy to make comp cam not lose it's **** if you ran some super weak springs and put the real springs in after it's a known survivor

I wouldn't use Comp now if my life depended on it. I've never been crazy about them. I've always thought it was totally stupid they chose to grind most every off the shelf grind for every make of engine on 110 LSA. Just stupid cookie cutter stuff. Makes no sense. Plus, when you get one of their "techs" now, you are very likely to know more than he does. I wasn't impressed way back when and I'm still not. Now, when they were still "Competition Cams" that was a different story.

I guess it would be really easy to make comp cam not lose it's **** if you ran some super weak springs and put the real springs in after it's a known survivor
Yeah but who's to say upon replacing the weaker springs with the right ones it won't wipe lobes? In fact, nowadays with any brand flat tappet, who's to say it won't happen? What I am seeing is there are way less failures with solids than hydraulics, but that's just me. I don't know about everybody else.

Yeah but who's to say upon replacing the weaker springs with the right ones it won't wipe lobes? In fact, nowadays with any brand flat tappet, who's to say it won't happen? What I am seeing is there are way less failures with solids than hydraulics, but that's just me. I don't know about everybody else.
Yeah true, but in theory it should be work hardened by the time a normal break in happens.
I run solid flat with edm lifters + 20-30 lbs more spring pressure. But I sure am not running a comp,

Yeah true, but in theory it should be work hardened by the time a normal break in happens.
I run solid flat with edm lifters + 20-30 lbs more spring pressure. But I sure am not running a comp,
I put Crower Cam Savers in this Ford 400 I built for Gladys and while they broke in fin and had a great wear pattern, their valving was defective and they all ticked when the engine got hot. About 175 bucks down the toilet. I got some Melling $4.99 each lifters from Summit and zero noise cold or hot. Go figure.

If I count the 602 crate motors we see more failures with solid flat tappets as a percentage.
To be fair most of the solid flat tappet cams we see are fairly agressive circle track profiles. No rollers allowed except in the 604 crates. They are broke in on breakin oil with the correct procedure and most of the time breakin springs or rockers. The hydraulic flat tappet 602 crates are a mild profile cam with light spring pressures. I hope I don't jinx them but we never see cams or lifters fail in them.

I put Crower Cam Savers in this Ford 400 I built for Gladys and while they broke in fin and had a great wear pattern, their valving was defective and they all ticked when the engine got hot. About 175 bucks down the toilet. I got some Melling $4.99 each lifters from Summit and zero noise cold or hot. Go figure.
Yep it's weird how **** ends up happening.
I work mostly on cylinder heads and see a lot of BS hydraulic lifters coming in rock solid causing bent valves. But that's mostly **** wearing out or people not changing their oil when they're supposed to.

Yep it's weird how **** ends up happening.
I work mostly on cylinder heads and see a lot of BS hydraulic lifters coming in rock solid causing bent valves. But that's mostly **** wearing out or people not changing their oil when they're supposed to.
I've had other people say Mellings worked well, too. When you look, you see they are made in two places. USA and Mexico. If that means a thing.

So if you have to really dig in to remove the rust, you're also taking out base material. Just food for thought. Even something heavily rusted can shine up with enough sanding.

That said, your biggest source of flat tappet failures these days is lifter faces not properly ground. There's a guy in YouTube, Powell machine inc, he does a good job explaining what's going on. Worth considering sending your lifters out for a cleanup pass especially if they're newer.

So if you have to really dig in to remove the rust, you're also taking out base material. Just food for thought. Even something heavily rusted can shine up with enough sanding.

That said, your biggest source of flat tappet failures these days is lifter faces not properly ground. There's a guy in YouTube, Powell machine inc, he does a good job explaining what's going on. Worth considering sending your lifters out for a cleanup pass especially if they're newer.
I just bought a new set of old stock Johnson lifters off of FBBO. Considering sending 2 cams out to Oregon Cam Grinding to have them both reground. I have 2 sets of old lifters that I'll have resurfaced too

I just bought a new set of old stock Johnson lifters off of FBBO. Considering sending 2 cams out to Oregon Cam Grinding to have them both reground. I have 2 sets of old lifters that I'll have resurfaced too
Does Oregon resurface lifters?

-
Back