Picked up a 833

-
Of course it's one to one when shifted to the 4th gear selection. Now back shift it to "3rd" and you might notice it's not under-driven but over-driven. Notice the 3/4 lever is pointing down and not up.

Of course the 3/4 lever might have been installed upside down, if so make sure it points up if it's a straight 4 speed.

Russ.

My money is on this trans being out of a 75 and later truck. Measure the front bearing retainer,if it's an overdrive trans,it will measure just over 5" (5.125") to be exact. The shifter bracket on the trans is a factory piece,to get the shifter higher through the truck floor.
Not a good starting point for an A-body. It can be done,but there are alot of variables.
The front shifter pad is for a B-body the rear pad for a E-body. You will need to make a bracket somewhere in between for an A-body. The front pad will hit the cross member when installed. So you either get a BFH and beat a dent in the car for clearance,or grind the pad off the trans. shorter driveshaft,overdrive bellhousing,V8 clutch fork,on and on. It can be done,but get out the Tylenol,cause it will be a headache.On top of that,iMO,will be hoackey.

If a 4spd conversion is what you must have,start with an A-body 833.
Things will go waaaay smoother.

My money is on this trans being out of a 75 and later truck. Measure the front bearing retainer,if it's an overdrive trans,it will measure just over 5" (5.125") to be exact. The shifter bracket on the trans is a factory piece,to get the shifter higher through the truck floor.
Not a good starting point for an A-body. It can be done,but there are alot of variables.
The front shifter pad is for a B-body the rear pad for a E-body. You will need to make a bracket somewhere in between for an A-body. The front pad will hit the cross member when installed. So you either get a BFH and beat a dent in the car for clearance,or grind the pad off the trans. shorter driveshaft,overdrive bellhousing,V8 clutch fork,on and on. It can be done,but get out the Tylenol,cause it will be a headache.On top of that,iMO,will be hoackey.

The numbers on the side point to a 70/71 modle B/C body

hey, what does that " BFH" stand for? big f***N hammer????????????? lmao

i agree, as that tranny is going to be a pain for you to install. but, no matter what anyone says, you seem determined to use it, even if it kills you!. have fun, and taken pics and keep us posted!.

when you get frustrated and want to give up, remember that seasoned members on here told you that it is a pain, even for guys that have done years of wrenching. you would be better off selling it and picking up one that will fit right in for not much more money.
what happens if you put it in, do all the work, and it not be any good?

hey, what does that " BFH" stand for? big f***N hammer????????????? lmao

i agree, as that tranny is going to be a pain for you to install. but, no matter what anyone says, you seem determined to use it, even if it kills you!. have fun, and taken pics and keep us posted!.

when you get frustrated and want to give up, remember that seasoned members on here told you that it is a pain, even for guys that have done years of wrenching. you would be better off selling it and picking up one that will fit right in for not much more money.
what happens if you put it in, do all the work, and it not be any good?

You cant just go pick another one when you have no more money left in the budget after you planded for this motor and the motor the guy has.

right, but you still do not have all the other stuff needed, so you are not that far ahead in the game!. now would be the time to list that trans for sale, and use the money towards the correct one. i am telling you. you will wish you got the correct one from the start. just words of advice,
i do not even think the shift linkages will even work, as they will hit the cross-member. so there is more money wasted!

by the bracket on the shifter, and all, i am going to go out on a limb and say it is out of a truck.

How much can yu pick up an A-body 833 of same condtion.
I might know were there is a alum case 833 o/d.Not sure if
its out of a duster.But I dont know is I have a 833 o/d.Is it
the same as a normal 4 speed mins the o/d.

Its a 23 spline and cant really get a good measure on the retainer it around 5in.

There are 3 Mopar bearing retainer sizes.
5.125" = 75 and later overdrive
4.80" = 18 spline Hemi trans
4.35" = Everything else

A buddy of mine just picked up the same trans as yours,so I just went through all of this. His trans had the same exact shift bracket as yours. The trans was out of a 75 truck. You have a OD (overdrive) a833 trans out of a 75 and later truck. All I am going to say,is Huge Can of Worms.After talking with me,this trans is for sale.

By the way,
What is wrong with a nice 904 with a shift kit behind your small block ?

Not trying to talk you out of anything.Doesnt really matter to me what you use.Just speaking from experience her.Put a nicely built 904 back in, and $ wise, you will be way ahead of the game.

Of course it's one to one when shifted to the 4th gear selection. Now back shift it to "3rd" and you might notice it's not under-driven but over-driven. Notice the 3/4 lever is pointing down and not up.

Of course the 3/4 lever might have been installed upside down, if so make sure it points up if it's a straight 4 speed.

Russ.

This post was probably overlooked,and answers it all.
In the overdrive trans,they just flipped the 3/4 arm upside down as Russ mentioned. Tricking the tranny into thinking 3rd is 4th, and 4th is 3rd.

By the way,

Not trying to talk you out of anything.Doesnt really matter to me what you use.Just speaking from experience her.Put a nicely built 904 back in, and $ wise, you will be way ahead of the game.

exactly my thoughts about it. a nicely built 904 or 727 would more than get the job done. its a complete bolt in without all the hassle of modifying everything and playing guessing games with a bunch of different parts and pieces, unless you can find a parts car with all the pieces. just wondering lol

There are 3 Mopar bearing retainer sizes.
5.125" = 75 and later overdrive
4.80" = 18 spline Hemi trans
4.35" = Everything else

A buddy of mine just picked up the same trans as yours,so I just went through all of this. His trans had the same exact shift bracket as yours. The trans was out of a 75 truck. You have a OD (overdrive) a833 trans out of a 75 and later truck. All I am going to say,is Huge Can of Worms.After talking with me,this trans is for sale.

By the way,

I just think a 4 speed is cooler

exactly my thoughts about it. a nicely built 904 or 727 would more than get the job done. its a complete bolt in without all the hassle of modifying everything and playing guessing games with a bunch of different parts and pieces, unless you can find a parts car with all the pieces. just wondering lol

Now were grinding the corn.......:burnout:

I am late getting back but after looking at the pics that is a truck overdrive. The last one I had I sold with the bellhousing for 100 but did not have the shifter for it. I would say you have a 200 dollar item there. Not here to knock your deal just things I have learned the hard and costly way before listening and learning here.

-
Back