"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
Here's the intro to my "No Budget" 1966 Valiant straight axle Gasser Street/Strip build... Ever since I knew what a hot-rod was I've always wanted a straight axle gasser.. So it's now or never... Y'all have gave me a lot of motivation since I found my valiant and joined FABO... This build isn't gonna be your normal "call the parts warehouse" build, we'll be building this one the ole' school way, scrounging scrap yards, making most of the parts and a whole lot of good used parts. It'll take awhile to build so be patient... Here's what we're starting with, some grand-paws 66-valiant with 84,000 miles on the body...

!Bu475hQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKiEEvMRIJbYeBMCQhV,45Q~~_12.JPG

!Bu471Z!B2k~$(KGrHqQOKjQEvVuUlg+7BMCQh!Pz3Q~~_12.JPG

!Bu472L!CWk~$(KGrHqQOKiwEvN8uZBLlBMCQhEYDEw~~_12.JPG

!Bu473ywEGk~$(KGrHqQOKnUEvyFrmU+(BMCQhNR-Rw~~_12.JPG

!Bu48DrwEGk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEvP!U!IcrBMCQiErBEg~~_12.JPG

!Bu48B2!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEvN3,ifYYBMCQh70JWQ~~_12.JPG

Here's our engine, a 383 with a 727 out of a 70's hippy bus.... I told y'all we were gonna rough it...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

To Cool:cheers::cheers:
That 66 sure does looks good greenhornet =P~ all the trim and bumpers to a solid body, wow, look at the inside of that engine =P~=P~ nice and clean.
I have got to say that 66 sure looks great, let's do an alter and
move the rear forward about 5'' =P~ :cheers:
Is the 66 a driver now ? I will be keeping an eye on this cool build
here is Victoria in my mind :-D

art work 66 Valiant 021.jpg

To Cool:cheers::cheers:
That 66 sure does looks good greenhornet =P~ all the trim and bumpers to a solid body, wow, look at the inside of that engine =P~=P~ nice and clean.
I have got to say that 66 sure looks great, let's do an alter and
move the rear forward about 5'' =P~ :cheers:
Is the 66 a driver now ? I will be keeping an eye on this cool build
here is Victoria in my mind :-D

Thanks memike, I dig your cherry 66-valiant!!!
I thought about moving the rear wheels forward for a full altered, it just didn't look right, I guess because of the shape of the quarter panels, 66- darts look awesome altered...

Awesome ride, good luck with the build, but I want the bus!

That bus used to look pretty cool, baby blue with clouds, LOVE and pot leafs painted all over it, cops kept giving them a hassle so thay painted it brown...

That's a shame. It would have made a great house / tow car / race car all in one.

Did you happen to see this? I've never wanted a car that was this far along and imagine you wouldn't either. Building them is the fun part.

That's a shame. It would have made a great house / tow car / race car all in one.

Did you happen to see this? I've never wanted a car that was this far along and imagine you wouldn't either. Building them is the fun part.

I saw that, he's a member on the site, I'll be using a narrowed A-100 dodge straight axle, my front wheels will be in the stock location and my rear end will be mounted on top of the leafs insead of under the leafs, mine wont sit up that high in the ***...

Welcome to the Early -A 66 club GreenHornet!That sure is a great starting point(body)Will you be doing a minitub and spring relo.?If I can help you in anyway?Just PM me,cause I just finished building my 410 66 Dart race car.I just didn,t go with the straight axel,but was this....close!LOLGood luck!
car pics 66 Dart 179.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 189.jpg
This pic was done by 65Vart
Racing the 66 Dart 016.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 179.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 189.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 016.jpg

Welcome to the Early -A 66 club GreenHornet!That sure is a great starting point(body)Will you be doing a minitub and spring relo.?If I can help you in anyway?Just PM me,cause I just finished building my 410 66 Dart race car.I just didn,t go with the straight axel,but was this....close!LOLGood luck!
View attachment 165400

Thanks pettyblu,
I've been keeping up with your progress.. First things on my list is floorpans, mini tub, spring re-location and removing the spare tire well... That'll keep me busy for awhile...

That's a cool pic... Are ya sure ya don't wanna join the straight axle club pettyblu??

Check this altered straight axle 66 gasser valiant out greenhornet
I just ran across it, Looks like they moved the engine back =P~ and altered the wheel base

I saw that, that's Bronxmopars, he's a member here.. Looks like he's done a lot of work on it. That would be a killer project for someone... I may do my steering box like his, that looks like a s-10 manual box...

Just got my little harbor freight mig welder, an early birthday present from my sister, total cost $0...

Now I need to dig through my parts building and dig out all my old ford and chevy parts and ebay them to get a little Mopar budget going, kinda like tradein parts for parts... I'm gonna sell some parts I don't need and buy some that I do... This is going to be our budget...

Today I need to focus on getting that 383 and tranny out and pratice a little with the mig, this mig will work just fine on our sheet metal welding, my buddy has a nice gas/mig I can use later on the serious welding, hopefully by that time I'll know how to weld ;)

GREAT PROJECT! Its like eating a elephant one bite at a time!Keeping an eye out for a paper box,It will look great!

GREAT PROJECT! Its like eating a elephant one bite at a time!Keeping an eye out for a paper box,It will look great!

Thanks man,
You got that right, one bite at a time, no blank checks here, we're gonna hafta use our head to build this one....

Awesome build. That bus looks like a GMC? Should be a great motor for your gasser.

Thanks plumber,
I think the bus is a '60 chevy, pretty sure the 383 is a '71.. I need to score that grille, cali rat-rod guys would love it with those quad head lights...

Thanks man,
You got that right, one bite at a time, no blank checks here, we're gonna hafta use our head to build this one....

I hear ya, no blank checks here :toothy10::-D
Let's figure out what you are going to be removing for that gasser build.
and get a jar filled up to help with cost of building the 383.
are you going to keep the mirrors on the Valiant ? if not heck start a thread with parts for sale and offset some cost's, I see some nice parts that needs to stay on the car, Just thinking out loud and don't know how far you are going to take that nice 66 apart.
I started to pm this to you but I thought more folks would like to know. :happy10:

I hear ya, no blank checks here :toothy10::-D
Let's figure out what you are going to be removing for that gasser build.
and get a jar filled up to help with cost of building the 383.
are you going to keep the mirrors on the Valiant ? if not heck start a thread with parts for sale and offset some cost's, I see some nice parts that needs to stay on the car, Just thinking out loud and don't know how far you are going to take that nice 66 apart.
I started to pm this to you but I thought more folks would like to know. :happy10:

Gonna leave the body and interior pretty much stock looking, was wanting to keep the rear seat but that ain't gonna happen, I'll have to roll bar it, I am gonna keep the front bench tho... Another reason I didn't wanna alter the rear was those quarters are pretty sweet.. I'll get her blocked up this week and we'll see what all is coming off, gas tank is for sure gonna start looking for a 16-gallon or so fuel cell.. The hood that's on it will be the one we cut for the tunnel ram, I have another perfect '66 hood I can put up for sale or trade, figure just run a hood on the street and no hood at the track... I met a cool seller on ebay he hooked me up with a new 383 dynagear double roller timing chain for $20 shipped.. I didn't sleep at all last night, this project has got me pumped...

-
Back