Pro Street

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
What does everyone here think about Pro Street cars? I am not talking about taking a valuable muscle car and turning it into a pro streeter, but taking a base model car like a 71-74 Charger 318 car or a Satellite.

pics-max-15804-371657-1971-dodge-charger-pro-street.jpg

I was cruzen around in the 80s so I will always love a brass knuckle street build...but tires can be to wide and I never cared for most graffic paint jobs

What does everyone here think about Pro Street cars? I am not talking about taking a valuable muscle car and turning it into a pro streeter, but taking a base model car like a 71-74 Charger 318 car or a Satellite.

pics-max-15804-371657-1971-dodge-charger-pro-street.jpg

What do I think about pro-street? I think they are the coolest and best thing ever. I don't have one because I can't dish out the bucks and that is the only reason. If you have the ability and the pockets then what are you waiting for?

I don't have the pockets or the ability. I have been a member a while and never seen this subject brought up. I had a friend in VA that had a BB 73-74 Duster that he did in pro street style but with a tasteful paint job. Looked great. He sold it when he found out he was going to have a child

I love a well built pro street car. They remind me of the drag cars which I also love.

ahh...the 90s lol

Attachments

• ad27.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3,986
  • ad32.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,728
  • bb193.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,050
  • pu2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,668
What is the biggest expense while building a pro street car? Motor,trans and rear end not included.

I would think wheels and tires. Those big meats for the back do not come cheap

I would think cutting out the rear to back half it would be the biggest expense.

The newest carcraft has a badass 71 swinger prostreet sittin low with 1200HP!

I'm not into the pro street. Look at all anymore. It was cool at one time but not so much to me any more. I prefer a well rounded car that can do it all to be honest with ya...

I'm not into the pro street. Look at all anymore. It was cool at one time but not so much to me any more. I prefer a well rounded car that can do it all to be honest with ya...

I agree but pro street cars are not driven everyday. Gas prices being what they are I see them as weekend toys. Where a car like you have could be driven everyday and be dependable. Ok here comes the explosions

a few i ran into ........

Attachments

• prostreete.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,808
  • prostreetl.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1,615
  • prostreeto.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,805
  • prostreetm.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,185
  • prostreetj.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,692
.......a few more

Attachments

• prostreeta.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,561
  • prostreetd.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,651
  • prostreetg.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3,060
  • prostreeth.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,161
  • prostreetf.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,713
I agree but pro street cars are not driven everyday. Gas prices being what they are I see them as weekend toys. Where a car like you have could be driven everyday and be dependable. Ok here comes the explosions

If I can't drive it all the time I'd rather not bother with it. But hey that's me. Build what you want with your money. Different strokes and all. :)

Nice craftsmanship will always be appreciated though.

I think part of what has killed the pro street thing with steamroller tires is that it's no longer necessary for most street/strip cars. Chassis tech and tuning knowledge has advanced for the backyard racer to the point where a small tire can get it done, unless you're talking massive horsepower. Plus the fact that if you can manage to hook consistently on a 9 or 10 inch tire, you'll go faster due to the lower rotating mass and rolling resistance.

I used to love the look, but nowadays I'd rather sink that money into some nice engine pieces.

If I can't drive it all the time I'd rather not bother with it. But hey that's me. Build what you want with your money. Different strokes and all. :)

Nice craftsmanship will always be appreciated though.

I don't plan on building one I don't have pockets that deep and it can not be done on the cheap. I just like the look of a well built car no matter if it is pro touring,pro street, or a car rebuilt to stock and done well. I have never seen it brought up here and thought it would be interesting.

I think part of what has killed the pro street thing with steamroller tires is that it's no longer necessary for most street/strip cars. Chassis tech and tuning knowledge has advanced for the backyard racer to the point where a small tire can get it done, unless you're talking massive horsepower. Plus the fact that if you can manage to hook consistently on a 9 or 10 inch tire, you'll go faster due to the lower rotating mass and rolling resistance.

I used to love the look, but nowadays I'd rather sink that money into some nice engine pieces.

Yeah they have advanced a lot since the 80's. And to be honest depending on what car you have a kit can be ordered from Jegs or Summit Racing to build a pro street car fairly reasonably. Then your biggest expense falls to the rest of the car.

-
Back