Power steering……can I temporarily bypass the hose??

-

V24x2

Reaction score
Hello fabo members, I have a question.
What would happen if I just looped the power steering hose on the steering box?? I’m getting close to firing up my car and would love to take it for a spin, but I don’t have the correct PS Brackets yet, so could I just loop the hose from the inlet to the outlet on the box for the time being? Will this cause any harm or damage??…I can’t see why it would but I figured I’d ask the A-body experts! Thanks in advance…..

As long as the pump doesn't have a belt on it you will be fine, no need to worry about it. If you are planning to move the car, you may find a good deal of fluid lost from the box when you turn the wheels.

If you run a line from the outlet to the inlet of the steering gear you should be fine.

The return hose will fit over the pressure nipple, might even get a clamp on it.

It will be more difficult to steer than manual steering.

Alan

Yes you can. Convert your power steering to Armstrong Steering.

I drove with Armstrong Steering (trademark, patent pending lol) for close to 5 years.

Is it smart? Well, I'm still here.

proxy-image (28).jpeg

A bit hard on the box for long term use, but, a test drive or two should be no problem.

As long as the pump doesn't have a belt on it you will be fine, no need to worry about it. If you are planning to move the car, you may find a good deal of fluid lost from the box when you turn the wheels.
Already been there minutes after disconnecting the pump years ago! Lol.

The return hose will fit over the pressure nipple, might even get a clamp on it.

It will be more difficult to steer than manual steering.

Alan
That’s exactly what I was planning on doing. Thankyou

-
Back