Open Chamber Heads vs Closed Chamber Heads....

Prefer Open Chamber or Closed Chamber for Racing

• Open Chamber

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Closed Chamber

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
-
Flow...............I only care about flow.
????...
Screenshot_20200902-192655.png

No reason to go further. Unless some guru dyno's both combinations and then runs both down the track, this thread will never come to an end!!!!

No reason to go further. Unless some guru dyno's both combinations and then runs both down the track, this thread will never come to an end!!!!
Post 50 last post on the last page this is just a hook...
Somewhere on a PM the OP has a side bet going on how many pages this will go..

What's the best spark plug? What's the best oil? Holley or Edelbrock? Automatic or stick shift? Open chamber head or closed chamber head?...

Somewhere on a PM the OP has a side bet going on how many pages this will go..[/QUOTE]
I can control that you know. Don't bet. You will get beat. LOL

Somewhere on a PM the OP has a side bet going on how many pages this will go..
I can control that you know. Don't bet. You will get beat. LOL[/QUOTE]
I can personally say that I've run open chamber and close chamber heads on 318's, and the open chamber heads have always ran harder on the upper RPM's, even though they gave up compression. I'm talk'n 302 heads vs the worst head in the late '70's.

I can personally say that I've run open chamber and close chamber heads on 318's, and the open chamber heads have always ran harder on the upper RPM's, even though they gave up compression. I'm talk'n 302 heads vs the worst head in the late '70's.
But was that because of the larger chambers or the larger ports?[/QUOTE]

Flow beats compression ratio when you have to compromise one or the other.

I’d rather have both, but sometimes you can’t.

What's the best spark plug? What's the best oil? Holley or Edelbrock? Automatic or stick shift? Open chamber head or closed chamber head?...

1. Autolite NA NGK nitrous
2. Penn Grade
3. Holley
4. Automatic
5. Closed Chamber

But that’s just my thinking.

But was that because of the larger chambers or the larger ports?

Flow beats compression ratio when you have to compromise one or the other.

I’d rather have both, but sometimes you can’t.[/QUOTE]
I want to be a internet supermodel and have the fastest stroker on the internet...
But sometimes you can't have both...:thumbsup:...
I've had both recently open chamber heads and closed chamber heads and dare I say I mix the last "hook" thread with this one and say this would need to be like toolmanmike said figured out on a dyno not the race track LOL there is a place for everything and I like the dyno as a comparison tool...
The reason I'm not taking this thread or the dyno versus racetrack thread with any seriousness is because it's just a "hook" to get people arguing and see how long it will last... again it's going to have as many opinions as correct spark plugs correct oil correct transmission and so forth....:realcrazy:...

One of those "there is no correct answer" threads.

Last edited:
One of those "there is no correct answer" threads.
True, this thread would have all and the guru's going back and forth. Just like the 500 hp 318 thread. I didn't create it for argument, I gave them a spot for it before the "low dollar 318 thread" turned 10 pages into what this thread is.....

True, this thread would have all and the guru's going back and forth. Just like the 500 hp 318 thread. I didn't create it for argument, I gave them a spot for it before the "low dollar 318 thread" turned 10 pages into what this thread is.....
Great discussions. Lot's of good info comes out of these threads.

Great discussions. Lot's of good info comes out of these threads.
I think if folks are respectful it can be a healthy discussion for sure..... I go by experience so I know on small blocks what my opinion is, but fun to read other perspectives as well

If you can build a 500HP 408, you can build a 500 HP 318. If you can’t do the latter, you can’t do the former.

That thread was a waste because the stroker crowd can’t get out of their own way.

If you can build a 500HP 408, you can build a 500 HP 318. If you can’t do the latter, you can’t do the former.

That thread was a waste because the stroker crowd can’t get out of their own way.
And here I'll sit by myself but that's ok, if compression is equal, I'll take the open chamber heads. Just not my experience either, I know of people that lost going to closed chamber heads on motors that spin 7400 rpm's. ET proven.

So you've build a 500 horsepower 318 which gives you room to talk....?...
Or just the eloquent way you write things makes it seem that way?..

Having a stroker or a non stroker has nothing to do with open chamber or closed chamber heads being better...
Just more fuel for argument...

Oh I'm just so innocent and I just thought this would be a good discussion....
"RASPBERRIES!".....

Really the thing is the variables are infinite... are both the heads made of the same material cast iron aluminum? Do both the heads have the same exact port shape? Do both of the heads have the same valve size the same gasket depth? Is it on a 318 is it on a stroker is it on a big block.... will these open chamber or closed chamber heads have different characteristics on these different size engines. Were they compared side-by-side on the same day on the same Dyno with the same air pressure?
Maybe someday when some magazine with an infinite budget can make this comparison for somebody on a certain engine it will have validity. Until then it's just an open discussion / argument....

If we didn't have emission regulations , a redesigned closed chamber would have evolved.
The open chamber / smog head would have never been. :D

-
Back