Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

-
You have to move wiper motor inside under dash and make firewall flush or recess it a bit.

You have to move wiper motor inside under dash and make firewall flush or recess it a bit.

Are you taking about using a stock wiper motor or something like Specialty wipers (cable driven)? At the moment my plan is to recess the entire firewall 2-3 inches and use the stock location after the move. The Gen3 392 head interferes with the master cylinder hydra boost so if I recess the firewall it tends to solve both problems (I think)

Mine is a 72 Swinger "special" and never had any trim. I actually added the trim to the roof rail. I am using a 2001 Neon wiper motor that is mounted under dash/cowl.

Attachments

• emil 2014 525.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,300
Wipers are overrated LOL...Mine is bare bones, the trans tunnel was modified on mine even though I'm using a 727. I also use a non power brake but it does have 4 wheel discs.

I am installing 5.7 hemi in my duster...tti motor mounts Charles oil pan and srt jeep exhaust manifolds just got it all test fitted today and got pictures but not able to post yet....manual steering plenty of clearance and perfect angle on outlet both sides...I do have pics of it in my members restoration pics under duster

One thing I ran into, and forgot about until the other day, my factory drum brake proportioning valve and the #7 TTI swap header interfered bad enough that I had to remount it about 4" rearward on the frame rail. Was installing new brake lines from Dr. Diff also and just had to re-bend them a little, but its very doable with engine still out of the car.

Hey 3rd Gen Hemi guys - can we start an official thread with links to common modifications, issues, builds, etc? Feel free to post pics, info, links to other sites and retailers - anything that you may feel is relevent to the 3rd Gen Hemi. Let's see some of your builds - what you did, how you did it, and from what places you got your info.

Maybe we can get this thread sticky-ed and use it as a reference.

I'm all for this! I'm using a Gen 3 392 with a 545RFE transmission. I decided to use a MOPAR shifter out of a Grand Cherokee which seems to be working out OK in the build, but what I am missing so far is the wiring hook up from the shifter to the transmission.The local dealers aren't much help and I can't find the wiring schematic anywhere. Anybody have any suggestions?

Here's a picture of the Hemi in the car with the new firewall. I had to offset the master cylinder 3 inches to clear the engine. I also will have to modify the TTI header so my steering is a straight shot to the rack as opposed to 3 joints to clear the header. I chose to use a Hydratech brake booster and I had to relocate the proportioning valve to clear the headers. The 6.4 engine is a bit bigger than the 5.7 so moving the firewall had to happen. Attached is a picture of the engine with the firewall in place

Here's a picture of the Hemi in the car with the new firewall. I had to offset the master cylinder 3 inches to clear the engine. I also will have to modify the TTI left header so my steering is a straight shot to the rack as opposed to 3 joints to clear the header. I chose to use a Hydratech brake booster and I had to relocate the proportioning valve to clear the headers. The 6.4 engine is a bit longer (the VVT module) than the 5.7 so moving the firewall had to happen. Attached is a picture of the engine with the firewall in place. I'd attach more photos etc. but I haven't quite figured out how to create a new post or attach photos.

I also had to open the holes in the interior steering column hold-down plate to move the column a little bit to get everything aligned and clear the head.

What do you mean? Which plate the one against the fire wall or the plate on the plate to the firewall? Lol

Hi Mike

It really comes down to trial and error fitting. It depends on the size and location of the nipples on the engine and rad. I then looked up a couple of hose company catalogs and went through them until I found some that looked close. Then I went to NAPA and ordered probably 8 or 9 different hoses for trial fitting. Finally found 2 that would work on my 6.1 setup with some trimming.
I ended up with NAPA 9128 upper and NAPA 7515 lower, but they may or not work for your setup.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 725
Heading to NAPA to order these up.

Thanks,

Riddler

Hope they work for you. It is a pain to try to find hoses that fit reasonably.
I also did some trimming in a couple of spots on the front cover so that the lower rad hose would not rub on the aluminum housing. Again, it will depend on what hose you select.

Attachments

• IMG_1690m.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_1695.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 689
I went off of an old article in a magazine. Don't remember which one though. I think they used a stock small block lower hose and the upper was from a new 300C or something like that. The lower hose was the right shape (though a bit long), but the diameter on the pump side was a little small. I stretched it with a tail pipe expander and it seems to still be working okay. The upper hose was a pretty close fit on its own, though I think a tad long again. Granted I'm using a truck front cover and old C body radiator (or so I've been told) with passenger side lower port and driver side upper. The car front covers have both ports on the passenger side I think?

Hope they work for you. It is a pain to try to find hoses that fit reasonably.
I also did some trimming in a couple of spots on the front cover so that the lower rad hose would not rub on the aluminum housing. Again, it will depend on what hose you select.

Jim,

Thanks for the part numbers. When I get the engine in the engine bay I will test fit starting with the part numbers you provided. Also thanks for the pictures of the surgery you did on the front of the engine O:)

Mike

I have a truck 5.7 in my 73 Duster with a stock style radiator from Autozone (B499).
I went through the Gates catalog I found online and ordered a number of hoses with the right size inlet and outlet that were close to the right length and had some bends that looked like they might fit. I ended up using Gates 21581 upper and 21256 lower. Both were trimmed some to fit.

I used a factory LX lower hose with a drivers side radiator outlet. Also you can slightly oval the holes in the steering box, if using a factory steering box, and move it slightly toward the frame rail to gain more steering shaft clearance.

-
Back