Pro Street

-
My / My dad's (his car but he gave it to me) 1973 340 Duster. He's had it since 1976 and it has remained virtually unchanged (Except for wearing a bunch of different paint jobs) for over 25 years.

I guess you could call it a vintage/surviving pro-street type car (kinda). It sat in the garage since the early 90's after a small branch fell off a tree and chipped the paint on the left fender. My dad was so mad that he parked it in the back of the garage and forgot about it for about 15 years. This September when I was driving it was the first time it saw the road in 17 years, and it finally reached 60,000 miles.

220864_451394721571076_687429567_o.jpg

S5000071.jpg
Does not look very "Pro Street" to me.....

Jacked up with the meats hangin' out was definitely a '60s/'70s thing. Pro street came after that, like mid '80s well into the '90s and still kinda survives today -

I like the Duster btw

yes , i agree completely.....the "street machine" look preceeded the wheel tubs and steamrollers LOL

Attachments

• d101.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 570
I want to see an A body in Drag week unlimited class next year...

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_felix/3598264796/in/photostream/"]1968 "Pro Street" Dodge Dart GTS Convertible | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
Pretty sure this was one of the first Pro Street cars. If it is the car I am thinking of the owner is a member here. Still have the magazine it was in some where.

I love the look too. Bought this one from a buddy that got it from a guy that gave up on it when he could not get it to drive right. It was originally a /6 car. I transformed it from a mess that clearly looked stuck in the 80's or 90's to a very nice ride. Unfortunately, I had to sell it to keep from loosing my house (which I did eventually anyways).

Attachments

• pro street b4.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 520
  • drvrside1 sm.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 682
  • drvrside2 sm.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 548
  • pro street after 3.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 519
I wanted to build a pro street car. The more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that they are not practical, reliable, cheap to operate and fun to drive for more than a short trip. I wrote an article for Chrysler Power about a street/strip car. Mine is exactly what I want. Runs mid twelves driven to and from the strip (75 miles away), gets 15 mpg, has 6 way power leather buckets, 3.23 sure grip and power steering. Unfortunately age has caught up with me and I'll probably sell it next year. I put front pads on the disks and was in pain the rest of that day. My advice is don't get old!!!

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 514
  • burnout 001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 526
  • latest 002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 523
I remember this video from many years ago. Still dig it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAxeNVFQXw"]Pro Street Hemi Challenger - YouTube[/ame]

Challengers look good in ProStreet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMOCkYRIGpE"]1970 DODGE R/T CHALLENGER PROSTREET - YouTube[/ame]

'68 Charger built by John Balow & MCR before it was stolen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhJ3VNHVds8&feature=related"]Dodge Charger 1968 blown hemi - YouTube[/ame]

Jay Leno's '75 Duster.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnocas2IjM"]Jay Leno's Garage: 1975 Custom Plymouth Duster - YouTube[/ame]

Wylde1.

Personally growing up as a kid in the 80's and 90's reading Hot Rod. Pro Street was the craze. In fact most of it has inspired my build as I always loved the look.

Personally growing up as a kid in the 80's and 90's reading Hot Rod. Pro Street was the craze. In fact most of it has inspired my build as I always loved the look.

Ditto...although my Demon only go a mini-tube it did get RMS suspension, I would have loved 100% pro-street but I was afraid if I gave up the back seat for huge steam rollers and put a cage in I would regret it later. So pro-touring fit the bill better.
NEXT build will be 99% 1/4miles only, Pro Street with a massive cube big block with steam rollers, cage and the works. Tagged for the very occasional cruise. I'm thinking e-body next for that project.

I remember this video from many years ago. Still dig it.

Pro Street Hemi Challenger - YouTube

Challengers look good in ProStreet.

1970 DODGE R/T CHALLENGER PROSTREET - YouTube

'68 Charger built by John Balow & MCR before it was stolen.

Dodge Charger 1968 blown hemi - YouTube

Jay Leno's '75 Duster.

Jay Leno's Garage: 1975 Custom Plymouth Duster - YouTube

Wylde1.

Nice videos, couple of those guys have some driving issues, lol. The Jay Leno vid is great, I think he is a great guy, a true car guy like any of us,,,but with really deep pockets. He loves motorsports period, as far as I can tell he has no brand loyalty.

I tubbed and caged mine,using the chassis from a retired drag car, when my rear frame rails turned to swiss cheese. I put some pics on here in a thread once but don't know how to "move" them around,,,,:banghead:

Retired race car to pro street.Rode like a lumber wagon but alot of fun to drive.Never had a cage.
Big tire look never gets old to me.

Attachments

• cuda.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 517
What about my project? It will soon be getting a cage and dual quad tunnel ram sticking through the hood. This will be my first prostreet car ever.

Attachments

• ride4.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 494
  • ride3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 496
What about my project? It will soon be getting a cage and dual quad tunnel ram sticking through the hood. This will be my first prostreet car ever.

A work in progress. Nice work so far.

For me, pro street can be cool. But it has to look right. I see a lot of cars with the outer side of the tires way inside of the fenders, like 6 to 10 inches, on race cars and street alike. I think it looks awful. But if the tires are close to the body without rubbing, looks kick butt. But like someone else mentioned, todays tires are far better than the 80s, so not as neccessary. Keep the chrome to a minimum too!

Yea baby I love pro street. They are defiently not great handling cars but they sure get lots of looks. The bottom picture is when we first put the car on the road back in 99.

Attachments

• Suspen.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 410
  • 74duster1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 406
-
Back