Old School 340 Build

-
We yanked it a bunch of times well up past 7000 rmp, it nosed over hard around 7100

We yanked it a bunch of times well up past 7000 rmp, it nosed over hard around 7100

You know. With a single plane and the RPM you're pulling. I'm wondering if an 850 carb or bigger wouldn't net you another 5-7 horse. Maybe even 10. Did you guys try any other carbs?

Sheet

IMG_0701.JPG

You know. With a single plane and the RPM you're pulling. I'm wondering if an 850 carb or bigger wouldn't net you another 5-7 horse. Maybe even 10. Did you guys try any other carbs?

I just tried the 750 AED I already had, it just need one bump in jet size on the primary.....I'm building another engine right away so there was no chance in hell that I was going to even think about a different carb.....Mike who put the engine together tried for 2 months to get me buy a real modern cam for it and I refused!

And easy on valve springs. Nice numbers and with cast heads. Those old school cams did work. Sure you can get more ponies with a new generation cam. This was a true budget build with old school parts. Nothing fancy!

I just tried the 750 AED I already had, it just need one bump in jet size on the primary.....I'm building another engine right away so there was no chance in hell that I was going to even think about a different carb.....Mike who put the engine together tried for 2 months to get me buy a real modern cam for it and I refused!
I'm thinking Mike did some good work with the heads, and knew a better cam would make more power, but it's certainly a stout build, even with the dated cam profile.

I like the 1lbs-ft/ci+ for almost the whole pull. Carrying those numbers to 6500 really helped the Hp numbers.

Last edited:

That torque start's good an early. She will be a real tire fryer.

Haha I don't blame yah. I was just curious. This engine likes to move. I gotta think a bigger carb would help that. Too bad you don't got a 1050 dominator laying around lol.

Still going at 6500.

That's what the 114 LSA did for you. Drop it back to 107-108 and it will top out at 6500 but put a butt load more under the curve.

Lustle, can you figure the opening and closing for that cam off the numbers posted?

Well Crane says:
Cam Timing: TAPPET @ .014
Lift: Opens Closes ADV Duration
Intake 37 BTDC 83 ABDC 300 °
Exhaust 90 BBDC 40 ATDC 310 °

But with that amount of torque and so low. And the other specs of this cam. I have a seriously hard time believing the IVC they list. Maybe a typo? Then again it is on a 114 LSA. I can't find the ICL listed anywhere. Need that to confirm IVC.

I'm thinking Mike did some good work with the heads, and knew a better cam would make more power, but it's certainly a stout build, even with the dated cam profile.

I like the 1lbs-ft/ci+ for almost the whole pull. Carrying those numbers to 6500 really helped the Hp numbers.

So what, you want me to ask for the flow numbers if he has them? I mean, the OP is claiming these numbers on a 2.02 valve and I can tell you that many here would argue that the valve is too small.

So OP, do you have some flow numbers....or valve job specs....or percentage of bowl....or whatever else you got.

So what, you want me to ask for the flow numbers if he has them? I mean, the OP is claiming these numbers on a 2.02 valve and I can tell you that many here would argue that the valve is too small.

So OP, do you have some flow numbers....or valve job specs....or percentage of bowl....or whatever else you got.
I'm just saying they have to be decent to carry the power that high. I have been north of 280 @ .600" on emissions heads with a 2.02" valve, so I know the possibilities when in the right hands. I'm thinking they had to be at least 240 cfm.

I'm just saying they have to be decent to carry the power that high. I have been north of 280 @ .600" on emissions heads with a 2.02" valve, so I know the possibilities when in the right hands. I'm thinking they had to be at least 240 cfm.

That's what I'm thinking. 240ish depending on the VJ.

That's what I'm thinking. 240ish depending on the VJ.

I guessed 420 based on thinking 240 cfm, which to me is "some porting". With 450+ horse I'd guess they are between 250-260cfm. Which is a little more than "some porting" in my books!

Either way, makes great power. There's a shop north of here that's charging over 10G for a 408 stroker that makes 10 horse less than your thrown together 340. So you're definitely doing something right!

The value job is 20 years old, Mike lapped them and installed new seals. He said the intakes are stock 340 Chrysler and the exhaust valves are some kind of after market.
The heads flowed 241@500 when I brought them to Mike, when the Dyno runs ended and I was a bit puzzled with the big numbers he admitted that he touched them up a bit more one night when he was bored!

The value job is 20 years old, Mike lapped them and installed new seals. He said the intakes are stock 340 Chrysler and the exhaust valves are some kind of after market.
The heads flowed 241@500 when I brought them to Mike, when the Dyno runs ended and I was a bit puzzled with the big numbers he admitted that he touched them up a bit more one night when he was bored!

Had a feeling!

I'm curious how well those total seal gapless rings worked for yah. I'm pulling my heads off this winter to give them a full port job. And stick a solid roller in. I've been thinking about maybe pulling the pistons and give the gapless rings a try. See if I pick up a couple extra PSI.

Had a feeling!

I'm curious how well those total seal gapless rings worked for yah. I'm pulling my heads off this winter to give them a full port job. And stick a solid roller in. I've been thinking about maybe pulling the pistons and give the gapless rings a try. See if I pick up a couple extra PSI.

Unless I'm running gas ports, I use gapless tops.

I've seen them reduce blowby by 8-10 CFM. That was on a 400 Chevy and they suck at ring seal. They are in my engine now.

Woooooops....wasn't supposed to let M.O. Know I had something.

I will ask Mike a few details next time we talk, I know he mentioned something about degree he installed the cam at. He was also very addement about the gapless rings and how he wanted the block honed, claimed it would be good for 20hp.
He said I left 25hp on table by keeping the old cam but for the money I have into it it runs good.....plus he gapped the rings for a small shot of NOS

Unless I'm running gas ports, I use gapless tops.

I've seen them reduce blowby by 8-10 CFM. That was on a 400 Chevy and they suck at ring seal. They are in my engine now.

Woooooops....wasn't supposed to let M.O. Know I had something.

Haha maybe I'll give them a shot. It would be interesting to see the difference.

I will ask Mike a few details next time we talk, I know he mentioned something about degree he installed the cam at. He was also very addement about the gapless rings and how he wanted the block honed, claimed it would be good for 20hp.
He said I left 25hp on table by keeping the old cam but for the money I have into it it runs good.....plus he gapped the rings for a small shot of NOS

I'd be interested what icl he came up with when degreeing the cam. I'm not at all surprised he thought a hone and rings would be good for 20 horse. Hughes did an excellent test of that. They didn't like the ring seat they got, pulled it apart re did the hone and put new rings on, they saw about that much. RAMM on here had the same results on that 416 he worked on. Had oil problems and he did a hone and re-ring and some other minor work. Cylinder pressure went from 180-195. Horse went 488 - almost 530 if I recall.

Just more proof that the devil is in the details.

I'll confess I was expecting something less impressive, but that ought to be more fun than a barrel full of monkeys if it drops in an A body with say about 3800 worth of stall and some 4.10-4.30 gears?

Idle was dirty... Mike said he was going to redo the distributor and would get it back when it gets in the car

-
Back