Ok, over this! Number guru's provide documentation to correct this rant..

-

va58

Restoration Jedi
Reaction score
OK, see this so much lately and wonder if something has changed in the last several years while I raised a family and was less active in the hobby. to my knowledge Chrysler Corp. kept records about cars they built such as my first car restoration I did in 1986.1966 Dodge Coronet 500 Conv. 99 auto produced and off the top of my head 186 4 speed built. Chrysler did keep percentage
records on paint colors but to my knowladge there is no records of how many red 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 conv. were built that were red, blue or any other color. This is the quote I keep seeing in adds for cars for sale. Not picking on the person, just the perfect example of what I am talking about.

Plymouth made 2,994 Formula S Barracudas in 1965. Plymouth made 117 with factory disc brakes, NOT dealer installed. This has factory disc brakes. Plymouth made 294 with a canopy vinyl roof and this is the Original Vinyl from 1965

Where is this type of info coming from?
Is it like this... My restoration project is a 1972 Plymouth Duster 340.
Fender tag and built sheet verify these built codes.
Black paint, four speed, with white interior.
Ok, Looking at the chart below you can see how many by (Percent) were painted black.
1.6% were painted black in 72. Just doing rounding off math, 15,000 340 cars were built. lets say less than 200 were painted black. Without having the breakdown of 4 speed and autos built, you can be very close by cutting that number in half. Around 100 four speeds built. Mine has white interior. Have yet to see another one. most of the 72's that have come to light have black interior. Know there must be some out there but have not found them. So, lets be conservative and say around 50 built.
That is the best I can do. I can't break it down any more and these figures are approx. unless someone can provide documentation to show otherwise there is no way to know how many were built with interior decor package or had an auto with a console, or rallyes,etc.... is "guessamation" becoming facts in some people's minds?

All I ask is that any posts on this forum to say this information exists, please provide factory documentation to counter this so everyone can be educated...

Attachments

• 73_Plymouth_advance_Info0012.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 381
Well, I don't know exactly where the poster of that ad got his info, but it is a very late build (7-7-65). Things were a little different in the 60's with Mopar, with far less ducumentation available, but maybe through factory doc's you could find out this info. I know the high dollar late 60's and 70's cars are much more documented and it's relatively easy to discern how many of what each had, especailly when there are only a few examples built.
Given enough time, you can probably document just about everything these days, but without proof, it's just a story!! Geof

I saw that same ad and wondered "where the heck did he get these figures?" He seemed so cocksure about it. And I don't know what he was blathering about "dealer installed disk brakes" -- that's just silly. They were always factory installed (would require changing spindles, MC, junction block, as well as the hub, disk, hoses and calipers).

I believe you are correct -- at least up though the 1967 model year, there are no comprehensive breakdowns, only totals. You can find out how many 4 speeds were sold, and how many convertibles, but not how many 4 speed convertibles, for example. See this page:

http://www.440magnum-network.com/info/tech/1967barracudatotals.shtml

depending on how large a sample you have the closer you can get. But it is playing the %'s and not likely fact.

I saw that same ad and wondered "where the heck did he get these figures?" He seemed so cocksure about it. And I don't know what he was blathering about "dealer installed disk brakes" -- that's just silly. They were always factory installed (would require changing spindles, MC, junction block, as well as the hub, disk, hoses and calipers).

I believe you are correct -- at least up though the 1967 model year, there are no comprehensive breakdowns, only totals. You can find out how many 4 speeds were sold, and how many convertibles, but not how many 4 speed convertibles, for example. See this page:

I know there were lists for 1965 Darts w/slant 6 or v8 with all different kind of option and also all the packages that were availible! You could see how many cars and the percentage made!

Wow, until tonight I had never seen any info like the page you posted. Very cool info. A "thanks" headed your way...:cheers:
C

Well, I don't know exactly where the poster of that ad got his info, but it is a very late build (7-7-65). Things were a little different in the 60's with Mopar, with far less ducumentation available, but maybe through factory doc's you could find out this info. I know the high dollar late 60's and 70's cars are much more documented and it's relatively easy to discern how many of what each had, especailly when there are only a few examples built.
Given enough time, you can probably document just about everything these days, but without proof, it's just a story!! Geof
Lots of truth in this post. Very low production big dollar cars you may be able to figure out, but not car runs in the thousands..

well this is partially true Chrysler Historical Society has breakdown of many models that
Will show hardtop, conv., etc with engine trans combinations. the point to this whole post is no where is there information to my knowledge that breaks down cars with certain
options. for example 4 speed convertible with a console or red paint.
Chrysler didn't keep those kind of records where is this information coming from that's all I'm saying

It comes from right here. *Dealer-Installed.

just to be clear this is not what I'm talking about I am talking about the number of how many were built with that option where did that figure come from?
Chrysler did not keep those kind of production records.

The chart you have includes the total of Valiants and all Dusters not just 340's. You would need that total number then find the % of black.

The chart you have includes the total of Valiants and all Dusters not just 340's. You would need that total number then find the % of black.
You are correct. Thats is why the guessamation is just that, a guess..

"snip"
This information is provided "as is" and is for information purposes only. This information was obtained from the www, Books and other Reference Materials.

from the disclaimer, all of the supporting sources could be the same with regurgitated information. So, I wouldn't bank on it without knowing the original source(s) and how they obtained their information. That is what research is and I have done a lot in my days and not just cars. This is how incorrect information gets around.
I assume it is from a database using percentages by looking at the numbers but is likely based off of reported information and its true accuracy can not be confirmed as fact.. I take the N/A to mean there is not enough gathered information to determine with any certainty? I do find it interesting though, but again, guessing with no source.

well this is partially true Chrysler Historical Society has breakdown of many models that
Will show hardtop, conv., etc with engine trans combinations. the point to this whole post is no where is there information to my knowledge that breaks down cars with certain
options. for example 4 speed convertible with a console or red paint.
Chrysler didn't keep those kind of records where is this information coming from that's all I'm saying

Even in more recent days the records don't seem to be there. I had a 2000 regular cab Dakota R/T in Solar Yellow. The yellow was a carryover from 1999 and from what I understood there were only 5 regular cabs made in that color in 2000. Even the page above couldn't get the numbers. http://www.440magnum-network.com/info/trucks/dakotart/2000dodgedakotart.shtml

I just saw this old post from somebody on the dakota RT board:

"2000 Solar Yellow (SY) numbers solved -- sorta...

Well yes, I got in touch with William at D-C again. And I have news regarding our infamous and elusive 2000 solar yellow numbers. Turns out:

95 Dakota R/T Solar Yellow Club Cabs were produced in 2000. Taking our new total of club cabs up a little bit (updated in first post w/ numbers).

UNFORTUNATELY, William, as hard as he tried, could not locate numbers for the elusive 2000 SY reg cab Dakota R/T. They didn't even have combined production numbers for the year. William was kinda puzzled by this, but, from what us enthusiasts know about the whole SY 2000 mystery, I'm willing to bet not even 35 - 45 reg cab made it off the line. That's just using simple statistics though. The 2000 trend seemed to follow 1 regular cab for every 3 club cabs. Maybe one day we'll stumble across this information, but until then -- we'll just have to go with what we have and leave the 2000 Regular Cab numbers incomplete for now..."

so still never a certain number even with modern computer data keeping.

I just read this. wouldn't it be ironic if they sold more of a paint that wasn't avail that year than one that was? 46 red reg cabs vs 75 yellow cab ukn? lol

Interesting data and one would think in the computer age it would be more exacting than it is.... Hell, they can accurately count how many sheets of paper are in a ream?

Even in more recent days the records don't seem to be there. I had a 2000 regular cab Dakota R/T in Solar Yellow. The yellow was a carryover from 1999 and from what I understood there were only 5 regular cabs made in that color in 2000. Even the page above couldn't get the numbers. http://www.440magnum-network.com/info/trucks/dakotart/2000dodgedakotart.shtml

I had actually ordered a amber fire regular cab in 2000 but the order got messed up and they wanted to change it to a 2001 model instead (for more money of course) So then in a town 2.5 hours away this used 2000 Yellow on showed up with about 10,000 miles on it so I cancelled the new order and took the used one. I traded it on a new for 2003 Hemi 1500 Ram which was a mistake. Nice truck but no where near as fun as the Dakota. When I sold the RT in Jan of 03 it still had less then 20K on it and I drove it every day to work (which is only 3 miles away).

-
Back