"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
YEP!! and I have a 66 Valiant to get the measurements from outside rail on both sides if I can talk a friend into cutting one out possibly gifting me with it on his spare time :happy10:
I will talk to some folks at George Rays and take some pictures of there front motor plate I may be able to have one cut out buy a aluminum tec that is on my APA league "I shoot pool two nights a week". and you can make your height location taps and drill your own holes. Looks like 1/2'' aluminum to me, But I will look at the 65 Valiant you see in my pictures where I am parked by all the MoPar's in this thread he has a 413 and make sure of the thickness. does that sound right, who know's I might find one ready to go, as you can see we still have allot of the MoPar spirit going on in my area and being close to a race track that has been open for 50 years there may be one setting and ready for the picking :-D

I don't wanna get to far ahead of myself, but heres what I'm thinking for the wheels, I have 2-15x8 cragars ss's already for the rear, here's the front runners I'm leaning tword rite now, 15x4.5..... I may have to sell a kidney on the blackmarket to get these ;)

RPM-R43-546522.jpg

Remember to keep me updated on your front bolt pattern 8) who knows what I might run across :-D

YEP!! and I have a 66 Valiant to get the measurements from outside rail on both sides if I can talk a friend into cutting one out possibly gifting me with it on his spare time :happy10:

I think 3/8 thick would probably work... I know aluminum plate is kinda pricey.. I have no idea where to find any around here to make one out of..

Hey, don't get me wrong, Your bus and your Valiant, sure is a nice little car to mod, jus' sayin', good luck with the build!

Hey, don't get me wrong, Your bus and your Valiant, sure is a nice little car to mod, jus' sayin', good luck with the build!

Yeah, I thought through all the options with the little car, It always comes back to straight axle gasser, that's what I'm going to be the happiest with and after it's done I know I wont have any regrets...

We do!! The team mate on our pool league has more stock then you could imagine
We have two big companies here that make aluminum tractor trailer rigs called Peerless and a company that my team mate works at that custom builds things for around the world. I have seen stages to turbine made there. I am on it.

We do!! The team mate on our pool league has more stock then you could imagine
We have two big companies here that make aluminum tractor trailer rigs called Peerless and a company that my team mate works at that custom builds things for around the world. I have seen stages to turbine made there. I am on it.

Damn you're lucky, all we have around here are christmas trees, logs and rocks... If I could find a piece long and tall enough and 3/8 thick I could fab the rest of it (water pump holes and oil filter cut out)...

Hey, "jus Sayin' " sweet car ya started with, but then again, it's your car, your money, I always said, "don't knock what I'm doing unless ya wanna pay the bills!" git ur' done and have fun, look forward to seeing it.

It took me a year and a half of waiting, working at a scrap yard before my A-100 axle finally came in, I had 2 of the hemi dart/cuda type bucket seats and my moronic cousin hauled them off out of his garage... :angry7:

Hey memike, this is the track I'll be running at.. I was at this race...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwEtkQsb_Ss&feature=related"]YouTube- ShadySide 10.5s ShootOut[/ame]

Damn bro, we're almost neighbors.. Do you ever go to north wilksboro drag strip??

Is that the guy that has old cars sitting on his property in a row right across from the dragstrip. It might be another dragstrip. Just wondering if he is still around.

Great project. It's stuff like this that makes hot roddin what it is. Now, shut up gabbin and git to work.

An A body gasser? Can't wait to see it! Here's a couple of clips of one prepared earlier over here in Oz (I think using an Oz Valiant hardtop as donor car, with Dart front clip).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37sTygOnXLs&feature=related"]YouTube- Dartattack smokin them up[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_bWwQ0asE&feature=related"]YouTube- gasser dodge dart DARTATTAK VTS 01 1[/ame]

I`ll be following you on this one buddy, as I have the same sickness, and sleep deprivation thinking about the damn build. lol. Hurry up so I can see how you solve the steering issue on these van axles. Gassers rule8)

if your looking for straight axel info,,,go to the biggest hot rod site on the internet,, it has 2 names if you search either im sure you will ge tthere H.A.M.B or the jalopy jurnal

whats that body ?? 194?

Are you going for a gasser or a street freak? I see them mixed up quite a bit these days. Either way I'm interested to see how it turns out, but I hope you go for the gasser. I wish my 64 was in as good a shape as your 66.

if your looking for straight axel info,,,go to the biggest hot rod site on the internet,, it has 2 names if you search either im sure you will ge tthere H.A.M.B or the jalopy jurnal

whats that body ?? 194?
Yes, I lurked over there for awhile searching their forums and signed up a few weeks ago. They list you as a FNG and treat you like a pos FNG. Ive asked these questions over there with 0, response. Most of those guys write speedway a big check. Don`t know how to be accepted in their "click", so I guess I`ll have to learn the hard way, =$$$. The body is a 52 Wayfarer business coupe, don`t know the # designation. Don`t wanna hijack Greenhornets thread but we`re both gonna have to figure this out.

Yes, I lurked over there for awhile searching their forums and signed up a few weeks ago. They list you as a FNG and treat you like a pos FNG. Ive asked these questions over there with 0, response. Most of those guys write speedway a big check. Don`t know how to be accepted in their "click", so I guess I`ll have to learn the hard way, =$$$. The body is a 52 Wayfarer business coupe, don`t know the # designation. Don`t wanna hijack Greenhornets thread but we`re both gonna have to figure this out.

I asked a few questions at H.A.M.B, didn't get any replys, so I said screw em'.. Since I'm ditching my K-frame I think I'm going to do like Bronxmopars did on his 66, use a GM saginaw box then extend the pitman arm after everything is mounted, these manual boxes can be found on 1982-93 S-10 and blazers for about $30.00 if you look hard enough.. I'm a long ways off from the front end mock up, but the box is a good investment even if you didn't use it you can sale it on ebay to the GM G-body and F-body guys for $60 or $70.00 ( I always think ahead )... Here's the one on Bronxmopars..

!ByUhu(g!2k~$(KGrHqF,!iEEw5OFLFY4BMRMrBeKgQ~~_3.JPG

Are you going for a gasser or a street freak? I see them mixed up quite a bit these days. Either way I'm interested to see how it turns out, but I hope you go for the gasser. I wish my 64 was in as good a shape as your 66.

It's gonna be a GASSER...
A streetable gasser, here in NC it will never have to be D.O.T inspected again because of it's age so the sky is the limit as long as it has an exhaust system and lights....

Is that the guy that has old cars sitting on his property in a row right across from the dragstrip. It might be another dragstrip. Just wondering if he is still around.

Not sure skokz, I haven't been to north wilksboro dragstrip in awhile, you might be thinking of shadyside, Ronnie the owner has a bunch of old cars setting around...

An A body gasser? Can't wait to see it! Here's a couple of clips of one prepared earlier over here in Oz (I think using an Oz Valiant hardtop as donor car, with Dart front clip).

Cool videos sydcuda, thanks for posting those...

I asked a few questions at H.A.M.B, didn't get any replys, so I said screw em'.. Since I'm ditching my K-frame I think I'm going to do like Bronxmopars did on his 66, use a GM saginaw box then extend the pitman arm after everything is mounted, these manual boxes can be found on 1982-93 S-10 and blazers for about $30.00 if you look hard enough.. I'm a long ways off from the front end mock up, but the box is a good investment even if you didn't use it you can sale it on ebay to the GM G-body and F-body guys for $60 or $70.00 ( I always think ahead )... Here's the one on Bronxmopars..

!ByUhu(g!2k~$(KGrHqF,!iEEw5OFLFY4BMRMrBeKgQ~~_3.JPG
Yeah, but it looks to me he does`nt have any linkage hooked up, plus I dont see a drag link. Maybe it`s just out of view. Cross steer seems to be the way to go, to rid the dreaded bumpsteer. I found a few sites showing guys welding to factory steering arms, cutting and welding pitman arms, etc.etc. My ride`s gonna be a street poser and this stuff worries me. Strip only car, you could probably get away with that, if something broke, the public would be out of harms way. You see some of these street freaks sprung way up there with a friggen serious offset drag link, just seems like it would flex too much to keep any alignment correct. I`m gonna search the yards and hopefully find a a-100 steering box, "fat chance" and just use column shaft extensions and no more than 2 U joints? Bad bumpsteer could throw you into oncomeing traffic:shock: Or maybe I`m just over-reacting? Anyhow modifying factory steering geometry could be serious trouble. Where`s all the old farts that done this back in the day? Come on you gotta be out there!! Well I`m hitten the junk yard, nothins getting acomplished settin here peckin on this damn keypad:-D

Yeah, but it looks to me he does`nt have any linkage hooked up, plus I dont see a drag link. Maybe it`s just out of view. Cross steer seems to be the way to go, to rid the dreaded bumpsteer.

There's a dart altered build somewhere on the site here, he used the A-100 axle, I checked his build out, can't remember exactly how I found it, you might search dart altered, I think he was talking about the same bumpsteer problem that you are, if you can find it, it might answer your questions and concerns....

UPDATE:

"It's freakin' hot out there"
Just a weather report....

I got the gas tank off and cut out the spare tire well...
Gas tank looks good and the spare tire well is rust free, will probably put these up for sale or trade later to help fund the build... When the sun goes down I gonna cut the trunk floor metal I need out of the roof of the falcon donor car...

"Break Time"

-
Back