Pictures wanted of fenderwell header areas on pass side for turbo

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
does anyone have pictures of a fenderwell header cutout on the passengers side with the engine out so I can guesstimate just about how much room I can get by opening up that area for a turbo setup in that area? measurements appreciated too!:D

I still want to do a turbo setup on my 66 dart. I have pursued the rear mount setup idea since I'm not willing to lose my A/C..( uh huh not happening for me in Florida). so another idea popped into my head (hmmm) how bout running the pipe around the bottom of the engine over to the area where a passengers side fenderwell header cutout would be and just run the intake to the front on that side to the intercooler? Then from the intercooler over or in-between the a/compressor to the carb or throttle body(much later) I like the idea better than the rear setup since it saves me a scavenge pump and lots of oil cooler lines.

Luckily I have the front half of a 4door 66 that still has most of the metal (And engine/trans) from the cowl forward that I can mock up without trashing my convertible on test fit's and cuts. I was thinking of running the (flanged on either end for easier removal)pipe down between the trans pan and bellhousing then back up to the passengers side. I think there is enough room to get the 2.5 pipe up to the turbo and back down to the exhaust in either one of these places if it'll clear the steering gear lock to lock
View attachment !!!!!here or here.jpg

Theres all kinds of ways to skin a cat. Going to proably need more info theres tons of different ways to run your piping? Do you have fenderwells installed now? Are you planning on running manifolds,headers, im in the process of building a twin setup in my valiant now. Theres some good pics here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=164757
Good luck and keep us posted

Theres all kinds of ways to skin a cat. Going to proably need more info theres tons of different ways to run your piping? Do you have fenderwells installed now? Are you planning on running manifolds,headers, im in the process of building a twin setup in my valiant now. Theres some good pics here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=164757
Good luck and keep us posted

thanks I'm still looking at things to see if all makes a good fit. I'm thinking a split scroll flange to a little faster spooling but have not been able to pin down the exact turbo I want to put in there for the front mounted one. the rear one would be smaller then the front one to spool a lot faster way back there for lag help according to everything I have read.
so taking it in order.

I'm to the point now that the engine is apart for head work (new everything so far) that I need to really start thinking where and how I want to do this thing.

there are 2 options that I can do (I am not going over 10 boost)
1. the rear mounted turbo \
Advantages of smaller turbo required and possibly no intercooler,
cons are a rear scavenge oil pump and lines along with a lot more piping under the car.
yes i know I can put a rear mounted oil sump back there but it;d be a bear to monitor it for oil levels,again more lines or wires.

2. engine bay mounting on passengers side where fender well headers would be cut into the inner fender panel but boxed in for weather. standard is on drivers side but I want to keep A/c and power steering because I'm in Florida and lazy.
Advantages are less piping, no oil scavenge pump and shorter lines.
Cons are I have to figure out if it'll fit and can be clocked to fit in the area I want it to go AND finding space for an inter cooler in the radiator area

plus the oil line is right there on the passengers side and the drain can be there too!
now that the body is done.
here is what I have got

225 /6 engine complete redo in the works. pistons,rings,bored,hardened seats larger valves ,crank done and so forth.
deciding on a cam lifter setup but think a tiny bit better than stock or even stock might be best for the turbo setup.
automatic trans
widwband AF meter
looking at this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFH2RW/?tag=joeychgo-20

A/C with late model sanden compressor

Power steering
7.25 rear 273 ish" gearing(waiting on a similar road gear for the 8.25 before I buy one,ohh and more money too!)
smaller late model alternator (more power for electric windows,top,trunk. and odds n ends)

I do not have fender well headers installed. (/6 engine) so no need for them. but the "fender well style" opening on the passengers side is what I'm eyeing to tuck the turbo into.

yes, I'm running a manifold but a custom dual one from Waggin.

I want to do a pishta style pipe coming off of my custom"waggins " 2.25 diameter dual manifold setup into one 3 incher routed out under the engine or trans pan bellhousing area(flattened in that area a bit) and over to the passengers side by the A/c blower motor and shock tower area. then back out in that same area for the exhaust to the rear. I might have to heat shield the turbo out pipe since it will be close to the firewall.

-
Back