Power Steering Gearbox Fitting...What Size/Type?

-

jty5010

Reaction score
20210430_081600.jpg
20210429_192210.jpg
Hey everyone! Was hoping someone on here could help me out, because I have searched everywhere for an answer; currently building a 1974 Dart Sport, that has had a 400 block put in it. Since I was basically at square one, I decided to go with power steering, but of course decided to have some fun and go with Volvo electric power steering pump mod, using AN6 fittings for the hose connections. What I can't seem to find, is the size/type of fitting (is this inverted flare?) for the pressure side of the gear box. I bought this Cardone gearbox from Advance Auto, and down in the description it says it's a 1/2x20 thread, but I'm not sure on that. Aside from the low pressure port mount (which I have), is there any other piece that I need to get that goes into this port in order for a stock p/s hose to mount, or does the stock hose just thread in?

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I have a message out to Cardone, waiting on a reply, but I figured I would ask here as well. Due to the port being so close to the frame up front, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with a banjo bolt set up to get this to work. I'll throw a picture up later.

In short, looking for info for the high pressure port on the p/s gearbox;
-Thread size
-flare type

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
It depends on the year hose you use if you are going to modify a stock hose, which is my intention for my son's electric PS pump. I bought a hose for a '78 Cordoba. It takes an o-ring on the gear end with no fitting. I'm still not settled on what's happening on the pump end.

From what I can see in that description, it has a control valve that takes a hose with a male fitting with an "O"ring. If that's the hose you have, it should work. The earlier vehicles used a hose with a female fitting and a double flared line that went onto a another fitting threaded into the earlier control valve. You can't mix and match. Get everything for whichever system you're going to use. I can't remember which year they did the changeover, but somewhere in the mid 70's I think.

It depends on the year hose you use if you are going to modify a stock hose, which is my intention for my son's electric PS pump. I bought a hose for a '78 Cordoba. It takes an o-ring on the gear end with no fitting. I'm still not settled on what's happening on the pump end.
Yea, that's what I'm trying to figure out with mine; Im not sure what type of fitting it takes, or, as cudamark pointed out below, if I need that additional threaded fitting part that goes into the gearbox before the hose goes in. I was hoping to find a 90 degree AN6 fitting or, at this point, a banjo fitting that would bolt up, so if my hose ever did spring a leak, it would be an easy change. With my port being on the frame side, I have right around an inch of room to work with

From what I can see in that description, it has a control valve that takes a hose with a male fitting with an "O"ring. If that's the hose you have, it should work. The earlier vehicles used a hose with a female fitting and a double flared line that went onto a another fitting threaded into the earlier control valve. You can't mix and match. Get everything for whichever system you're going to use. I can't remember which year they did the changeover, but somewhere in the mid 70's I think.
Thanks cudamark! Unfortunately, this car didn't come with any hoses on it, just an old gearbox, I'm not sure if this box needs that fitting or not. Thank you though, I was unaware this little guy existed, maybe this is what I need. I'm going to just call Cardone today and see if I can get an answer.

Do you have an insight as to the point of that other fitting? As in, if I can find an AN6 fitting that will thread in, would I be good to go, or is there a flow purpose to that fitting?

Hmm, this guy is what came up in my search, and what I was referring to in my earlier post about it's function...

More Information for LARES 291

-
Back