Opinions on exhaust

-
Is this going to pass inspection in Commiefornia ?

No inspection in CA. Once its registered if you're pre-smog you're good to go, provided you keep your foot out of it when the police are around. I haven't had any problems so far.

I have Hooker Super Comps into 2.5" pipes with an X pipe and Summit 2.5" glasspacks (the 18" glasspack, total 24" length version) that dumps at the rear axle. Very nice. Not all that bad at idle, freaking roars at WOT. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I tried a set of flowmaster 40's on it too, way to tinny sounding, and not as loud as the glasspacks are. Not sure what the obsession is with Flowmasters, I really don't like them. I had the shorter version of the Summit glasspacks originally, they're a little too loud (12" glasspack, 18" overall length). The longer glasspack makes the exhaust note a bit deeper. You'd think I had a big block instead of a stock 318. :D

No inspection in CA. Once its registered if you're pre-smog you're good to go, provided you keep your foot out of it when the police are around. I haven't had any problems so far.

I have Hooker Super Comps into 2.5" pipes with an X pipe and Summit 2.5" glasspacks (the 18" glasspack, total 24" length version) that dumps at the rear axle. Very nice. Not all that bad at idle, freaking roars at WOT. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I tried a set of flowmaster 40's on it too, way to tinny sounding, and not as loud as the glasspacks are. Not sure what the obsession is with Flowmasters, I really don't like them. I had the shorter version of the Summit glasspacks originally, they're a little too loud (12" glasspack, 18" overall length). The longer glasspack makes the exhaust note a bit deeper. You'd think I had a big block instead of a stock 318. :D

awesome! makes me wanna consider glasspaks again lol...unfortunatly that great muffler flow chart we have on here didnt test glasspaks, so im not too sure how well they would flow

Thanks, here are a few more details of the motor, we bought the short block from Muscle Motors. Andrew

400 Block
Comp Cam custom grind solid roller .631 lift in & exh, duration at .020 286 / 292 @.050 250 / 256 110 LSA installed at 105. Valve timing @.050 Int 19 BTDC 51 ABDC EXH 62 BBDC 14 ATDC. (spings installed to match 210 seat pressure with 10 degree locks)
Forged pistons 10.55 to 1 with 84cc eddy heads & .040" gasket
RPM intake
850 DP
-15cc dish piston. size 4.375
4.25 stroke with H beam rods
Zero deck
Crane roller rocker 1.5 ratio with 1 thread showing
High volume oild pump and 7 qt Milodon Pan.

you want loud and obnoxious? Then you want a pair of good old fashioned glasspacks. Cherry bombs or purple hornies....they just get louder with time. just make sure you have a loud radio!

I prefer glass packs or those Dynomax "straight-thru" type of mufflers, kind of like just resonators, then dumped near the rear axle, and then even add some chrome flare tips at the ends. I love the resonance, the hum, and the amplification of the exhaust sound from under the car. I've got Hemi mufflers dumped under my 'vert and it sounds pretty good (I've got a nice cam) but just a tad too quiet. I've got Flowmasters on my notchback, but I don't like their sound at all......it IS too tinny.

I prefer glass packs or those Dynomax "straight-thru" type of mufflers, kind of like just resonators, then dumped near the rear axle, and then even add some chrome flare tips at the ends. I love the resonance, the hum, and the amplification of the exhaust sound from under the car. I've got Hemi mufflers dumped under my 'vert and it sounds pretty good (I've got a nice cam) but just a tad too quiet. I've got Flowmasters on my notchback, but I don't like their sound at all......it IS too tinny.

I'm seriously thinking about getting some Dynomax ultra "welded" mufflers in place of the Flowmasters. I want something with a deep tone sound. I had some Dynomax Super Turbos on my big block Charger I had and it sounded good. I'm still undecided.

This is pretty neat. It has all the different types of mufflers Dynomax makes and what they sound like.

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds/flash/sounds.html

you want loud and obnoxious? Then you want a pair of good old fashioned glasspacks. Cherry bombs or purple hornies....they just get louder with time. just make sure you have a loud radio!

Its funny that two people say glass packs lol...you usually dont get too many guys supporting those things...and yes i love loud and obnoxious which is why i want a 3 inch exhaust dumped under the car! (3 inch i figure ill do it once so that i dont have to do the exhaust again when i add alot more power)...I was looking into purple hornies before, but there arent many soundclips around on the net (mostly guys bolting them up to shitbuckets) and i dont know anyone around me who runs them to hear first hand...I always thought that glasspaks had a tinny or raspy sound as well, but others have told me no..I was set on borla xr-1's, but they are expensive and found dynomax ultra flow stainless mufflers in there catalog in the size i want, with a nice small case and sound description is "race" as opposed to the other descriptions as "sport":snakeman:...I gotta make a decision this soon:clock: how well do you guys think glasspacks would flow compared to a good straight through muffler like the ultra flow?

Again, I recall one of my many magazines I've read where they did a dyno shoot-out on all different mufflers......and I believe glasspacks were within only a few H.P. of the other top performance brands like Flowmaster. You can also choose the length of glasspack according to how loud you want it.

I also want a different sound than most other cars......seems like everybody and their brother runs Flowmasters.

I love my glasspaks! As I mentioned before, I just have the Summit brand ones, they're awesome. Not tinny or raspy at all just good old rumble. As far as flow goes, I imagine it'd be pretty comparable to other straight through mufflers, there really isn't much in there to restrict flow at all, just the little louvre looking things to vent to the packing material, and they're so small I doubt they cause much restriction. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to do a sound clip...

Its funny that two people say glass packs lol...you usually dont get too many guys supporting those things...and yes i love loud and obnoxious which is why i want a 3 inch exhaust dumped under the car! (3 inch i figure ill do it once so that i dont have to do the exhaust again when i add alot more power)...I was looking into purple hornies before, but there arent many soundclips around on the net (mostly guys bolting them up to shitbuckets) and i dont know anyone around me who runs them to hear first hand...I always thought that glasspaks had a tinny or raspy sound as well, but others have told me no..I was set on borla xr-1's, but they are expensive and found dynomax ultra flow stainless mufflers in there catalog in the size i want, with a nice small case and sound description is "race" as opposed to the other descriptions as "sport":snakeman:...I gotta make a decision this soon:clock: how well do you guys think glasspacks would flow compared to a good straight through muffler like the ultra flow?

We all know what glasspacks sound like.... you've heard them havn't you? LOL

There is no way I would ever put them on my car but that's just me. They do sound tinny or raspy VERY tinny and raspy. I've heard old wore out trash trucks sound better than the glasspacks. There is a Dodge Ram running around town that has glasspacks and it sounds horrible. My friend even brought it up before I said a word "Man that truck sounds like s--t!" But the owner of the truck most likely thinks it sounds like heaven.

I guess the best way to explain the sound that I'm after is the big block sound with of course a small block 360.

I think some glasspak soundclips are in order...Like i said ive heard a few but not enough to have me say i want them...Its the tinny raspy rep they have that makes me say no, but then guys say that they only knock a few db's off of open headers, so i guess it depends on your motor? i think thats what it really comes down to in a nutshell...it doesnt matter what mufflers you put on your ride, if the motor has crappy compression, manifolds, no cam, no tune, etc. i think it will sound like crap...a good exhaust sound is just an amplification of how good your under hood setup is imo

I think some glasspak soundclips are in order...Like i said ive heard a few but not enough to have me say i want them...Its the tinny raspy rep they have that makes me say no, but then guys say that they only knock a few db's off of open headers, so i guess it depends on your motor? i think thats what it really comes down to in a nutshell...it doesnt matter what mufflers you put on your ride, if the motor has crappy compression, manifolds, no cam, no tune, etc. i think it will sound like crap...a good exhaust sound is just an amplification of how good your under hood setup is imo

True!

And many times, the ones you hear are blown out......and running 2" exhaust pipe, which makes it sound more "tinny" or "raspy".

I'll post a clip of my Summit glasspaks in the AM tomorrow, my neighbors would probably appreciate me not revving my engine up tonight :-D. The most "tinny" sounding exhaust I've heard is the Flowmaster 40's that I tried on my car before I went to glasspaks, they sounded like crap!

Ok, here you go. I know, not exactly morning (even here in CA), but I had to figure out how to do the whole video thing.

Anyway, I think the sound quality is decent. At the beginning of the video its a little off, the sound at idle is more accurate after I rev it up (the microphone must have reset itself). The revving portion itself sounds higher pitched and with more treble than in person, probably maxing out the mic. The cabin sound at the very end (around 2:10 in the video) is pretty accurate in between all the rattles (stupid center console and windows mechanisms in need of a rebuild). If anything, it sounds a little deeper in person, the camera mic really doesn't really capture the deep bass notes or reverberation and its hard to get a feel for how loud it really is since the mic seems to reset itself automatically.

But this is my 318, stock cam as far as I know, 2 barrel carb with stock manifold, with Hooker Super Comp 1 3/4" headers (for the 340 I'm building), 2.5" exhaust with a Summit X pipe and 24" Summit glasspaks, dumped at the rear axle. :-D

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eamwil-bJBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eamwil-bJBg[/URL]

thanks for the clip! i agree that soundclips dont do any justice

Thanks for the sound clip.

Yeah that's definetly the sound of glasspacks.

Mshred ... I wonder what these would sound like. They aren't considered glasspacks but a Ultra Flo.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4222&N=700+400358+4294922710+115&autoview=sku

This one is longer.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4219&N=700+400358+4294922710+115&autoview=sku

This one is built a little different and is more exspensive... I bet this one would sound the best out of the ones listed above.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...7223&N=700+400358+4294922710+115&autoview=sku

I bet this muffler will sound like a Flowmaster because it is chambered.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...7657&N=700+400358+4294922710+115&autoview=sku

Now this one gets my vote.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...7229&N=700+400358+4294922710+115&autoview=sku

If your concernd about flow, go to the parts store, pick up a glasspack, look down the tube. And tinny is not even close to the way I would describe a glaspack. The tin sound is more likely from the headers. Just do yourself a favor and use an X pipe setup. They sound much better when they are balanced.

Mullinax, im pretty sure those first two mufflers you listed there would probably compare to bullets in sound- id love to have that sound, but its probably not practical for a daily driver...i probably will end up with dynomax mufflers for the fact they are straight through and are stainless steel...but i cant help but be interested in glasspacks since most hate em but i hear quite a few talking about them being loud and throaty

Mullinax, im pretty sure those first two mufflers you listed there would probably compare to bullets in sound- id love to have that sound, but its probably not practical for a daily driver...i probably will end up with dynomax mufflers for the fact they are straight through and are stainless steel...but i cant help but be interested in glasspacks since most hate em but i hear quite a few talking about them being loud and throaty

Glasspacks aren't as bad with headers... but stock manifolds the sound is awful in my book.

-
Back