Oil travels

-
I personally use the 8 quart milodon pan with a high volume pump and use 7 quarts of oil. Also I don't recommend this 8 quart milodon pan. it's fitment in the car was terrible I would probably go with a Moroso or something like that next time. Just having one of these pans with the extra quarts of oil keeps the oil cooler and allows a lot more volume to keep more contaminants out. By doing this you're already adding a lot.
Cool, I was looking at buying a milodon or a Hamburger. They both have been around for years and the quality is good.

Cool, I was looking at buying a milodon or a Hamburger. They both have been around for years and the quality is good.
Yeah this milodon really gave me some trouble. First thing there pump needed to be clearanced in two different spots to make the pan fit on. Then I had to cut a chunk of my K frame to make it fit. And then once I got it in one of the factory welds leaked! When I called on it they said oh not another one here in California we can only test with water now and not solvents so this happens from time to time. Nothing like getting that chance to put your pan on right when the engine is new and there's no oil in it and it's upside down and all out in front of you and then it's another story to patch a brand new pan while it's in the car! Yes I would not buy another milodon oil pan again.

Yeah this milodon really gave me some trouble. First thing there pump needed to be clearanced in two different spots to make the pan fit on. Then I had to cut a chunk of my K frame to make it fit. And then once I got it in one of the factory welds leaked! When I called on it they said oh not another one here in California we can only test with water now and not solvents so this happens from time to time. Nothing like getting that chance to put your pan on right when the engine is new and there's no oil in it and it's upside down and all out in front of you and then it's another story to patch a brand new pan while it's in the car! Yes I would not buy another milodon oil pan again.
Milodon makes a good pan but I think a lot of people use it because of the name. Hamburger is not as popular but I've heard that name for a long time around drag racers. I am thinking about using their valve covers also because of the reviews I've read.

Milodon makes a good pan but I think a lot of people use it because of the name. Hamburger is not as popular but I've heard that name for a long time around drag racers. I am thinking about using their valve covers also because of the reviews I've read.
if your car is your hubby like mine a lot of times you buy different things for it and change them and then sell some and keep some that you like. Valve covers are definitely something you do for your taste and obviously for an intended purpose. It's almost as if you don't want to get everything right the first time. Especially when it comes to dress up things. It's nice to change things from year to year so you're not literally driving the same identical car for 13 years.
Myself I like to put all that stuff that we talked about when we were younger on my car. I did a lot of that and now I'm kind of doing stuff that's making me comfortable. But a lot of my friends will call and say "what's the car all about this year?"
BUT The oil pan you would really like to get done right the first time! LOL

if your car is your hubby like mine a lot of times you buy different things for it and change them and then sell some and keep some that you like. Valve covers are definitely something you do for your taste and obviously for an intended purpose. It's almost as if you don't want to get everything right the first time. Especially when it comes to dress up things. It's nice to change things from year to year so you're not literally driving the same identical car for 13 years.
Myself I like to put all that stuff that we talked about when we were younger on my car. I did a lot of that and now I'm kind of doing stuff that's making me comfortable. But a lot of my friends will call and say "what's the car all about this year?"
BUT The oil pan you would really like to get done right the first time! LOL
Yeah, I know what you me..it would be a huge hassle to have to mess with the oil pan after the engine is dropped in.

I used to pull my 367 4speed out every September long-weekend for tear down and inspection. And installed a 318, with some other trans and rear gear. Then on May-long, I'd swap the 367 back in..... with a 4 gear, and with a different chunk again. Every year, 5 in a row. The last time I was 52, so ...........IDK. I am stronger today.......if a lil less flexible.lol
After the K is clearanced, I didn't think the Milodon was that hard to take out ; additionally,mine's been out 5 times. Install a skidplate, you'll probably need it...................
I just thought that was what HotRodding was all about.

I used to pull my 367 4speed out every September long-weekend for tear down and inspection. And installed a 318, with some other trans and rear gear. Then on May-long, I'd swap the 367 back in..... with a 4 gear, and with a different chunk again. Every year, 5 in a row. The last time I was 52, so ...........IDK. I am stronger today.......if a lil less flexible.lol
After the K is clearanced, I didn't think the Milodon was that hard to take out ; additionally,mine's been out 5 times. Install a skidplate, you'll probably need it...................
I just thought that was what HotRodding was all about.
I found a new milodon center sump external line pan for 200.00 but I don't want to have to pay 800.00 for the external system. I was told that I could block the hole, but I don't think I would want to do that.

I found a new milodon center sump external line pan for 200.00 but I don't want to have to pay 800.00 for the external system. I was told that I could block the hole, but I don't think I would want to do that.
I guess I missed it some where but are you talking small block or big block.

In an abody with a factory k member and steering linkage you can not use a rear sump pan.

What do you mean by stationary single external line?

A non swing pick up with a single external line. If it's a big block run a single external line.

Again, you can't get the inlet side of the pump too big. That's one benefit of the external line. All the work guys do on the outlet side of the pump does very little in the real world, but anything you can do to the inlet side of the pump is a big deal.

Of course, you don't get all the feel good about doing work feelings from making the suction side of the pump better like you do when you do all the work on the pressure side.

But I've never been big on feelings. My wife will attest to that.

What do you mean by stationary single external line?
Stationary as in the oil pickup. You can use a stationary one or a swinging pickup.
Single external line or dual external line feeds the oil pump instead of an internal pickup.
Another thing you can do internally is drill out the hole in the block and tap it for the 1/2 inch hemi pickup.

For half that money install an arm that comes out and scratches your nuts!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That depends on what she looks like ! LOL
not so very much on the lesser friction thing.
I only have about $100 in my single line system , not counting the oil pump.
7 qt. alum. pan , rear sump, exactly like the 7 qt rear sump pan offered by mylodon, except aluminum.

Last edited:
I guess I missed it some where but are you talking small block or big block.

In an abody with a factory k member and steering linkage you can not use a rear sump pan.
--------read , aftermarket K member .

The only reason to use the external single or dual pickups is the engine needs more oil at high rpm due to clearances. Because the issue with delivery in big Mopars is the suction side. The passage is ok in terms of diameter, but the oil path to the pump includes a 120* or so turn just after the pickup tube boss. So do you need it - depends. Depends on the clearances, and depends on the usage. $800 is a waste if you're not revving or have factory or close to factory clearances. Modern oiling theory says the right amount of oil, where it needs to be, with highly accurate machining rather than more and more and more everywhere with huge clearances. But as some point, those clearances are required. So they'll need it.

--------read , aftermarket K member .
Is that on here, I'll see if I can find it
Thank you
The only reason to use the external single or dual pickups is the engine needs more oil at high rpm due to clearances. Because the issue with delivery in big Mopars is the suction side. The passage is ok in terms of diameter, but the oil path to the pump includes a 120* or so turn just after the pickup tube boss. So do you need it - depends. Depends on the clearances, and depends on the usage. $800 is a waste if you're not revving or have factory or close to factory clearances. Modern oiling theory says the right amount of oil, where it needs to be, with highly accurate machining rather than more and more and more everywhere with huge clearances. But as some point, those clearances are required. So they'll need it.
Sounds like I need to do some research and learning. Thank you

Read it Bob, I was actually thinking about using a QA1 set up . Maybe that would help with the pan question.

There is an easy k member mod. that will give pan clearance for any pan, but u still have the tie rod to deal with. I have the orig. k frame out of my 68 fastback, I`m going to do the mod. to one of these days when I get bored,(most likely in the winter!)

-
Back