Pit bull....

-
inkjunkie, hi, long time no see.

Maybe this will help http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=74600&highlight=titan+show+dogs

And this from a liberal media outlet http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacqueline-wilson/8-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-a-pit-bull_b_8043952.html

We lost Titan last year due to age and inbred infirmity's. We now have a female pit mix which we didn't think twice about adopting re: pit.

If you're away and someone breaks into your home, the pit will help them pack your stuff.

If your home and someone breaks into your home with evil intent your pit will sacrifice their life to protect you.

yes sir.

That "killer dog" will tear the throat out of any buster that it thinks is threatening you our your family. Directly aftey it puts a solid hurt down on any **** that its owners tell it to, It will stop, stand and protect your child untill the law shows up or you.

Best thing is the bond between your child and the dog, that dog will know who is bad and will wreck there world, even if your child can say yes or no.

We got a pit mix from the local shelter a couple of months back - as you can see, he's pretty friendly (crawls in my lap and goes to sleep whenever sit down to watch the TV)

Attachments

• Patch.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Patch hug.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 233
If you decide to get a pit bull, be prepared for a fair amount of people questioning your (lack of good) judgement. The fact is, for whatever reason, pits can, and will, for no explainable reason, turn into a vicious killing machine. They can be provoked by something completely innocent. You think the vast amount of stories, confirmed cases of horrible mutilations, killings, etc, are not significant? With no intended offense to anyone who owns one, I have to say, with all the many many good dog breeds out there, why would anyone even consider owning a pit bull?

If you decide to get a pit bull, be prepared for a fair amount of people questioning your (lack of good) judgement. The fact is, for whatever reason, pits can, and will, for no explainable reason, turn into a vicious killing machine. They can be provoked by something completely innocent. You think the vast amount of stories, confirmed cases of horrible mutilations, killings, etc, are not significant? With no intended offense to anyone who owns one, I have to say, with all the many many good dog breeds out there, why would anyone even consider owning a pit bull?

Not sure about other pittie owners, but nobody has ever questioned me or my judgement about owning my pit/boxer mix. Not sure why though since she's such a vicious killing machine. Lol!!

To the OP- ignore all the bullshit about how vicious they are, staying away from mix breeds, etc... Get a dog, raise it right, and be rewarded with a lifelong best friend. It's the same formula no matter what kind of dog you get. It's not rocket science. You've owned dogs before. Keep doing what you've already been doing.

PhotoGrid951391470041591_zpstlcw0e8l.jpg

downsized_0710131914c_zps6ddr3teu.jpg

lyla_zps2d40b3b7.jpg

My daughter got a pit bull pup shelter pet. The dog is docile, loving, and playful. You need to be particular in selecting a shelter rescue, but there are plenty of very gentle animals in need of a good home.

I love Pitbulls. I've had and know many people who still have them.
But be careful...........they have VERY long tongues and are extremely sneaky when it comes to slapping you with them!!

The fact is, for whatever reason, pits can, and will, for no explainable reason, turn into a vicious killing machine. They can be provoked by something completely innocent.

Your ignorance is truly astounding. This is like saying guns kill people. You believe everything you see on the news?

"Pit Bull" isn't even a breed. It's a general category that any one of about 5 different breeds are normally lumped into. A category that about 87.5% of shelter workers misidentified. If shelter workers can't properly identify a "pit bull", what do you think the chances of the media, or general public, correctly identifying one? See stats here-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-katy-nelson/pit-bulls-are-in-fact-unicorns_b_8028748.html

"Pits" are victims of the media, plain and simple. Any dog can bite. Any dog can attack. Yes, "pits" tend to be strong, muscular dogs, so they can and will cause more damage than other kinds of dogs if they become aggressive, but that is the only difference. I have been around far more chihuahua's with aggressive behavior than "pit bulls", but of course no one considers them because they're typically too small to do much damage. Bite stats are skewed for the same reason. Who would go to the ER and admit they were bit by a Chihuahua? Well, that's were bite stats come from -ER's. And because people who are bit by "pit bulls" are more likely to go to the ER, because of mental prejudice as well as physical damage, the bite statistics are skewed. Seriously, if someone's labrador bites you, do you go to the ER? Or do you let them talk you out of it because you don't want their pet to be destroyed? But if someone's "dangerous" pit bull bites you, well, damn right you do-you want that dog reported regardless. Which dog is more dangerous? The behavior is the same, only the result differs.

The dogs from Michael Vick's dogfighting operation were rescued, and retrained. Some of them became certified therapy dogs. Many more passed the "canine good citizen" test. If any "pit" was going to be dangerous, you'd think it would be former fighting dogs right? Well, you'd be completely wrong. Only one of the 51 dogs rescued from Vick's fighting ring was put down for being "too violent". One. And those were actually fighting dogs. 47 were saved, retrained, and most adopted out. Really, anyone who wants to voice their opinion about "pits" should read the book "The Lost Dogs" first. Maybe it won't completely change your opinion, but at least you won't be talking completely out of your butt.

Short article on the Vick dogs

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/12/23/vick-dogs

Here's a follow up on some of the more "accomplished" former Vick dogs

http://www.badrap.org/six-years-later

And then theres this guy, a former Army veteran that rescues and advocates for "blocky-headed wigglebutts" in Ohio

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen-baldwin/why-i-rescue-blocky-headed-wigglebutts_b_8032366.html

People that advocate against "pit bulls" are simply ignorant and uninformed at best. It's true, they're not for everyone, and they do need responsible owners. But so do many breeds that do not get the media vilification that "pits" do, or are subject to the same ignorant labels. Do some actual research, not just BS internet searches on violent "pit bulls" that might not actually even BE "pit bulls". Read the books. Ask veterinarians. Develop an informed opinion. Like I said, they are not for everyone. They're athletic, can be high energy, and need responsible training and lots of exercise. But do that and they're the best dogs out there.

As far as being "ruined" because they came from a shelter - also complete and utter BS. I have two "pit bulls". Luke is some kind of Dalmation/"Pit" mix. We rescued him from the pound. He was already 2 years old, had been in shelters on 2 different occasions in his life for several months, and was previously owned by a guy that went to state prison. Yes, I own a rescued "pit" that was owned by a convicted felon.

He is the nicest, most well trained dog I've ever owned. Yes, it took a lot of training on our part to get him to where he is today. But he was always a sweetheart, regardless of his prior life, just a little lacking on training. And he gets walked about a mile and a half a day, carrying a backpack with 32oz of water bottles so he actually gets tired before I do.

Mia came from the local SPCA. She's some kind of hound/bulldog/"pit". One of the smartest dogs I've owned. A little mischievous, and not the best around cats (although we manage), but again, a nice dog that is very loyal and obedient. We take her to the Green Acres Nursery (plants, not kids), where her favorite trick is to roll onto her back and beg for pets from complete strangers.

I fear what other people will do to my dogs far more than I worry about what my dogs will do to other people, regardless of the situation. And if anyone ever hurts my dogs I fear they will discover that I am far more dangerous an animal than either of my dogs, because they are family as far as I am concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 187
Another Pitt like Bull Dog.

What breed is that?? Frickin thing looks like it can bench press about 500 lbs!!

We just adpoted out our Black Lab Rufus. It sucked but with us now having grand babies I put my foot down and there was 2 choices. One good and one not so good. He nipped/bit a few times and occasionally showed aggression. I got him because I always heard good things about Black Labs. But recently heard that they are inclined to get a little aggressive/squirrely.

Up here Doug Pit's have to be muzzled and I believe registered. For me I wouldnt own one, lots of aggressive/cross breeding and we have grand kids. Plus the stigma. But I am the furthest thing from an expert, I thought Labs were docile...LOL

I would love a Bull Mastiff, but no more dogs until we retire and Im sure as hell that Lori wont allow me to get a Mastiff.

Like Mopowers said, keep doing what yer doing. They have all been fine for you. I would like to think that if one goes "sideways" that I would stand a chance!! LOL if its a Pit, I dont think I stand much of a chance!

As far as being "ruined" because they came from a shelter - also complete and utter BS.

I think the main point about shelter dogs is that there is a high possibility they have been trained by people who should not own dogs
They may need "rehabilitation" and not everyone might be able to properly handle that

Then again, whatever thee pee-on'so name is who interview people outside the people's court always says shelter dogs will be forever grateful you rescued them

( we have a shelter cat and she is WAY more affectionate then cats generally are)

Thanks everyone for your comments...I will respond to a few of them when I get a chance.
I will be in touch with our insurance agent. As afar as keeping it in the yard...our 5 acres are fenced with locked gates. Our county pretty much has no dog ordinances. We have no animal control in any way. Spoke to the Sheriffs about this, was told to deal with any problem dog accordingly, whatever that means.
We will be keeping an eye on the few local shelters. I am also "friends" with a woman on FB that lives on the coast that runs a "Pit" rescue organization.
While I would love to "adopt" a dog we both want a puppy. For one, we do have the 2 young Redbones. They are both very high energy. Would be skeptical of bringing an older dog into the house. Especially one that we have no idea of what kind of environment it came from.
This all may be for nothing. I got a text from the breeder of our girls, he has pups. I spoke with a woman today who was going to ask some her friends in a neighborhood not to far from us. Heard rumors that there is a woman that breeds Blueticks....a breed I would really like to own.
Again, thanks for all your input....

I was also somewhat concerned about the breed. That is until we went to the SPCA to get a friend for our Lab after his little chihuahua buddy had to be put down at 17 years old.

We took our lab to the SPCA and he found his new buddy, Ziggy, a 6 month old Red nose Coby mix (according to SPCA).

We've had him nearly 3 years and he is one of the best dogs I've ever had. The best part is he is "on guard" barely sleeping anytime I'm away from the house overnight. It's unbelievable how he knows I'm not home and feels he needs to protect my wife. When I come home he crashes knowing I'm home.

He play dog fights with our 8 year old Lab and hasn't once gotten out of hand.

Here he is with my wife and his brother Leo and having a Starbucks "puppy Latte".

I don't think you can go wrong, it's all in the way they are trained. Remember Petey on the Little Rascals was a Bull Terrier!!

Attachments

• Ziggy and Leo.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Ziggy Puppy Latte.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 182
Like I said Bryan, no offense to the owners of these dogs. Yes, they can be a great pet, I realize that. I had one years ago. Lexie was a super mellow, laid back Staffordshire Terrior, one of the breeds that is grouped as a "pit bull".

A few years ago, an aquaintence of mine had his adult son over for a visit. He brought his wife and daughter, about 1 1/2 years old. As well as their family pet, a pit bull. The daughter was raised with the dog. There were NEVER any problems or reasons for concern. The dog was mild, mellow, friendly, etc.

The son needed to run into town, so he and his wife left the child, and the dog, home with the grand parents. The gory fact is that the dog killed the small child right there in the living room, right in front of her grand parents. They tried to stop it, and the old guy got bloodied up pretty bad. But the dog went into some sort of mad behavior and ripped that little baby to shreds. When the sherif got there, they immediately shot the dog right there in the living room.

If you want to think my ignorance is astounding, so be it. I don't really care. It is obvious that you have a dog in this fight though. And by the way, it's not like saying guns kill people. It's pit bulls that are killing people. I truly hope no harm comes to anyone you know or love.

Like I said in my first post, no offense to owners of the group of dogs know as pit bulls. I know they can be a very loyal, friendly companion. But sometimes, something goes wrong. Doug asked for opinions. I gave mine, knowing that it would be met with objections. Take it or leave it.

Like I said Bryan, no offense to the owners of these dogs. Yes, they can be a great pet, I realize that. I had one years ago. Lexie was a super mellow, laid back Staffordshire Terrior, one of the breeds that is grouped as a "pit bull".

A few years ago, an aquaintence of mine had his adult son over for a visit. He brought his wife and daughter, about 1 1/2 years old. As well as their family pet, a pit bull. The daughter was raised with the dog. There were NEVER any problems or reasons for concern. The dog was mild, mellow, friendly, etc.

The son needed to run into town, so he and his wife left the child, and the dog, home with the grand parents. The gory fact is that the dog killed the small child right there in the living room, right in front of her grand parents. They tried to stop it, and the old guy got bloodied up pretty bad. But the dog went into some sort of mad behavior and ripped that little baby to shreds. When the sherif got there, they immediately shot the dog right there in the living room.

If you want to think my ignorance is astounding, so be it. I don't really care. It is obvious that you have a dog in this fight though. And by the way, it's not like saying guns kill people. It's pit bulls that are killing people. I truly hope no harm comes to anyone you know or love.

Like I said in my first post, no offense to owners of the group of dogs know as pit bulls. I know they can be a very loyal, friendly companion. But sometimes, something goes wrong. Doug asked for opinions. I gave mine, knowing that it would be met with objections. Take it or leave it.
I didn't read all these posts, cause I don`t care for pitbulls at all. they will be target practice at my house ! a friends son was raised w/ the pit bull next door, (to them), no mistreatment at all. the kids were laying in the floor watching tv, the familys pit walked into the room and jumped on the neighbor kid that was raised w/ them-played w/ them , and tore his face off, 3 operations to save the kid ! there was no reason for this, and the kids didnt even know the pit was in the room. they are not a natural breed.

I love all the dog breeds. That being said I've seen a few good dogs temporarily get aggressive. One was a golden retriever. He was the best dog I ever owned. But he nipped at a kid one day for absolutely no reason. I've seen labs do it also. Ankle biters are notorious for it. The thing is, when a pit is having a bad day and it decides to nip the damage is devastating. Sometimes they see red and go full on attack mode. All living beings have mood swings and can surprise you.

I had a horse that would be nice as pie one minute and ten minutes later try to bite you or use you as a
football and try to put you through the uprights from fifty yards. They are animals sometimes they do stuff only that animal can understand.

Pit bulls just do more damage when they act out. Chows are the number one biters, they just don't seem to maim and kill when they bite.
I can't have a pit bull here, we have way to much traffic here.

Friends bring their pits over and they play with my two boxers. Its pretty intense the first five minutes with the high energy both breeds are full of, and my males protectiveness of his much smaller sister. They have never done much more than wrestle though. They start to get a little too aggressive I yell at them and they settle down. My boxers play rough and the pit bulls can take it. They never use any more force than my dogs do. I worry though because its my two dogs against one and if I was the one dog I would get pissed being double teamed like that. I like pits I just can't own one.

ten years ago my life turned left and I moved in with old car buddy while I built my modest home. he keft 3 pits for his "idiot" son, so no telling what he had taught them. I had been there 4-5 months, outside using the cutting torch on something. one pit sneaked up on me an "nipped" me on the ankle. no real bit. I cussed him out and threw something at him. few minute s later I " felt" something approaching, he was sneaking back at me!!! ready to do it again! my only experience with them.
I have had several Rots. they were breed back in medieval times for livestock and guard work. they were the best dogs, totally fearless of anything. but mine were the best natured dogs. NO they would not keep away a thief but i'm sure if they thought I was in danger, would give their life. very intimidating looking to a stranger. a bigh "woff", and then wag the tail!!! LOL

You say "no offense", but you then you say things that actually are intended to offend without backing them with any kind of evidence.

Yes, I do have a reason to be biased. Two of them actually. But unlike you, I understand that ANY dog can act like a dog. Doesn't matter what kind they are, any dog of a physical size capable of doing you harm can act exactly as you've described. "Pit Bulls" are no different. If there was any scientific evidence based on DNA or genetics that "pit bulls" were in fact more dangerous than any other breed out there, that evidence would be everywhere. There isn't, because that evidence doesn't exist. They're dogs, just like any other. Period.

Believe whatever you like. There's no factual evidence behind your beliefs, just a misinformed opinion. "I knew a guy" isn't scientific evidence. You weren't there, you didn't see what caused the incident, and honestly you have no idea how your neighbor treated that dog. The neighbors of serial killers pretty much always say "he seemed nice, kinda quiet, kept to himself". That's not evidence. Yes, it is tragic and horrible. But it's not evidence that the breed is more dangerous than any other dog of a similar size.

I didn't read all these posts, cause I don`t care for pitbulls at all. they will be target practice at my house !

Of course you didn't read all the posts. You have an opinion, you believe it is true regardless of the evidence, and will defend your ignorant opinion with any story you can find regardless of its veracity or basis in fact.

This is in fact the definition of willful ignorance.

they are not a natural breed.

Uh, no domestic dog is a "natural" breed. They have all been bred by humans, and for thousands of years.

Remember this one? A neighbors dog attacked a kid playing in the driveway for no reason. Do you know what kind of dog that is? Probably not, because almost every story related to the incident just said "dog". Seriously, do a search. You'll be hard pressed to find one that actually gives the breed of the dog in the video. Know why? Because the dog is a Labrador mix. Technically a Lab-Chow mix. If it had been a "pit bull", every story out there would have said "pit bull". But for some reason, every story doesn't say Labrador. Go figure. Here's one that actually tells the breed of the dog...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack-1.2643571

[ame]https://youtu.be/C-Opm9b2WDk[/ame]

If dog in above video was a Pit do you think the cat would have saved the boy?
My buddy has a Pit and she is a lovable ***** BUT he has no kids gf or anyone else at home.
If I can use an anology what would you rather get shot with? Me I'll take a pea-shooter as opposed to 357/Pitbull.
like I said we adopted out our 8yr old Black Lab..he nipped about 6-7 times and some pretty aggressive. Kids n Lori didnt want to get rid oh him a few years back
I said "fine you are adults and its your skin"
Now since the arrivals of 3 grandbabies. They no longer had a say.
No-one can predict a dog no one
Good luck Doug

dogs have been breed for specific reasons and their instincts are thus .

and all dogs are protective of their territories. makes a big difference if a dog has an en closed yard or runs loose, or gets away from the owner in town?

how we raise and treat them has a big bearing on their behavior. and each dog has his own personality just like us people.

another thing I have noticed about every dog I have h ad. more than a few different breeds. they all seem to have some sort of problem being around small children. i'm referring to first time meetings, not after days or months. I've seen everyone be a little nippy with them. not sure what it is? the way the small child moves, reacts, so close to the ground? I always wondered.

i'm referring to first time meetings, not after days or months. I've seen everyone be a little nippy with them. not sure what it is? the way the small child moves, reacts, so close to the ground? I always wondered.

I must have an odd ball then. I have a 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer and he has always been gentle with kids, first time meeting them or long term knowing them. The kids can do just about anything to him, and if he gets tired of it he just gets up and goes to his kennel.

View attachment Cody.jpg

I must have an odd ball then. I have a 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer and he has always been gentle with kids, first time meeting them or long term knowing them. The kids can do just about anything to him, and if he gets tired of it he just gets up and goes to his kennel.

View attachment 1714845922

Lol awesome Bruce! Rockin the Tilley. What a feeling to have that amount of trust in your dog.

Lol awesome Bruce! Rockin the Tilley. What a feeling to have that amount of trust in your dog.

Yeah, I have never seen him so much as show a tooth or curl a lip around a kid. We always do watch for a few minutes when a new kid is around just to be sure though. Now you let someone try and mess with said kid, you'd better be looking for an exit strategy, lol. He's one heck of a watchdog too.

Hey Bryan, I really meant it when I said "no offense to people that own these dogs" and I certainly did not intend it offend. Also, no evidence?? The local paper here carried the story about the death of the child by means of a pit bull that went psycho.

"Any dog can act like a dog" < I don't really know what you're trying to say here. Yes, all dogs are canine; but a poodle, as far as I know, has never mauled a child and shook its lifeless body so violently that it's splattering blood all across the room.

If you are of the belief that a pit is no more of a risk than any other breed of dog, you're crazy. I hated to get rid of mine at the time, I was very attached to her. But I could simply not live with the fact that something generally goes wrong occasionally, and people, usually kids, are severely injured or killed. By a pit bull. That is exactly why:

In 2013, Farmers Insurance notified policy holders in California that "it will no longer cover bites by pit bulls, rottweilers and wolf hybrids. A spokeswoman for Farmers said those breeds account for more than a quarter of the agency's dog bite claims."

I know you are going to stand by your decision, and your right, to have pit bulls as your pets, and we are likely never going to agree on how we feel about the breed. Yes, they are dogs, but much different than most breeds.

-
Back