PCV Valve problem

-

efar

Coastal Cuda
Reaction score
I recentlly purchased a 68 barracuda formula s 340. It had a good bit of noise coming from the passenger side valve cover. Previous owner thought it was a sticking valve. A good buddy of mine and I removed the valve cover and could find no problems, eventually we started the motor with the valve coner off and lo and behold the noise was gone. Look inside the M/T valve cover to find the PCV valve was being pounded by the valve train. Anyone else ever hear of this and am I going to have to redrill the valve cover to accept a grommet(it has a screw in type pcv now) in order to get a shorter PCV valve. I can't seem to find any shorter screw in type PCV's. and do I need a baffle below it?

Welcome to the FABO family!!!!

Glad you found out what the issue was and that it was so simple. Post some pictures and maybe someone will have some great suggestions.

I redrilled the cover and bought a nice new grommett and pcv valve, problem fixed. Noticed an oil leak and decided to change oil pan gasket. Now the oil pan is off, right side header is removed, so I figure what the hell, remove left side and starter. Clean up oil pan buy new gaskets and replace bolts with stainless bolts and washers. Looking nice. Now I have rusty headers to deal with. filled a tub with water added arm and hammer washing soda, clipped a steel rod to one side, put the header in and attached the positive side of a battery charger to the steel rod and the negative to the header. Left it over night. Wow, rust removed! Now my question is,( and i probably know the answer) can anyone recommend (with photographic proof) a good header paint? or do I have to go with a ceramic coating$$$?

ceramic coating IMO. Paint always burns off and looks like crap.

You may still have a problem. The PCV should be above a baffle in the rocker cover so too much oil doesn't enter it. Early engines had the pcv on top of a cap similar to a breather cap.
I heard once that the oil passing there would go to one cylinder but I cant remember which. Was it 5 or 7 ? Dont know if its true or not either so...
good luck with it.

Redfish, yeah the baffle was missing, so I took a sheet of metal and made a new one before I put in the pcv. So no one has had any luck with VHT paint or Eastwood hi temp coatings?

-
Back