Over 10% ethanol will destroy your car. EPA pushing it....

-

krazykuda

How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Why is the EPA pushing ethanol blends over 10% when AAA & Automakers say it will corrode/destroy your fuel system and engine components because of its severe corrosiveness (it has to be delivered in stainless steel tanks)?

They have 15% and 30% ethanol blends available which auto companies will void your warranty if you use them. You can only use them in approved flex fuel vehicles.

BEWARE & BOYCOTT E15 & E30 FUELS....

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/warnings-not-to-use-e15-gas-in-your-car/

Ethanol is also destroying the cooler running boat engines! They too are up in arms.

Yes, register to vote these yahoos out of office!

Before I found out what the problem was I lost two new fuel pumps on my trencher and numerous lines on yard equipment just using the 10% garbage.

Lot of hoopla over nothing.

Out in california we have 10% now, another 5% is not going to instantly ruin your car. Worst case scenario, it'll make a minute difference in how quickly your lines rot out.

The car companies are just fighting because then they'll have to spend more money and use better fuel lines. And car companies are all about putting out the cheapest crap they can get away with.

Out in california we have 10% now, another 5% is not going to instantly ruin your car. Worst case scenario, it'll make a minute difference in how quickly your lines rot out.

The car companies are just fighting because then they'll have to spend more money and use better fuel lines. And car companies are all about putting out the cheapest crap they can get away with.

everywhere has 10%. and yes, another 5% is gonna wreak havoc on our stuff... do you remember when it went from 5 to 10%? i remember losing MPG, having to re-tune, fuel system issues WITH EFI lines.

alot of guys swear by boost juice and alot swear by the damage it does for the same reason, it dosn't play well with some internal parts.

ive been trying to figure out how to stain or filter it out of the fuel before it goes into the tank.

Just wait, you'll see. This will go through and virtually nothing will change.

We were driving through South Carolina a few months ago and a little station off the beaten path had a sign posted, ethanol free fuel. I had just filled the suburban before we left so didn't stop, I didn't know you could buy it that way, I thought it was mandatory.

Found this site, list stations across the country and Canada that sell ethanol free gas.
http://pure-gas.org

What will never change is some people will always keep their head in the sand until it's too late.

We were driving through South Carolina a few months ago and a little station off the beaten path had a sign posted, ethanol free fuel. I had just filled the suburban before we left so didn't stop, I didn't know you could buy it that way, I thought it was mandatory.

Found this site, list stations across the country and Canada that sell ethanol free gas.
http://pure-gas.org

yea just sucks there are non by me...

What will never change is some people will always keep their head in the sand until it's too late.

too late for what?

what is with everyone turning any subject of debate into some nonsensical "ominous threat"

Don't want to drive crappy electric cars? Accept ethanol and prepare to change for it.

But I get it, the world progresses, dragging the irrational detractors along the way kicking and screaming like children.

Let me get this straight. So, alcohol that is actually more expensive than regular gas, but is subsidized by our tax dollars (so in effect, you're paying more for it), and makes transportation harder for those who cannot afford a new car that is safe to use with these fuels... that's progress? Got it.

Let me get this straight. So, alcohol that is actually more expensive than regular gas, but is subsidized by our tax dollars (so in effect, you're paying more for it), and makes transportation harder for those who cannot afford a new car that is safe to use with these fuels... that's progress? Got it.

exactly... and you have to buy more of it due to less MPG and MORE evaporation...

Yeah, good points, I left those out. There's just so many things wrong with the whole scenario.

I'm all for an alternative to oil-based fuels, if one can be developed that's cleaner, cheaper, and has no serious side effects otherwise. Progress is good. It just needs to be done right, and I don't agree with the way they're going about the ethanol "solution". I think we have the technology for a better solution, someone just needs to develop it to be affordable. Electric the way it's done now mostly comes from coal and nuclear, so isn't really all that ideal either. Solar or wind would be better to charge cars with either directly or indirectly.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the subject.

Last time I heard, SEMA is all over it, and they will be fighting for
all of us, and everyone that owns all old school vehicles. You can write to
them through the internet, to voice your concerns about the subject, just google SEMA. Their lawyers will be all over it, because it DOES ruin internal
engine parts!!

Ethanol is also destroying the cooler running boat engines! They too are up in arms.

Yes, register to vote these yahoos out of office!

The outboard motor industry has been fighting this **** fuel for a few years now.

Ya let's all go buy new crap cars because they run on this ****, problem solved

Electric the way it's done now mostly comes from coal and nuclear, so isn't really all that ideal either.

Electric isn't flawless either. Has anyone thought about what happens in an accident where the batteries used to store the energy get shattered? Where's all that battery acid going to go???.... All over the people involved in the accident. What will a bath in battery acid do to somenone???

The subsidies ended awhile ago and prices for E85 didn't "rocket up" like people claimed during that debacle.

Plenty of cars can be augmented to accommodate ethanol without too much trouble. And that small amount won't make a big difference. Go look at people building E85 turbo cars. A lot of camaros/vettes using stock fuel tanks with line that can handle ethanol and a good tune. Not a big deal.

With our options, ethanol will be the future. Once algae fuel is sorted, it will easily become the new standard. Why fight it?

Electric isn't flawless either. Has anyone thought about what happens in an accident where the batteries used to store the energy get shattered? Where's all that battery acid going to go???.... All over the people involved in the accident. What will a bath in battery acid do to somenone???

The more interesting bit is what happens when an electric car using a lithium battery gets flooded out?

tumblr_mcqeitudgy1qb8s23.jpg

fisker karma knows what happens.

The subsidies ended awhile ago and prices for E85 didn't "rocket up" like people claimed during that debacle.

Plenty of cars can be augmented to accommodate ethanol without too much trouble. And that small amount won't make a big difference. Go look at people building E85 turbo cars. A lot of camaros/vettes using stock fuel tanks with line that can handle ethanol and a good tune. Not a big deal.

With our options, ethanol will be the future. Once algae fuel is sorted, it will easily become the new standard. Why fight it?

alot of EFI parts are already designed to be impervious to most anything for safety and longevity reasons, they cant have injector o-rings or fuel lines splitting.

but were not talking new gen cars, were talking about our 40/50/60/Etc year old cars that were designed to run on 100 octane lead, not 87 octane diluted with alky...

my 68 dosn't have a purge system, so as that tank expands and contracts due to temp change its sucking in 40-75% humidity air AND WATER. that water binds with the alky and creates acid. when you run your can and then shut it off, any fuel that made it into the crank case is now bonding with the water in the air. now you have ACID in your crank case. its bad enough to have bearing pitting from old oil.

so you would rather pay more at the pump, for a product that is bad for your vehicle, and worse on the environment? that makes no sense to me...

I wouldn't say over nothing. I already can't keep a weed eater or blower that is gas powered running for more than 6 months without needing fuel system work. I have had to replace braided steel fuel lines on cars every couple years now, they start leaking from the inside out. The fuel I buy for lawn mowers and has a shelf life of like two weeks before it starts going bad. I'm not smart enough and haven't researched enough to know if it's because of ethanol blends but I suspect that it probably is. I do know, I didn't have any of these problems 10 years ago. I really don't need the problem to get worse.

The car company original equipment seems better today than ever. Now trying to get replacement parts even from a factory dealer is another story. All they sell is crap. Where can you find good fuel line? Not at the auto parts stores by me. Even the aircraft lines wont hold up to today's fuels .

Plenty of cars can be augmented to accommodate ethanol without too much trouble.

Really?!?

Why fight it?

Here's why.

Engine/Parts Damage:

1. Wear and damage of internal engine parts.
2. Damage to metal, rubber, and plastic parts of fuel system.
3. Corrosion of metal parts in fuel system and engine.
4. Deterioration of elastomers and plastic parts.
5. Deterioration of non-metallic materials.
6. Fuel permeation through flexible fuel lines.
7. Drying, softening, stretching and/or cracking of rubber hoses,
seals and other rubber components.
8. Oxygen sensor damage.
9. Damage or premature disintegration of fuel pump.
10. Carburetor damage, including clogging.
11. Dirty and clogged fuel filters.
12. Clogging and plugging of fuel injectors.
13. Destruction of certain fiberglass fuel tanks.
14. Removal or fading of paint and varnish (both internal and external parts of engine).
15. Piston/bore failure through knock/pre-ignition.
16. Piston ring sticking.
17. Unsuitable ignition timing resulting in ignition failure.
18. Gumming-up of fuel injectors, carburetors, etc. due to release of accumulated deposits in engine from ethanol alcohol's solvent properties.

E10 Drivability Issues:

1. Engine performance problems, often simply due to lower energy of ethanol-blends.
2. Hard starting and operating difficulty.
3. Hesitation and lack of acceleration.
4. Stalling, especially at low speeds.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html

-
Back