Please read me !

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
All though it is not against the rules there has been a ton of Political discussions on the forum here lately. I know the Economy and Presidential race are on every ones mind but I for one come here as an escape from lives frustrations.

The political debates also tend to start arguments between members which no one wants.

If you want to start a thread on politics, gas prices and the economy I wont stop you but I would rather not have to read them and I dont really have a choice because I have to make sure they dont get out of line. In the fituer I would much prefer you use a site like http://www.thepoliticalasylum.com/ which is a forum just for those topics,

If you have a favorite forum of your own please feel free to post it in this thread.

Thanks

Thank you Adam. I have my views but I try to keep them to myself. Like you say, I come here to escape the TV and endless political commercials as well as the humdrum, boring details of everyday life. I don't like being bombarded. I make my own political decisions and a post in a Mopar forum (liberal or conservative) isn't going to change my mind.

Good move and I for one most certainly approve and appreciate it.

Joe

Thanks Adam
Agreed, this site is for abodies and car talk lets keep it that way
Bruce

They never bothered me:toothy10: I never went there:read2:
And there sure has been a bunch of threads started it seems like.:-k
Good move Adam,:thumleft:

Good suggestion Adam, this a fun, friendly, informative place to get away from it all, Mopar all the way! Let's keep it that way that way we all continue to get along in the Mopar way!!

In a couple of truck forums I visit have a catagory for just political discussions. It would be nice to see that here. That way all the bickering stays there and not all over general discussion.

they still come up as new posts and Adam still has to read them.They,re all liars and thieves so why discuss them at all.

If you want to stir up some sh*t just talk about the 3 G`s, god ,guns ,or government. They seem to be the three topics that will always create the most heated debates. I`m with you Adam, although it`s interesting to see where people stand on their political views (and yes I read nearly all of those threads and find them entertaining) this is a website about A-body Mopars and the topics should predominately be about A-body Mopars. I can`t wait until Nov.5 because which ever way the election goes, at least we`ll be over it.

agreed adam..

what i did at my place which may or may not work here (you have allot more members) is made a section just for the political stuff. BBD also did it because the general section was getting annoyingly flooded with political stuff. seems to really work nicely. gives people a place where they can post anything they want about politics and the rest never have to see it. at BBD i delete anything that gets even close to racists but other then that it goes pretty smoothly. if ya decide to try it make sure everyone understands that any thread/post can be deleted at any time without having to explain.

Adam I know where you are coming from. Most days I just pass them by. Then maybe once every other week I end up checking out a few that may be in regards to something I have read a lot about in the newspaper. I think the reason that I even bother to check them out occasionally is because I KNOW that there are a TON of people here that are just good people that I respect and wouldnt mind knowing what their thoughts on a certain subject may be. But ultimately if I didnt see another new political thread pop up it wouldnt bother me at all.

I understand that a Mod's job can be a royal pain. It's difficult to keep an eye on all the stuff people write.

However, you need to keep in mind that we're living in historic times, and it's very difficult to totally avoid politics in the "general-non-automotive" section when considering just what the candidates may actually stand for.

If you talk about electric cars, there is a reason far beyond it being a "new" concept........It just may be an essential concept, and this due to "political" climates and developments.

If you talk about hunting, it can be difficult to totally avoid the real possibility of our country going the way of Canada who has already lost most of it's firearm rights because the people were too late in speaking up.

If you talk about Ma Mopar, a political bailout comes to mind in her past, and the very real possibility that we'll be faced with these issues again in the near future.

And here we are facing an election that could very well decide the future of our hobby (not an exaggeration...legislation is already in our history, and more on the way), and it's pretty difficult to totally avoid the issue since this site is centered on the hobby.

How can there be a general section with censorship of subject matter? We have a "blue forum" where it states that "anything goes"........I don't go there, and I could use the argument that "this is a Mopar site and we should talk about Mopars".........forgive me, but you can go to **** sites for that stuff, can you not? Why here? I believe that the issue is that arguments can be offensive and divisive........well, so is the blue area to some........but I don't go there, so I don't worry about it.

Especially in this political climate, and with so much at stake right now in the nation, there should be a political and legislative forum where these views and concerns can be expressed. A Moderator could volunteer to police it as far as abuse, language and slander, and you could hold the line on censorship, which I know Adam doesn't approve of anyway. He wants a balance and a stop to personal attacks member to member. BUT, we've had the same problem with snooty members before in other forums, and they've been dealt with one on one.

A separate forum and a volunteer Mod might solve the dilemma, with a warning posted about abusive language and personal attacks being dealt with by the Moderator.

Doc 8)

Well I have to say I do feel bad for Adam and any of the mods that have to read things they have no interest in, but the people that have no interest, yet take the time to read it just to ***** about how they're not interested? :munky2:

I for one come here as an escape

Yup,I dont want to hear about it personally!!!Thats NOT why I'm here.I dont give 2 sh*ts about someones political views when I am on a car forum!!

Well, you could put up a political BS board.* Then just like you can click on some ones avtar and put them on "ignore" so you can not see there posts, you can do the same thing with the political board.* So when you hit new posts they don't come up. It would be nice if you could do this with the for sale boards too. It would take a lot less time to see what is new that way (for me anyway). Then If I want I could allways go the the forums list and look If I wanted to buy something.

Just my .02

I agree with Adam. Religion and politics have started wars. Those are items that should be avoided on a forum. People feel stongly about both. If ya want enemies just start a political or religion thread.

Keep it to the politcal forums.

carry on

-RPM

I need to read our news paper more often.:-k
I mist three auto shows and runs this years just because I don't read the news paper :rolleyes:
The evening new's sure wont do it for me.:bootysha:

The biggest issue is that once you start "restricting" topics where does it end? Someone feels that some of the jokes posted in that section are too racey or off color and then that has to go too. Someone has an illness, injury, death in the family, etc and asks for peoples prayers and someone is offended by a "religious inference" so does that topic become off limits? I know that if there is an occasion that I want to talk politics I can find somewhere else to do it. But when I come here and see the "new topics" its MY choice as to which ones I click on to read. Like I said b4, it really doesnt bother me 1 way or the other. We are all responsible for our own words and actions.

Thank you Adam. Lets just keep the arguments off the site. The political threads are driving a wedge between people and this site is here to help bring Mopar minded people together and help each other out. If its something you don't agree with then you don't have to start an argument do you. If it seems like your starting a thread that either does not belong here then don't post it. Sure there might be varying opinions about how to set a motor up or something but that type of thing belongs here as long as no one beats the other guy up for his or her opinion. plain and simple use your judgement.

Well, I hate to see it myself..... What happens when guys start arguing over hunting ???? Will those post be stopped ???? When folks start arguing over restoring your cars as opposed to chopping them into race cars ??? Will those post be stopped ???? Just like the government... I hate to see to much control ..... JMO.... Thanks administrators for all your hard work ....

The biggest issue is that once you start "restricting" topics where does it end?

Which is why I didnt say it isnt allowed. I simply asked that you take it to a site that is for the topic. I wouldnt go to a Mopar site for Legal or health advice just like I wouldnt go to a political site and ask about restoring my Mopar. Just because something is allowed doesnt mean its the best place to talk about it.

I can see this thread isnt making a difference to those who are in to politics but at least I can see Im not the only one that doesnt want to hear about it all the time.

Which is why I didnt say it isnt allowed. I simply asked that you take it to a site that is for the topic. I wouldnt go to a Mopar site for Legal or health advice just like I wouldnt go to a political site and ask about restoring my Mopar. Just because something is allowed doesnt mean its the best place to talk about it.

I can see this thread isnt making a difference to those who are in to politics but at least I can see Im not the only one that doesnt want to hear about it all the time.

Good call, I think you're being quite fair with this Adam, as much as the political threads have given me some insight into the US elections to me politics and religion are both to hot of topics and should be on webforums of their own.

-
Back