Oil travels

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
What's the benefit of using an external sump pump set up, versus the internal sump with the pick up and a regular 7qt pan?
Thank you for letting me pick your brain.
Joe

On the street, I have had good success with a roadrace deep pan and a high-volume pump. I still run a windage tray, but with only 5.5ish quarts in the pan. I am at about 400hp, maybe a touch more.

the question is, is your motor worth the investment of $800 dollars????

You can get the engine/vehicle lower to the ground with little or no sump.

Jeffisold - you prob don't know about racecars, handling, or center of gravity.

Last edited:
On the street, I have had good success with a roadrace deep pan and a high-volume pump. I still run a windage tray, but with only 5.5ish quarts in the pan. I am at about 400hp, maybe a touch more.
What kind of pan are you running..Milodon , Hamburger and do you think a center sump pan would work on a barracuda?

What's the benefit of using an external sump pump set up, versus the internal sump with the pick up and a regular 7qt pan?
Thank you for letting me pick your brain.
Joe
Bad terminology, I`m wondering what ur talking about, external pick up line system, or dry sump set up !

External pick up line system
I`m running a single external line system w/ an old alum. funny car pan, why , because I always wanted one. Is it necessary on a street car , no . They do flow better , being larger and more direct.

I`m running a single external line system w/ an old alum. funny car pan, why , because I always wanted one. Is it necessary on a street car , no . They do flow better , being larger and more direct.
So better oiling and possibly better cooling because of less heat caused by the friction of moving parts?

That's what I was thinking, it's not like it's going to be a full blown drag car or street racer( maybe a little street racing) but that's a lot of extra money if the engine don't benefit from it .
no I'm not saying that the motor won't benefit from it because I don't know much about it but I can tell you for the street that's a colossal waste of money. I'm sure for the money you could put something on the car that would bring you a lot of enjoyment as opposed to something that may bring a little whip bit more oil to a situation that's already fine.

For half that money install an arm that comes out and scratches your nuts! I guarantee that will bring you much more enjoyment. Then in my book you'll have a car that literally has everything!

no I'm not saying that the motor won't benefit from it because I don't know much about it but I can tell you for the street that's a colossal waste of money. I'm sure for the money you could put something on the car that would bring you a lot of enjoyment as opposed to something that may bring a little whip bit more oil to a situation that's already fine.
So a rear sump 7 at. pan with a high volume pump would work?

I personally use the 8 quart milodon pan with a high volume pump and use 7 quarts of oil. Also I don't recommend this 8 quart milodon pan. it's fitment in the car was terrible I would probably go with a Moroso or something like that next time. Just having one of these pans with the extra quarts of oil keeps the oil cooler and allows a lot more volume to keep more contaminants out. By doing this you're already adding a lot.

-
Back