power steering box/column-to manual 74scamp

-

krw340

Reaction score
I want to put a manual steering box and column with column shift in a 74 Scamp with power steering. I need to know if a box and column from a 68 or 69 Barracuda will bolt in to the Scamp ? I know that the pitman arm needs to be changed and maybe the crank pulley. Is there anything else that needs to be done for this swap ? What other steering box and shaft would work the easiest if the 68-69 doesn't ? It has a small block and Im trying to lighten the front end up.
Thanks

The box is a bolt in ( I just put a m-box from a 68 Dart in my 74 Duster) I used the Mancini racing adapter for the column shaft, so I could keep my column, I think the 69 'cuda had a dash mounted ignition switch, so you'll have to re-wire the ignition to the dash, but theres no hole for the key. It may be easier to keep your old column.

you will also need to change the center link and idler arm. neither will be compatibal with the earlier steering box if you use the earlier pitman arm

Yup, keep your column, get the adapter, use a '73-up manual box or get the early one with all it's steering linkage.

Yup, keep your column, get the adapter, use a '73-up manual box or get the early one with all it's steering linkage.

I didn't know you could get an adaptor. Sounds like that would be easier. Now to find a 73 and up manual steering box is not going to be so easy ! Thanks for the info everyone and if you run across the 73 and up box, let me know.

Does anyone know if a manual steering box from a 73 and up 4X2 Dodge pickup will work ?

If you can just swapping the shafts between columns it would save $$$$. Those adapters are kinda spendy.

You can use a 68 or 69 manual box, just get a manual pitman arm from the parts store, or like said above, get the pitman, idler and drag link from the same year as the box. I put a 68 manual box on my 73, and with just a 73 manual pitman it seems to work just fine.

Does anyone know if a manual steering box from a 73 and up 4X2 Dodge pickup will work ?
Not without major modifications it won't. The trucks use a Saginaw cast iron piece that mounts totally different than the car and the shaft length, diameter, and spline count are not the same either.

You can use a 68 or 69 manual box, just get a manual pitman arm from the parts store, or like said above, get the pitman, idler and drag link from the same year as the box. I put a 68 manual box on my 73, and with just a 73 manual pitman it seems to work just fine.
I wonder how you managed to get that to fit since the tapered stud come in from the other side.....

I wonder how you managed to get that to fit since the tapered stud come in from the other side.....

The tapered stud does not come in from the other side if you order a pitman arm for a 73 or later. It is shaped exactly like the 73 power steering pitman, except the hole is smaller to fit the manual box.

The tapered stud does not come in from the other side if you order a pitman arm for a 73 or later. It is shaped exactly like the 73 power steering pitman, except the hole is smaller to fit the manual box.

So if I use a 68-69 manual steering box and a 73 and up manual pitman arm I can use my original steering link ? Do I still need to buy a steering column adapter ? Not trying to be difficult but trying to save some money here ! Thanks for the info.

The '73-6 A-body has a large pitman shaft on both the manual and power boxes. The connection from the idler arm and pitman arm to the center link, comes in from the top and are the same angle as the tie rod ends. The '67-72 boxes have the small diameter pitman arms on both boxes and the idler and pitman studs come up from the bottom through the center link and are at a completely different angle from the tie rod ends. To swap from the '67-72 steering to the '73-6 system requires all of those parts to be included in the swap......box, pitman, idler, and center link. An adaptor for the column is the same all years and required for a power to manual swap.

It's amazing how many opinions there are on this subject. All I know for sure is: I bought a 73 manual steering pitman arm for my 73 duster, it fits perfectly on the 68 manual steering box, and fits right in the center link from the top, not bottom. I found one thread on here saying the same thing so I tried it and it works.

Take this for what It's worth, but it worked on my car. 76 bux spent at my local parts store.

Edit: Here's the post.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=974230&postcount=2

It looks like the easiest way to see if this works is to order the pitman arm for a manual steering A-body 73-76 along with steering column adapter. If it doesnt work I can send it back. The sad part is I have a new Moog pitman arm # K7076 sitting right beside me ! Second option is pull the manual box, with idler arm, and centerlink from the 68 a body and order a steering column adapter. I'm assuming the tie rod ends off the 74 will work with the 68 center link ? Did I miss anything else ?

I think (just guessing though) that your tierod ends should work. It looks like you can just turn them 180 degrees if you end up using an older drag link.

It looks like the easiest way to see if this works is to order the pitman arm for a manual steering A-body 73-76 along with steering column adapter. If it doesnt work I can send it back. The sad part is I have a new Moog pitman arm # K7076 sitting right beside me ! Second option is pull the manual box, with idler arm, and centerlink from the 68 a body and order a steering column adapter. I'm assuming the tie rod ends off the 74 will work with the 68 center link ? Did I miss anything else ?
Yeah, the tie rods should work fine. Sounds like you have the right plan.

-
Back