Opinions on exhaust

-
Pypes stainless street pro with exhaust are tame until you stomp your foot into it and they are priced right aswell. Here is a link if you are interested with 2 1/2" x pipe. Andrew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvIAJmV3RMg

Let me be the first to say that S.O.B. sounds brutal!!

If you guys haven't clicked on there and listen to that you really need too!

No sound bites, but I have TTI step headers, 3" X-pipe system and Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers ending at the rear axle. I like it much more than expected when I installed it over 2 years ago and have gotten lots of compliments from the open header racers. At idle I can hear my frame-mounted blue Holley pump, but it get pretty loud when I stomp on it. It flows pretty well because the 360 has gone 11.31 @ 115 weighing 3,540+ with unported 1.88" intake heads, .474" lift cam and 10.5 compression.

how the hell? what gears and converter?

Thanks! That's the better part of the summer of 2008 spent in a 10' x 20' garage with countless dollars, lots of frustration and one pissed off girlfriend. The pypes system works well, but it was not a direct bolt on like stated in their ad. I would buy what ever mufflers you like and have your pipes custom made for your application. For me it would have worked out very similar in price. Andrew

hey mullinax, ive seen that chart before, but i meant actual soundclips....i hear the pypes violator mufflers are just as loud as flowmaster super 40's and sound similar too, but flow better...oh the choices

Thanks! That's the better part of the summer of 2008 spent in a 10' x 20' garage with countless dollars, lots of frustration and one pissed off girlfriend. The pypes system works well, but it was not a direct bolt on like stated in their ad. I would buy what ever mufflers you like and have your pipes custom made for your application. For me it would have worked out very similar in price. Andrew

What exactly went wrong when trying to install them? I was thinking of getting the Race Pro 2.5" system for my '70 Duster. BTW when calling around it came to a little over $500 for a custom-made exhaust.

The kick over the rear end was way off and they did not line up at all with the TTI headers. I probably only used half of the system. The shop told me they could have built the same thing with less cuts for $300.00 CDN (I am not sure if that would have included the mufflers).

Pypes stainless street pro with exhaust are tame until you stomp your foot into it and they are priced right aswell. Here is a link if you are interested with 2 1/2" x pipe. Andrew

Great sound and beautiful car! What muffs are you running? Also, PM'd you with another question.

Well guys we got back half of the pipes off and it does sound a bit louder then before. I think i can live with the results for now. Im don't have turn downs for it at the moment. The interior even with the dynamat is a lot louder but i think the turn downs it will help a bit. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Bryce/Bob

Is this going to pass inspection in Commiefornia ?

It's quiet because of the X pipe ,an H or no crossover would make it louder , and you are correct , 3" on that engine is too big .

The kick over the rear end was way off and they did not line up at all with the TTI headers. I probably only used half of the system. The shop told me they could have built the same thing with less cuts for $300.00 CDN (I am not sure if that would have included the mufflers).

Maybe I'll have to keep looking for an exhaust shop then. I haven't found any small "mom and pop" shops yet.

Is this going to pass inspection in Commiefornia ?.

No yearly safety inspections here. Only thing you have to worry about is smog check every two years on vehicles that are subject to that.

Maybe I'll have to keep looking for an exhaust shop then. I haven't found any small "mom and pop" shops yet.

Man that's bad... we are covered with them. I have 4 in my home town..2 of them I will trust with my car's without doubt. It always depends on which one can get to it the quickest. One of them owns a bunch of Mopars and when you walk in his shop all you see is Mopar posters,memorabilia, etc... He drag races (or used to) Mopar I believe.

If there are any small shops they are at least a 45 minute drive away down in southern Colorado Springs. Judging by the condition of that neck of the woods, I wouldn't really want to take my car down there either. I could look in Denver (I'm sure there are tons there), but that would be an even bigger PITA.

Thank you, they are the Pypes street pro mufflers that came with the kit from Summit. Andrew

That's interesting. I believe the Street Pro muffs are kind of a hybrid chambered/super turbo design. I run the Race Pro's which is a straight perforated tube design like the Dynomax Ultra Flo. That would explain (in part) your aggressive sound - and I think I like it better! Pypes now advertises their Race Pro as their quietest - which they didn't do before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotion
No sound bites, but I have TTI step headers, 3" X-pipe system and Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers ending at the rear axle. I like it much more than expected when I installed it over 2 years ago and have gotten lots of compliments from the open header racers. At idle I can hear my frame-mounted blue Holley pump, but it get pretty loud when I stomp on it. It flows pretty well because the 360 has gone 11.31 @ 115 weighing 3,540+ with unported 1.88" intake heads, .474" lift cam and 10.5 compression.

how the hell? what gears and converter?

Sorry, missed the post. But I run 4.86 gears with 94" circumference x 9" wide Hoosier lightweight radials and a converter that flashes to around 5,200, depending on the weather. But it has taken me a long time to figure out the combo with my engine and trans builders, and I'm still tuning & tinkering. Its tongue is hanging out at the finish line.

What kind of tone do the Dynomax UltraFlo have compared to Flowmasters?

What does it mean "welded" UltraFlo compared to just Ultraflo?

not sure but I have the 2 chamber flows with 3in X pipe and its loud

Here it is again. This was a friendly "grudge race" I had with my brother. '65 Coronet 500, BB, with 3 chamber Flowmasters vs. '72 Demon SB, with 2 chamber Flowmasters. Both car's exhausts dump before the rear axle. The video is very blurry, but the sound is pretty good, so turn it up.

Mrpatel: I do like the sound of the mufflers on your car. Nice and "mean."

-
Back