oil dipstick problem

-

cowest432

Reaction score
this close to firing up my 416 stroker and another problem,, I used a 1969 340 for my choice and can not get the 360 dip stick in,, I read that there was a changes in 340 blocks in 70? was the dipstick hole made larger in 70 ?,,, if so I need a 68-69 dipstick fast

I see dipsticks for 318-340-360 all over the place without any mention of year, so maybe there is a different problem.
Can you describe exactly what the chain of events are when you try putting it in?
Does that motor have a tray in it?

Or is it possible that the stick itself has to turn a corner in the tube that it's hanging up on?

sure the dipstick hole is to small for the 360 dipstick,, I looked hard at hole in the block and it seems to have a pressed in fitting,, doesn't seem like a old stick broken because the fitting is rolled in a nice round shape no sharp burrs

i received the MP chrome dipstick, not a chance of fitting my 86 318, just ground down dipstick carefully and got it to fit snugly, plus a little dab of right stuff for extra insurance. works fine!

What are the chances you could get a generic stick that fits the tube and just go on how much oil is in it?
Autozone carries generic sticks in their performance section. (chrome chevy stuff) :D
(at least till you can find the one you want)

I am using a kevco pan and going to use level finder on pan but need that dipstick hole closed,, am using a chrome dip stick and took a wire wheel to the chrome but it still wouldn't fit,, no oil no scrapper

this close to firing up my 416 stroker and another problem,, I used a 1969 340 for my choice and can not get the 360 dip stick in,, I read that there was a changes in 340 blocks in 70? was the dipstick hole made larger in 70 ?,,, if so I need a 68-69 dipstick fast

Nice thought though. :)

I looked hard at hole in the block and it seems to have a pressed in fitting,, doesn't seem like a old stick broken because the fitting is rolled in a nice round shape no sharp burrs

That pressed in "fitting" is the stub of a broken off dipstick.. Look at the bottom half of your new tube, and imagine it sawed off bove the bulge,, that should look like the piece remaining in the hole..

Lotsa threads on removing broken tubes, do a search, I prefer the lagbolt and slide hammer..

hope it helps

That pressed in "fitting" is the stub of a broken off dipstick.. Look at the bottom half of your new tube, and imagine it sawed off bove the bulge,, that should look like the piece remaining in the hole..

Lotsa threads on removing broken tubes, do a search, I prefer the lagbolt and slide hammer..

hope it helps

This is what I was thinking too....

hope it helps

OH HELL I missed that somehow.
Talk about not fully reading and understanding a post. :eek:ops:

Bet you guys are right on the money.

-
Back