Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

-
With a complete engine, I’d go no more than 2k.

Is there any significant difference between 5.7 donors from cars vs trucks? I've read passing comments about pulling from trucks but only know about one or two differences in the actual structure of them.

Is there any significant difference between 5.7 donors from cars vs trucks? I've read passing comments about pulling from trucks but only know about one or two differences in the actual structure of them.

What differences are there in the engines? I know intakes are different but the engine itself should be the same.

I believe trucks have more you can use fro a swap. Cable driven throttle sensor etc. other that that, now I'm as curious as you about this.

What differences are there in the engines? I know intakes are different but the engine itself should be the same.

I believe trucks have more you can use fro a swap. Cable driven throttle sensor etc. other that that, now I'm as curious as you about this.
Timing covers, accessory layout? I don't know of anything detrimental. Just trying to see if there's any reason I overlooked not to pull from a car.

Timing covers, accessory layout? I don't know of anything detrimental. Just trying to see if there's any reason I overlooked not to pull from a car.

Ah, Ok. for whatever reason I took it as things in the platform being different.. <facepalm>

With a complete engine, I’d go no more than 2k.

Ok, more info, sorry if this is too off topic.

I am going to look at a 6.1 this afternoon that spun the #6 rod bearing. I'm going to look at the crank journal for discoloration/damage and hopefully the rest of the unit as well. Seems it was in a Jeep that had the engine replaced so there is no harness, ecu, water pump exhaust manifolds etc. It's basically a top to bottom core at this point. The original intake is part of the package as well.

price is $1k obo, I'm already leaning towards obo, but opinions on this would be great.

Again, if it's too off topic, I'll go make a thread but I thought this might be pertinent for those just getting into this. (like me)

EDIT: i believe the the following are also missing. Injectors/rails, oil pan, throttle body, and whatever else they needed for the new motor.

I’d buy at 1k. Hell, you could get a stroker kit and not worry about the crank.

I’d buy at 1k. Hell, you could get a stroker kit and not worry about the crank.

That's a fair statement, but what about the other stuff?

This is the list of things I'd need to source I think at a minimum with "approximate" prices.

Injectors: 400
Crank: 500-1000
Fuel Rails: 150-200
Throttle body: 250 (same as 5.7)
Rods: 50-100 ea
Oil pain: 400
ECU: 300-400
Harness: ?? 100-1000
flex plate/flywheel: ??

I'm darn sure I'm off on this list, up or down across the board, but I don't to get upside down on it too quickly. If the crank is damaged and welding it is out of the question, then a stroker kit would be option 2.

There's also the "option" of stripping it of the electronics and going carburetor unless there are too many gotchas involved.

Last edited:
You can get used injectors (the rails 5.7 Hemi). I’d just go stroker right out the gate. It’ll save time/money in the long run, plus make more power.

This engine ya want, is it for a swap or going to replace another engine in a late model?

You can get used injectors (the rails 5.7 Hemi). I’d just go stroker right out the gate. It’ll save time/money in the long run, plus make more power.

This engine ya want, is it for a swap or going to replace another engine in a late model?

It will end up in my 70 Cuda vert

Doing some reading today, lots to learn...

Did all 6.1 motors come with the 5037* heads with the "D" exh ports? Is it worth swapping them for newer "eagle" heads?

Yup, they got really good heads. Also, the later 5.7 Eagle heads flow AWESOME!

I’ll be honest, this isn’t going to be cheap, doing this swap is gonna cost, you can save some here/there, but I’d be willing to bet 5k at the minimum.

I’ll be honest, this isn’t going to be cheap, doing this swap is gonna cost, you can save some here/there, but I’d be willing to bet 5k at the minimum.

My original plan was to build a 451 stroker out of an early 400 block. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other at this point. Car has not engine right now.

So are the eagle heads better? Since the 6.1 was out in 07/08? it seems they'd be prone to dropping seats. Unless of course that's where they made the initial improvements before the 5.7's got em.

Eagle heads came after the 6.1’s, basically it’s a 6.1 head with a tighter quench. I put a set of Eagle heads on a 6.1 for a forum member on FBBO, basically I built the engine cause it had misfire on #6, flat cam flat roller. This was after he bought it on eBay and I got it installed in a 67 Belvedere. Anyway, I ordered new lifters and a stock 6.1 cam and it came with the Eagle heads. I had those gone through at my machine shop and $500 later, they went on the 6.1. It does raise the compression about a point with stock 6.1 head gaskets. It got all new head bolts as well. The damn car ran like a scalded cat on a hot tin roof!

So if ya have the factory 6.1 heads, they will be fine, have a machine shop go through them, worth the money.

Well, after a kerfuffle at the bank atm (yay covid...), I went out to take a look. $600 and a handshake later, the engine was in the back of my truck. Has the intake, fuel rails, injectors, and rest of the bare basics. Stinking intake looks like I could climb inside. I did bust one of the coil pack bosses off by not paying good enough attention while strapping it down but I can live with that. Most likely get different ones anyway.

I haven't cracked it open yet but it rotates without clucking, grinding or scraping. We'll see..

honestly.you are better off buying a brand new 6.4 bge block than that 6.1 that needs rebuilt and tons of machine work. might as well get the bge heads. some 6.4 apachie if your not boosting it over 1200hp.

price is a little more up front but a much bettsr and stronger foundation down the road. stroker kit crom mmx like a 411in kit keeps squirters and thrust side wear down on the cylinders.

honestly.you are better off buying a brand new 6.4 bge block than that 6.1 that needs rebuilt and tons of machine work. might as well get the bge heads. some 6.4 apachie if your not boosting it over 1200hp.

price is a little more up front but a much bettsr and stronger foundation down the road. stroker kit crom mmx like a 411in kit keeps squirters and thrust side wear down on the cylinders.

This will go in a 70 cuda vert, not a race car. Thanks though.

Last edited:
At $600 you did fine. You could get that out of the stock intake manifiold if you decide not to follow through on it. Now I know there is never enough power but even stock at 425hp 425 tq is more than enough for a cruiser

At $600 you did fine. You could get that out of the stock intake manifiold if you decide not to follow through on it. Now I know there is never enough power but even stock at 425hp 425 tq is more than enough for a cruiser

Exactly my thoughts. The intake was the reason I have what I did. At any rate, the guy understood my position and just wanted to get rid of it, so I think I made out OK. I'll know more once I tear into it later this week.

Quick question about 6.1 hemi roller lifters. We took the heads off and pulled the lifter packs out last night. The rollers seem fine but the cup on a few doesn't seem to want to push in like I expect a hydraulic lifter to do. Some of them do, but a few seem locked. Am I interpreting the fact that this that don't plunge at all are bad/seized, correctly?

They are a hydraulic roller, so they should push down. Soak them for a few days and see if they loosen up.

They are a hydraulic roller, so they should push down. Soak them for a few days and see if they loosen up.

Kind of what I thought but someone I'd spoken to seemed to think otherwise. Didn't make sense to me.

The only engine I know for absolute certainty that uses hydraulic solids is Cummins, at least to 18 or 19.

-
Back