No 10 W 30 oil at Walmart.

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I went to Walmart today to get some 10 W 30 synthetic oil for the Barracuda. They have every oil viscosity you can imagine, except for 10 W 30. There were a few empty spots on the shelf, I might try another Walmart. I might wind up going with 5 W30. I’m not an oil expert, do you think that would be OK?

it seems to be a harder weight oil to find lately for some reason.. most newer stuff seems to take 5/20 or so. maybe thats why

It seems 10w-30 is going the way of the 10w-40. Ninety percent of what we do at the dealership is 5w-30.

I went to Walmart today to get some 10 W 30 synthetic oil for the Barracuda. They have every oil viscosity you can imagine, except for 10 W 30. There were a few empty spots on the shelf, I might try another Walmart. I might wind up going with 5 W30. I’m not an oil expert, do you think that would be OK?
5W will be just fine. 5W or 10W means that upon cold startup, you 30 weight oil will have the viscosity, or flow, at the rate of a 5 or 10 weight, thereby getting oil through your motor faster, but still have the properties of a 30 weight oil at operating temps. Its a dual viscosity/rating system designed for colder temps.

I just had to order three tubes of deep blue rub online because Walmart won’t stock it. Ordered it tonight and it’s saying it will be here next Monday with free shipping to my house. I’m ordering more and more online anymore.

IIRC Napa synthetic is/was on sale for about $21. USA made.

5W will be just fine. 5W or 10W means that upon cold startup, you 30 weight oil will have the viscosity, or flow, at the rate of a 5 or 10 weight, thereby getting oil through your motor faster, but still have the properties of a 30 weight oil at operating temps. Its a dual viscosity/rating system designed for colder temps.

***edit**

Comment retracted, I was backward!

Last edited:
5W/30 oil means that at 0*C, the viscosity is equivalent to a SAE 5 oil. At 100*C, the viscosity is equivalent to a SAE 30 oil.

Backwards sir.

Oil thins as it heats up. For a 5-30w you get the equivalent of 30w when cold, but all the way down to 5w when hot.
Nope not backwards. Its all about maintaining its viscosity, like stated below, it will maintain its 30 weight flow rating at 100*C, it will not thin down below that. But upon startup in colder temps, it will flow like a 5 weight to provide quicker oil flow. Ive attached one page of a very informative article I read years ago explaining it, the second paragraph is what you want to concentrate on.
It can be very confusing, thats why I had downloaded and printed off that article. Lots of additives and chemical properties involved that I know nothing about...haha
5W/30 oil means that at 0*C, the viscosity is equivalent to a SAE 5 oil. At 100*C, the viscosity is equivalent to a SAE 30 oil.
I think I may be guilty of not explaining it good enough, when I mentioned cold startup, since I live in Canada, I was thinking about wintertime when its very cold out. Thanks for adding that clarification.
oil.jpeg

I’ve always use conventional oil in my old muscle cars (VR1 10w-30). In our old MoPars how does synthetic oil work out for you all?

Nope not backwards. Its all about maintaining its viscosity, like stated below, it will maintain its 30 weight flow rating at 100*C, it will not thin down below that. But upon startup in colder temps, it will flow like a 5 weight to provide quicker oil flow. Ive attached one page of a very informative article I read years ago explaining it, the second paragraph is what you want to concentrate on.
It can be very confusing, thats why I had downloaded and printed off that article. Lots of additives and chemical properties involved that I know nothing about...haha

I think I may be guilty of not explaining it good enough, when I mentioned cold startup, since I live in Canada, I was thinking about wintertime when its very cold out. Thanks for adding that clarification.
View attachment 1716282370

Wow. Well after further reading I completely misremembered that. Basic viscosity typically works the way I described (thinner when hotter, thicker when colder). But for motor oil and the standard rating system it follows I had the temperature rating system and "W" usage completely backward.

Sorry for the confusion!

Wow. Well after further reading I completely misremembered that. Basic viscosity typically works the way I described (thinner when hotter, thicker when colder). But for motor oil and the standard rating system it follows I had the temperature rating system and "W" usage completely backward.

Sorry for the confusion!
No problem, all good!

I've never known WalMart to carry anything with high zinc anyway so I don't shop for oil there.

I've never known WalMart to carry anything with high zinc anyway so I don't shop for oil there.

A lot of guys run this and Walmart sells it.

The amount of zinc in Shell Rotella engine oils varies by type, but most contain around 1200 parts per million (ppm):
  • T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil: Contains approximately 1200 ppm of zinc
  • 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil: Contains approximately 1200 ppm of zinc
  • T1 diesel 15W-40: Contains 1300 ppm of zinc

Good luck finding Rotella at my WalMart, the store management is still using the Covid excuse for a crutch.

I've read lots of reasons not to run diesel oil in older gas motors. I'm not an expert, so I just don't know.

With so many oils to choose from, with specific additives for specific engines, why would you use diesel oil....in a petrol engine??

A lot of guys run this and Walmart sells it.

The amount of zinc in Shell Rotella engine oils varies by type, but most contain around 1200 parts per million (ppm):
  • T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil: Contains approximately 1200 ppm of zinc
  • 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil: Contains approximately 1200 ppm of zinc
  • T1 diesel 15W-40: Contains 1300 ppm of zinc
in some motorcycle circles the rotella T6 is considered nectar of the gods. i've always been a motul man myself in that regard, but i can report that it does work and damn well. i ran it in my ram with a 5.7 and when i sold the truck with 220K on the clock it was still going strong without even a whisper of lifter tick.

because like many other things, some are just stuck in the past.

Right?

I run Penngrade oil, it has a high zinc content. A little more expensive but really how many times are you changing your oil in a year? I drive my car all the time and I still usually only do 2 oil changes a year, maybe 3 if I'm really getting after it.

PennGrade 1 71500 PennGrade 1 Synthetic Blend High Performance Motor Oil | Summit Racing

Usually I just order a case at a time and that takes care of the year. Plus it's not like you typically need to do an "emergency" oil change, if it takes a few days to show up after I order it that's fine.

I stopped running VR1 when they changed the formula years back, they lowered the zinc content in that one. Not sure if they've changed it back or not but since most oils on the shelf are for cars with roller cams I run the stuff still formulated for flat tapped cams even if it is more expensive.

-
Back