Problem when car came back from shop

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I took my car in for some work, as I have no time these days, and don't have a garage right now.

While they had the motor out I asked the shop to install my new converter I have been sitting on for the last 6 months or so. They also replaced my tansmission filter , replaced the fluid, and gave the case a good pressure wash(Almost looks new!).

After I got the car back today they mentioned that it looks like I am going to need a new tranny soon as it is starting to slip.

The tranny came to me used from a FABO Member who assured me it was in fine working condition. It seemed like it worked OK to me for the small amount it was run before it went into the shop. (I am not blaming the guy who I bought it from)

The transmission does seem to be slipping a lot, especially when I get to about 3000 RPM. it also seems to be having issues when I slow down finding the proper gear and really starts slipping almost like it is in neutral. When the kick down is engaged, the slipping is very pronounced as well, and it seems like it is having a hard time picking a gear.

I did check the fluid , and it was a bit low (1/2 Quart), so I topped it up, still not fixed.

Specs:

904 transmission with Fresh fluid and filter
ACC Boss Hog Full size convert 22-2800 stall

I have never driven a car with a performance converter so I was not sure what to expect. I assume this is not how converter slip is supposed to be?

Any thoughts?

Perhaps something was bumped/missed/removed when the pan was dropped?

Converter not properly installed?

I am going to take it back to my guy, and ask him to have another look at it, but if I had some suggestions it would be nice. He is a decent guy and has done good work for me in the past, but he is not a tranny guy, more of a general mechanic shop.

The really sad part is I just gave away a known good 727 to another FABO member a couple months ago, since this one seemed to be OK. Hopefully the giving away good parts Carma will come back to me and this will turn out to be something silly/cheap to fix#-o

Hmmm.. You say you drove it some before the converter was installed and it seemed to work ok but now it doesn't. If your certain it did work right before I'd say it's a defective converter. If all he did was replace the filter and fluid and converter I don't know anything he could have "bumped" that would cause it to slip but did he adjust the bands by any chance? That would be the only thing I can think he might have done that would cause this problem?

BTW: No performance converter (hi stall) will act like that normally. I have a 3000 stall in my Cuda and it drives like a stock converter until I lay into it then it stalls to approx. 3000 rpm and gets with it.

I have taken the car for a cupe more short drives, and every time I check the tranny it is low again. So far I have added 2 full container (They in in 1 liter bottles) It seems like each time I add it the symptoms are less pronounced.

I spoke with my mechanic, and he said he completly drained the tranny, and he suspects that perhaps as the fluid is getting pushed into all the passeges etc, I am having to add more as it was not full.

I will keep on making little easy going trips, and see how it goes. Seems like I might manage to get off cheap after all. Time will tell.

Well, the converter alone will take a whole lot of fluid to fill up. I'd say that the converter was not filled before installation. I've had a similar problem in the past. It was the converter not being filled up. Once there was the proper amount in the converter as well as the rest of the trans. it was fine.

Definately seems like the converter was not filled with fluid, should be fine after the fluid level gets to where it's supposed to be!

Place the shift in neutral and let it idle for about 2 minutes. The convertor is full at that point. If wont fill in park, and it make drain back when in park and shut off. But, it sounds like it's not working right, and check for leaks. If it was pressure washed, perhaps water got in it.. it is possible. is the fluid clear red, or cloudy?

I hate to rain on you parade but she is toast.everything you said about the tranny has happened to me befor having the 904 & 727 it wont be long and your oil will start to burn and make things worst.Now I am not a tranny pro here but i know what your talking about.Been there.good luck.

Place the shift in neutral and let it idle for about 2 minutes. The convertor is full at that point. If wont fill in park, and it make drain back when in park and shut off. But, it sounds like it's not working right, and check for leaks. If it was pressure washed, perhaps water got in it.. it is possible. is the fluid clear red, or cloudy?
Good info,I just filled mine and ran it in park,shut off and checked and added more til it read full.I,m gonna have to run in neutral then check again.Hope I didn,t screw it up?It,s a new 904 rebuild with a shift kit and new 2500 stall.

-
Back