Picked up a 833

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a 833 4 speed today

C99129

PP8330198

From what I have found its out of a B or C body mopar.
Its a iron case non overdrive spins very smooth.Looks good inside to.

This is a longtail tranny and I know I will have to make a bracket to fit in my 1973 Plymouth Duster.The car is a /6 904 car.I am swaping to a 340 and 4 speed maybe a 360 if things dont pan out the next week or so.

What all will I need

Pedals what pedals will fit in my car.
What bellhouseing
What clutch
What else?

The natives are restless again,73.Better edit to 833,transmission,anything but tranny.(lol)

I thinks its out of a b body so what kinda flywheel/clutch setup/bellhousing do I need.
Do I need a b body bell housing.Or can I use am A body part.What kinda clutch set up do I need b or a body.

If you're putting it behind a small block motor, then you need a small block bellhousing. The trans will bolt up to any Mopar bellhousing, its all in your setup. You will need to change the tailshaft if it is a B or C body trans as the shifter mount will not work in an A body car, the location is different. Is it a coarse spline or fine spline?? Coarse spline (18 spline) is the preferred trans over the fine (23 spline) but there is nothing wrong with either trans. If it is coarse spline, you may want to consider selling it and purchasing the correct A body unit. A coarse spline trans will regularly fetch $800.00-1000, whereas a fine spline from the same car will only fetch $200-300.

Better make sure that your motor of choice has the crank drilled for the pilot shaft bushing, or be prepared to either have it drilled or buy the roller bearing replacement that fits in the torque converter hub!!

Any flywheel and clutch assembly correct for an A body manual trans car will work for this trans, but I'm not sure on the pedal application. Of course, any 73 and later manual shift pedals would work, but as for earlier pedals, someone with more knowledge on this would have the answer!! Good luck with your swap!! Geof

Well if you are using a 360 then you need the flywheel balanced for that motor, then you need pedals,shifter, linkage, a mounting bracket on the frame side for the needed z-bar,the correct small block bellhousing,and a clutch unit. As mentioned by cosgig the crankshaft will need the pilot hole to accept the trans input shaft. Also you will need to cut your floor out and to install it somewhat correctly a 4 speed floor hump which allows you to screw the shifter boot to. On your transmission are there 2 mounting areas for the shifter to bolt to? Im referring to 1 towards the front of the tailshaft and 1 at the rear. If so then its a B&E body trans, technically to have the correct shifter location you should have an A body trans. This swap is not that difficult but not a piece of cake either especially when you have to weld a bracket on the frame for the z-bar and find all the correct A body parts. Good luck!

Well if you are using a 360 then you need the flywheel balanced for that motor, then you need pedals,shifter, linkage, a mounting bracket on the frame side for the needed z-bar,the correct small block bellhousing,and a clutch unit. As mentioned by cosgig the crankshaft will need the pilot hole to accept the trans input shaft. Also you will need to cut your floor out and to install it somewhat correctly a 4 speed floor hump which allows you to screw the shifter boot to. On your transmission are there 2 mounting areas for the shifter to bolt to? Im referring to 1 towards the front of the tailshaft and 1 at the rear. If so then its a B&E body trans, technically to have the correct shifter location you should have an A body trans. This swap is not that difficult but not a piece of cake either especially when you have to weld a bracket on the frame for the z-bar and find all the correct A body parts. Good luck!

All I have to do is make a bracket and it will fix the shifter postion

Before and after
I think the previous owner allready made the bracket for the shifter to fit in an A-Body

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Heres why I think the previous owner make a bracket for it or it could be a stock bracket.

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Well thats an E&B body trans as it has both mounting areas, the bracket looks like a 71-72 B-body console shifter bracket. Looks like someone did you a favor and worked out a few things. Good luck with the swap and keep us posted!!

You need to post the casting number off of the front bearing retainer to find out if its an O/D. Shifter n linkage point to O/D. If you need any of the other 4 speed stuff we have most in stock alot cheaper than brewers.

You need to post the casting number off of the front bearing retainer to find out if its an O/D. Shifter n linkage point to O/D. If you need any of the other 4 speed stuff we have most in stock alot cheaper than brewers.

Its a 1.1 when you spin the input shaft the output spins once.
Will have to get the numbers in the morning

-
Back