New torsion bar trouble

-

jrsbmws

Reaction score
Have 74 Swinger putting in new torsion bars , the driver side went ok adjustment arm all the way down to the adjustment block. Now passenger side bar will not go in unless you raise up adjustment arm to line up torsion bar to go in . The adjustment arm is 1/2"-5/8" up off adjustment block . Called torsion bar people they don't know . Up control arm down to frame , shocks , sway bar off strut rods and lower control arm shaft loose. Help

Sounds like a slight difference in the clocking of the hex ends. Have you turned the bar end for end to test fit ?
There is a difference in rear springs too so it is possible that adjusting the left will transfer load onto the right.

Yes have swapped ends front end is up on jack stands .

When I put the front end together without shocks car sits about a inch higher on driverside

"Up control arm down to frame"
As in not sitting on the bumper?
How much does it miss by?

check the numbers stamped on the ends of the bars to make sure you got two different bars, there is an odd number and an even number, not sure which goes to which side but that's what you need to check

Odd no. driver side with factory bars. Some new aftermarket bars, I'm told are not marked, but once you install and put weight on them, you need to keep them in their respective sides.

You can turn them end to end, that does not matter.

Both sets of stock bars that I had installed were a little like that. One had to be adjusted further to match ride height. Make sure the front socket is free inside the lower arm, sometimes they get stuck and wont let you rotate it to clock it correctly. Oh, and yes, the upper bump stop should be removed for easier installation.

Did you remove the rubber bumpers The manual said to remove then the upper arm will go down farther that is what I had to do Waco Demon

Uh, and this is a big deal how? Unless you have to jack one leg wayyy up, Let it run dude, quit over thinking it. Mine was the same way. Tolerances on these cars are egregious..

Don't forget that what is happening at the REAR of the car will affect the front as well

This might be the same issue I had on my 73 dart .Everything was replaced on my suspension but my passenger side torsion bar was having simmilar issues that yours is having . Look at your torsion bar cross member and see if anybody messed with the sockets that keep the ends of the torsion bars . If it looks like it was cut and rewelded . Compare them both . See how they are clocked .

Hope this helps

Yes no rubber stops ,shocks , sway bar. New bars marked L and R. Thanks for info

Some new aftermarket bars, I'm told are not marked, but once you install and put weight on them, you need to keep them in their respective sides.

You can turn them end to end, that does not matter.

If I'm not mistaken, some aftermarket bars are offset and some aren't.

I know that the 1" Just Suspension bars are not, but I think that the 1.030" PST bars are. It depends on the manufacturer.

However, the bars have to be "clocked" to go into the rear mount in the frame, so I would think that you should try to get the front mount in a position where the hexes line up on the front and rear mounts to install them.

Or have you tried to install the bar with the lower control arm separated from the lower ball joint, then line up the hexes of the bar to fit both front and rear, then jack up the lower control arm and secure the lower ball joint. This may put a little "pre-load" on the bar, but may be the only way to get them together if you can't get the front and rear hex on the bars into their mounts with everything bolted together.

So, is the issue fixed?

Why are you putting in new torsion bars if I may ask?

So, is the issue fixed?

Why are you putting in new torsion bars if I may ask?

Where are you located. I'm south west of Chicago. You may be just north of me.

I'm in Palos/Orland Park.

Where are you located. I'm south west of Chicago. You may be just north of me.

I'm in Palos/Orland Park.

In N. Aurora. My cousin and I used to sell golf balls back to golfers off 147th st. when everything south of that was corn fields.

I'm changing cause the car had a 6 cyl. , putting a 440 in there

In N. Aurora. My cousin and I used to sell golf balls back to golfers off 147th st. when everything south of that was corn fields.

You aren't too far from me.

My mom and bro are in Plainfield.

I'm changing cause the car had a 6 cyl. , putting a 440 in there

1) So jrsbmws, is the problem resolved or is you car still on a passenger side list?

2) If still low on the passenger side did you run out of adjustment?

Have not done any more to it, changing rearend now when done back to the front end

-
Back